The Virginia Cream

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, there's recipes all over the net...30 seconds away. Horchata is a sweetened rice or almond water beverage with milk and spices (cinnamon) added. Not fermented even, I don't gather.

So if Blue Moon is putting out a Cinnamon Horchata ale...it's a brewers homage, not real horchata. Nothing wrong with that. Might be really good.

Well, the stated favor base is Bourbon. So not Irish Cream. I just got two Tins in yesterday and haven't had a chance to smoke any...but the pouch aroma of Bourbon is very faint...VERY faint. It'll be interesting though.

I just wonder if this might be an iceberg tip. You know, the first in a new series. Now THAT would be interesting!

It seems that a lot of people prefer smoking pipes so I wouldn't be surprised if P&C has lost some business this year although they are still #1 I awesome...their service is poor, their pipe photos stink...so yea I wouldn't put it past them to outright lie your prob right Blackhorse

Well, I never said they outright lied. I said the thing came and I replied to it and then I got a lame response and that I abhored deception, etc. Close, but not provable in court. 8)

Carlos":coqe6hnf said:
So exactly what do y'all thing the cream is similar to in this blend?  Is it kinda like an Irish cream?  
To my taste, the flavoring is more vanilla than it is bourbon. If anything it's more of a vanilla extract booziness than a bourbon booziness. I have put it through several pipes already and I think I like it better in a wider bowl. I taste more complexities with a wide cooler burning ember.
Definitely throws the conventional "smoke VaPer's in a rectangular shaped bowl" wisdom out the window. There's a nice amount of spiciness from the perique and Kentucky, probably from the bourbon too.. I mentioned Horchata because this blend is just semi-sweet and kind of cinnamony in it's spice note. For those not in the know on Horchata, as Blackhorse mentioned, it's a non-dairy rice/almond milk drink that's typically seasoned with cinnamon or other spices and it's only a wee-bit sweet but it's very refreshing, especially on ice.

Not really what I would categorize as a "creamy" smoke. It tastes bright & feels lively with a moderate spiciness.

DrumsAndBeer":hbhll9mv said:
Carlos":hbhll9mv said:
So exactly what do y'all thing the cream is similar to in this blend?  Is it kinda like an Irish cream?  
To my taste, the flavoring is more vanilla than it is bourbon. If anything it's more of a vanilla extract booziness than a bourbon booziness. I have put it through several pipes already and I think I like it better in a wider bowl. I taste more complexities with a wide cooler burning ember.
Definitely throws the conventional "smoke VaPer's in a rectangular shaped bowl" wisdom out the window. There's a nice amount of spiciness from the perique and Kentucky, probably from the bourbon too.. I mentioned Horchata because this blend is just semi-sweet and kind of cinnamony in it's spice note. For those not in the know on Horchata, as Blackhorse mentioned, it's a non-dairy rice/almond milk drink that's typically seasoned with cinnamon or other spices and it's only a wee-bit sweet but it's very refreshing, especially on ice.

Not really what I would categorize as a "creamy" smoke. It tastes bright & feels lively with a moderate spiciness.
Your review makes it want to try it....and I don't care for GLP much...It's hard to find a good vanilla blend...there's a new GQ exclusive GH blend called Brown Flake Vanilla...and it's really really good as a strong vanilla burley/virginia flake...the topping is super strong and smells amazing. So maybe i'll give this blend a try as well since its on the opposite end of vanilla scale it sounds

Bugs, be happy to ply you with a sample of you'd like.

I have heard great things about GQ blends. Glen is quite the mad scientist. The exclusive GH flake sounds good.

Have you had SG Brown Sugar Flake? That's one I have been hoping to try.

Ozark Wizard":ljb0ddb6 said:
Blue Moon Brewery has a cinnamon horchata brew out....
I've tried it.  IMO, it's awful.   :no:
I hope it will help the slow drain in my sink.

DrumsAndBeer":0syqmhmz said:
Bugs, be happy to ply you with a sample of you'd like.

I have heard great things about GQ blends. Glen is quite the mad scientist. The exclusive GH flake sounds good.

Have you had SG Brown Sugar Flake? That's one I have been hoping to try.
Hey Drums, thanks that's mighty kind of ya! it's ok I'll order a tin at some point. I haven't tried Brown Sugar Flake...I'd like too! Sounds more interesting than Cabbie's to me

Blackhorse":5hvcmi9r said:
Business Practice 101: Do not lie. Do not cheat. Do not steal. Aside from being wrong...it'll bite ya!
That's the first rule most businesses break, though. :lol:

You know, aside from auto sales, I think there are really very few businesses out their that intentionally deceive their customers. As in most situations, in business reputation is everything. Few managers (etc.) would jeopardize a public reputation for short term gain. Sure, there's going to be notable exceptions (like the recent VW computer thing) splashed around the public media, but it's rare.

In final analysis I think that P&C actually did release their misleading email 'accidentally'. :x Still ticks me off though.

Just smoked my first bowl of this, in a Stanwell 118 pot. Upon opening the tin the immediate aroma is boozy, but soft. The colors are beautiful. Very eye appealing blend, smells nice, not overly done. I'm reminded of Gregs Barbary Coast, his just a kiss of brandy kind of boozy note, nothing too overbearing or synthetic. Drawing on the unlit pipe I get bourbon and a faint, soft natural vanilla. After a couple of lights and it settling down I get bright virginia notes and suddenly I see where the topping is supposed to be. These virginias are the kind that leave a soft natural sweetness on the lips and the tip of the tongue and the topping is applied so it sits right there complimenting that sweetness. Again, in a natural way. Now I understand the cream soda comments. You know how when you take a sip of a cream soda that isn't overly sweet and the sweetness sits on the lips while the fizz sits mid palate? This is exactly what is happening with this tobacco. It works. At mid bowl there is a definite spice at mid palate that to me tastes of perique, and this works with the aforementioned sweetness. It's a vaper now, to me, and continues to build this way with the soft topped virginia sweetness diminishing and a solid creamy vaper that never gets too strong or develops and real bass notes.

It's good. Will be interesting to see how this develops by the time I get through a whole tin. Will dedicate this pipe to this blend and see how everything plays out.

PD - I think you made a good choice smoking it in a pot shaped pipe. My first attempts were in a couple billiards that I have dedicated to Va's and Vapers and the results varied. The best smokes I have had so far have been in wider shallower bowls.

Ooh! Wait! I remembered I had this sweet little James Upshall 1/8 bent pot P grade in a group 3. Just dug it out of my 'safe' drawer. Has a nice Burley smell to the bowl so no horrible ghosting. Lovely slender stem, nice robust chamber walls. Should be a good one to try with the Creme de Bourbon Pease. I might have gotten this one from Fatman some time ago...maybe not. Well there's very little if any cake in it as it's been smoked very sparingly.  I'm going to scour the bowl slightly with my sanding dowl to even everything up well...give it an inside wash and try it out. Nice!

Looks a fair bit like the Upshall in this photo but my bowl is cropped lower...should work OK?

images