The Volcano shape....Love? Hate?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isagar

Reaction score
I don't own any yet and was never a big fan but I've just fell in love with one today.
Before that, I've always thought they're not very ergonomic in the hands. But, to be fair, I've never hold one before.

What are your opinions?

I voted Neutral because it depends on how it was done, freehand, rusticated, blast, curves or just a sterile shape.
Some to me are Ghastly, some okay and then some are just beautiful.
I own one or two and they fall into to the "okay" category. Have yet to
afford a Beautiful one.

Same here. I would have to see it and feel it to decide. I have not against the shape. If I have any preference it is more that the pipe is bent rather then straight. As for the bowl shape I don't have any absolutes saying I would not like one shape or another.

If you like the pipe I say go for it!

I've just pulled the trigger, fingers crossed...

I, too, have heard that they're generally good smokers. But how do they feel in the hands? Logic would suggest that the index and middle finger won't be as supported like that of a billiard shape....

Sadly I won't receive it until at least the 14th cause I'm going overseas for a wedding :cry:

I don't hate it - I just don't much like it either.  I do like a nice banker though, which has always seemed to my mind to have a volcanoe-like bowl, just more subdued (except for the Charatan banker - that's more rounded).

Go along with the other "neutrals!" It depends on the pipe!!!! I have two or three; but I've puked over 100's more! FTRPLT

Isagar":bf52edv5 said:
I've just pulled the trigger, fingers crossed...

I, too, have heard that they're generally good smokers. But how do they feel in the hands? Logic would suggest that the index and middle finger won't be as supported like that of a billiard shape....

Sadly I won't receive it until at least the 14th cause I'm going overseas for a wedding :cry:
Got a pic you can share?

IMO they feel every bit as comfortable in the hand as any other pipe. There again, I don't have any outrageous designs on the ones I have. I'd post pics if I could.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":deefnw5b said:
Got a pic you can share?

IMO they feel every bit as comfortable in the hand as any other pipe. There again, I don't have any outrageous designs on the ones I have. I'd post pics if I could.

Cheers,

RR
Here you go, it's made by Jorgen Nielsen

getImageVar.asp

Isagar":215850qq said:
Brewdude":215850qq said:
Got a pic you can share?

Cheers,

RR

getImageVar.asp
I'm in the neutral camp too but this is a beautiful pipe and I won't mind having one like it.

Enjoy :cheers: 

Your kidding right? You had to ask us if it was okay to buy that?
I can only dream of pipes like that.:fpalm: 
If I had the money to buy pipes like that, I'd just buy'em.
That definitely falls into my Beautiful/can't afford category sir.

Cartaphilus":rh7o2iwy said:
Ditto

SpeedyPete":wyci9b85 said:
Cartaphilus":wyci9b85 said:
Ditto
Well nowadays, instead of buying 5 cheaper pipes, I save up for 1 dearer pipe.

My total budget is still the same tho :(

I never really thought about the Volcano shape until I saw one of Downie's pipes: http://www.downiepipes.com/volcano.html

After seeing that particular pipe I have felt very drawn to the shape, even tried making one myself but it went horribly wrong, yup, I really like that shape these days, the one I linked to definitely falls into the 'pipe of dreams' category for me any way. :sunny: 

I love the natural, rusticated versions. Talbert makes some beautiful ones. They look like a tree stump. In a good way.

SpeedyPete":5nybvwcm said:
Isagar":5nybvwcm said:
Brewdude":5nybvwcm said:
Got a pic you can share?

Cheers,

RR

getImageVar.asp
I'm in the neutral camp too but this is a beautiful pipe and I won't mind having one like it.

Enjoy :cheers: 
Beautiful pipe SPete.

Is that a lacquer finish?

Cheers,

RR

Although i don't have any as of yet I do like the shape and from what i've seen of a few they can really accent a nice birds eye grain on the bottom.