the wallet says 'what are you doing'?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgwilt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Today, just for the fun of it, I thought I'd see how expensive this hobby has been since I started in late October 2011.

So far, I have spent around $1800 on pipes alone! Combine that with various tobacco samplers, pipe rack, ashtray, pipe cleaners and other accesories (Must accessorize!) it looks like about $2000 in two months.

I don't regret it because it is sooo relaxing and a lot of fun. I think I'll try to stop just buying pipes right now (although a few recommendations on good smokers that are less than $50 would be welcomed) and concentrate on tobacco and storage.

This is fun!!!

We go in spurts. I’ve been adding to my collection since April. I don’t want to know how much I’ve spent. Enjoying every minute of it though!

Tim_Haggerty":hs876pia said:
But can you thing of a better investment?
The return on the investment cannot be calculated by cash alone, huh?

I think of all the relaxing hours spent smoking a bowl and that's where the return really kicks in!

Tom

Tim_Haggerty":q3j82ygb said:
But can you thing of a better investment?
:cheers:
Best to enjoy it and have fun, just stop short of bankruptcy!

I don't know about this great investment that pipes are reputed to have. I used to believe it as 1/2 the price of a $400.00 pipe is $200.00; so I get that much after having smoked a great pipe for years.

But my experience doesn't bear this out. Last year I sold some very pretty, as well as pretty, smooth pipes, all of them with straight grain, for $405.00. In total I sold I think 6 pipes. I must have paid $1200.00 for them. Big loss. I sold them to an estate pipe dealer. Sell your pipes to smokingpipes or The Pipe Rack and you also get a miserable return.

Who else do you sell to? Board members? In my experience you have to offer a big discount to them as well.

I don't really look at my pipes as a investment, I look at them like little pieces of art that I may enjoy at anytime of the day or night. And having well over a 150 pipes I try not to remember of research how much I've sent on them. All I can think about is the next piece of art I will acquire to add to my collection.

If by chance I do sell any or all, I always look at it this way, " a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". In other words, my belongings are not making me any money sitting on a shelf and the money I spent on them is long gone and forgotten. So with an empty pocket I'm willing to fill it with the highest bid.

Thats the way I see it. money gone is money gone. I can always make more to spend. Remeber you cant take it with you and your kids will fight over it. So enjoy what you can. If the world goes to bad, money want help. Guns and ammo, and a good pipe, and some tobacco to smoke. Now look what yall did , I need more ammo :roll:

Again, You and me both.
Down to one box of 45 long colts and no shot gun shells.
Oh Well, At least I have my pipes.

The word "investment" is not always to be connected with money and finances. For some of us "investment" has more to do with "peace of mind"!

Uh, I shouldn't have read this. I keep a spreadsheet on pipes, current and past pieces. I've spend $1,800 since May...but resold several for $624. 24 pipes in total, seven were new, 14 current. I did sell some of my unused fly fishing gear/vintage motorcycle parts to start the adventure, so that offsets it by about $1,000. So, I'm around $300 or so in. So, that averages $21/pipe for my current collection of 14. Whew, that makes me feel better....

Future pipe purchases will only be for resale or something has to leave the rack for a new one (remind me that I said this...) Piece of mind is the only way to think about it!

plumbernater":apnfefii said:
Enjoy what you can. If the world goes to bad, money wont help. Guns and ammo, and a good pipe, and some tobacco to smoke. Now look what yall did , I need more ammo :roll:
When the apocalypse comes I hope it finds me high on top of Brasstown Bald smoking a pipe with plenty of "end-of the world-tobacco" in my backpack. I'm not worried about too many unwholesome folks wandering around up there. ;)