The Whistler

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
I am always amused when a pipe maker not only says "passes the pipe cleaner" but also "doesn't whistle".

We've all had whistlers, however slight it may be.

This morning I opened a tin of Fillmore and after a brief drying time, loaded a David's Choice billiard savinelli. For the charring light, I puffed fairly strong and was amused that it whistled :D

I find it kind on entertaining.

BTW, with regular puffing, no problems. Actually, a whistler could be a training pipe for those who need to slow down their puffing

Any whistling stories out there.

yeah...mine all whistle, until i was told if a pipe is whistling, i'm sucking too damn hard! so i easied up. 'a gentle kiss' is what my brother told me to do. (apparently i was sucking face.) the whistling stopped, tobacco started tasting better. weird. :scratch:

Oh my Sp!!!
This is a hectic tin of worms you have opened here!!!!
Greg Pease has some interesting articles on his site regarding this phenomena. The conclusion is that a clean whistle free airway at about 4mm is the answer, I agree!!!!
That said I have a Radice whistler with a sub 3mm draft and it somkes FVF like a machine!!!
It depends on the shape and make of pipe I suppose and what you smoking in it. Lastly then, how you pack!!!

Piet Binsbergen":63yua0ks said:
Lastly then, how you pack!!!
how do you pack, piet? i've been packing a lot less lately, just pretty much filling the bowl, tapping the side of the pipe with my thumb and topping it off.

bruins":3lp8n0yc said:
Piet Binsbergen":3lp8n0yc said:
Lastly then, how you pack!!!
how do you pack, piet? i've been packing a lot less lately, just pretty much filling the bowl, tapping the side of the pipe with my thumb and topping it off.
Yea Bruins, I try to keep it simple, Depends what I am smoking tho, I do the same!!!!
I have found that packing a little looser starting with a gravity feed works well lately!!!

Whistling pipes are only acceptable if the draft hole is bored at 4.212 mm above which the whistle is indicative of roughness in the hole except in sandblasts which cool faster on the outside and therefore the acceptable threshhold is 4.013 mm unless an acrylic stem (which resonates at a higher frequency) is involved, in which case the 3.998 mm is the critical size, unless the airway is over 33.023 mm long. Or in the words of John Cleese:

Now before I begin the lesson will those of you
who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes
down on to the lower peg immediately after lunch before you
write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut,
unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this
weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case collect his
note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your
hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the
lower peg for you. Now...

I'm really starting to think that some of these bits of "wisdom" being tossed around are total rubbish. I've got some very very good pipes. And some are put together fantastically, and some are not. And I've got some well put together ones (that do not even whistle!) that are totally mediocre.

50% briar, 50% engineering, 10% magic.

Sasquatch":izjjymcr said:
Whistling pipes are only acceptable if the draft hole is bored at 4.212 mm above which the whistle is indicative of roughness in the hole except in sandblasts which cool faster on the outside and therefore the acceptable threshhold is 4.013 mm unless an acrylic stem (which resonates at a higher frequency) is involved, in which case the 3.998 mm is the critical size, unless the airway is over 33.023 mm long. Or in the words of John Cleese:

Now before I begin the lesson will those of you
who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes
down on to the lower peg immediately after lunch before you
write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut,
unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this
weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case collect his
note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your
hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the
lower peg for you. Now...

I'm really starting to think that some of these bits of "wisdom" being tossed around are total rubbish. I've got some very very good pipes. And some are put together fantastically, and some are not. And I've got some well put together ones (that do not even whistle!) that are totally mediocre.

50% briar, 50% engineering, 10% magic.
thanks for bringing a bit of science to this sas! (and a bit of clease :cheers: )