The wonderful and mysterious art of pipe smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogbert

Reaction score
I've been smoking for almost 4 years now, and believed that I had figured out a halfway decent way to pack my pipe. I generally packed loser than I thought I should etc. just for giggles, lately ive been packing much tighter than I am inclined to, and I have had nothing but pleasant results :p

Damn you pipe smoking, you mysterious vixen.

Strange. My experience has been the exact opposite. We apparently reached the ideal middle from different ends. But I still overpack unless I watch myself, my moronic tendency being to "get more in, it'll last longer." Big mistake. For me, the ideal pack seems to be just barely tighter than what it would take to keep the tobacco from dumping out if the pipe were inverted. Works for me, whenever I remember to rein in my subconscious impulse.

I have watched numerous "how to pack a pipe" videos, and it is always very difficult to judge how hard they are pressing the tobacco into the bowl so I've just been doing the least packing possible. I've seen many where they are using much more force so I figured I would try. Nothing that constricts the airflow more than slightly, but still tighter than I have been for ages. I'll have to experiment more and see how I adapt

nogbert":sgjz738t said:
I have watched numerous "how to pack a pipe" videos, and it is always very difficult to judge how hard they are pressing the tobacco into the bowl so I've just been doing the least packing possible. I've seen many where they are using much more force so I figured I would try. Nothing that constricts the airflow more than slightly, but still tighter than I have been for ages. I'll have to experiment more and see how I adapt

One thing that helps IMENSLY is to smoke ONE blend for a period of time and you can learn how to pack and light becomes more "known" as you go. Smoking different types of blends from one bowl to the next does not really help you "learn". Pick a blend, pick some pipes to smoke it in and take the time to "learn" what this can teach you about packing. If you pack and smoke a Flake in one bowl, then go to a ribbon cut blend in the next it will be harder to learn :twisted: :twisted: 

monbla256":vw5n1z0c said:
nogbert":vw5n1z0c said:
One thing that helps IMENSLY is to smoke ONE blend for a period of time and you can learn how to pack and light becomes more "known" as you go. Smoking different types of blends from one bowl to the next does not really help you "learn". Pick a blend, pick some pipes to smoke it in and take the time to "learn" what this can teach you about packing. If you pack and smoke a Flake in one bowl, then go to a ribbon cut blend in the next it will be harder to learn  :twisted: :twisted: 

I totaly agree with Michael's advice. In addition, you will learn that the moisture content has some bearing on packing a bowl too tight. The drier the tobacco, the easier it will be to let air pass into and around the cut, and prevent plugging the draft hole completely. This is one reason I really favor flake tobaccos and ready rubbed blends.

Dutch":fm98bakv said:
I totaly agree with Michael's advice. In addition, you will learn that the moisture content has some bearing on packing a bowl too tight. The drier the tobacco, the easier it will be to let air pass into and around the cut, and prevent plugging the draft hole completely. This is one reason I really favor flake tobaccos and ready rubbed blends.
I hate to say it, I agree with Mon on this one, too.

Though I do have to add, switching tobaccos is a great way to just learn about tobacco in general for some. I sit on that parade float, myself. No matter the cut, I prefer a little resistance in the bowl to make the draw just right. Since pipes are drilled all quite differently, it takes even remembering which pipes are better for what tobacco, but it all comes together. This isn't a race, nor a points-game, so, any ground gained is ground earned. If the tobacco is good enough even when you're not quite doing it right, and the pipe fits, it's motivation enough to continue.

May you find more breakthroughs and "wow" moments, Nog! :cheers: