The WORST paper products for fountain pen users.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Bash? Oh my no. Would never do that. Just passing along some data.

<h3 class="post-content">MOLESKINE</h3>
Lots of REALLY EXPENSIVE high end products. But the paper feathers, bleeds through and is like sandpaper. May be good for pencil heads but fountain pen literati take note...MOLESKINE paper totally sucks for use with fountain pens.

A big fat wonderful Tsubame 100 page B5 notebook will cost you $8 at either Nanami Paper dot com or look for Life paper products there and at Jet Pens dot com. A MOLESKINE of the same size is in the $30 range. Ouch! :x :x :x

You have been warned!

Yeah, I have found them really hit or miss. I have not purchased one in a few years but heard that they are not produced in one place so the paper quality really varies from factory and source. May be true, may not be.

My only problem is that I have a great leather cover that is designed to fit one so I keep going back. My workaround is to take my fountain pen with me and make a few marks in the back page to see how the paper responds. Usually I can find a decent one.

All that said, there are without a doubt better quality notebooks and paper out there. ;)

My worst experience with paper when using a fountain pen was a journal I purchased a few years ago, Oberon journal. You want to talk about bleed thru, this paper is GARBAGE. The WORST I've ever used.

PS
MOLESKINE ......your better off using foreskin!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Yeah, I could rant on, but it is to no avail. What bothers me most is the high prices paired with the poor and inconsistent quality. Very sad.

At least there are other very excellent options...like those presented elsewhere here and of course Clairfontaine/Rhodia.

I prefer to let it be that the MOLESKINE and others that perform poorly with a fountain pen are just designed for a different purpose. Each paper is perfectly mated to a different media.