They're just meer questions...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
...I got an IMP meer recently. It's really cool, haven't received it quite yet but I do have a few questions.

* Storage (especially post-smoked): stem-up to let it drain and air out properly--but I assume NOT in the case, right? This would seem to me the air flow would be hindered possibly making it go musty a bit faster.

* Cake management: what tool do you guys use? The Czech tool has rounded edges (unlike my cheap, aluminum pipe nail) and I don't want to scratch the bowl, or make unnecessary contact. I'm not a "cake building" kind of guy, I don't smoke often enough and I wipe down the bowl ash after every smoke.

* Beeswax: the most varied subject on the matter of meers by far. Should I get some and enlist some routine, or just let the stuff IMP put on there do its work? Yeah yeah, I know the "handling" subject, and I'm not planning on fondling the hell out of the thing so it'll color evenly. My question is specifically about how necessary additional beeswax routines may or may not be.

* Cold weather: So I have partial intentions of smoking this at 10°F, but don't want thermal shock to have the chance to crack the bowl. Isn't that only applicable if the pipe was left outside and had a wild swing of temperature? Isn't this dependent on how "moisture saturated" it is from, maybe, a previous smoke (or three) and then being left outside, and THEN relighting the pipe? How many people have cracked a meer smoking outside when it is too cold? Being careful and on advice of risk is one thing, but paranoid via "pipe legend" isn't good enough for me. Perhaps it all comes down to more condensation with temperature differences and soaking in the meer simply making it not be able to perform as well from smoke to smoke. Just a theory.

* The stem: clockwise twist if it needs to come off--got it. How often do you guys usually pop off the stem? I know some guys never remove their stems on briar and others (like myself) that take them off routinely to clean.

* Cleaning: Speaking of cleaning, same deal with briar, good ethanol/isopropanol as a scrub when needed? I did read not to shove a pipe cleaner into the shank wantonly so to not scratch the bottom of the bowl. What say ye?

Feel free to post personal accounts, methods, trials and errors, opinions, links, theories and speculations. I'll sort it all out eventually and get what I need. 8)

Getting excited to receive my first new meer. :cheers:

Kyle Weiss":oyppiywi said:
...I got an IMP meer recently. It's really cool, haven't received it quite yet but I do have a few questions.

* Storage - I put it back in its case, but not shut.

* Cake management: - Zero cake, I wipe out the bowl with a paper towel soaked in Everclear after every bowl.

* Beeswax: - Haven't bothered re-waxing, prolly won't either.

* Cold weather: - Screw that! My meers don't ever have to worry about that.

* The stem: - As with all my pipes, I don't remove the stem unless I have to.

* Cleaning: - Yeah, Meer is very soft. You could scratch it with a pipe cleaner - be careful. I don't use bristle cleaners either.

Hermit:

Thanks for the advice, especially the everclear/paper towel trick. I am likely not going to risk the cold weather, but I just wanted to know what the real story was--the risk is probably not worth it, but I need to find those limits! 8) As far as your in-the-case-but-not-shut storage, upright stem as much as possible though, yeah? No? Does it matter? As far as bristle brushes, I have one, only use it in the filthiest of my estates--much prefer fluffy cleaners and regular ones. No worries there. 8)

My only insight is to the waxing everything else I agree with above mentioned. I think I really helps a meer color and develop character. I wax mine either once a year or after 2 to 3 pounds of tobacco has been smoked in it. Waxing however does not effect smoke quality from my experience.

Cigar2you":sjvbkur6 said:
My only insight is to the waxing everything else I agree with above mentioned. I think I really helps a meer color and develop character. I wax mine either once a year or after 2 to 3 pounds of tobacco has been smoked in it. Waxing however does not effect smoke quality from my experience.
What's your preferred product and method for waxing, as you do in your yearly routine? Just curious. 8)

Like I said we usually do it as a group, we use natural beeswax in a large pot on a hot plate. Heat the wax til melted, place a cork in the bowl of the pipe to seal the wax out, dip the pipe into the wax up to where the stem meets the bowl, hold it in til the bubble start to stop ( it will bubble as the meer absorbs the wax), remove and place suspended on a rack to dry

I beat mine. Not literally, of course, but it's my "workhorse." I even hold the bowl while smoking, the same as any other pipe. It gets less care than a good briar would, even from me. But mine is heavily carved. Prints don't show up on the eagles and crap carved on it. If it were smooth, I think I would use more care if the appearance were a concern. Other than what has already been mentioned, I wouldn't use whiskey or anything inside the shank. I also suggest smoking it over a carpeted floor. Like the clumsy cretin I am, I've dropped mine twice--so far, to no effect, but next time...?

Cigar2you":wpyci68b said:
Like I said we usually do it as a group, we use natural beeswax in a large pot on a hot plate. Heat the wax til melted, place a cork in the bowl of the pipe to seal the wax out, dip the pipe into the wax up to where the stem meets the bowl, hold it in til the bubble start to stop ( it will bubble as the meer absorbs the wax), remove and place suspended on a rack to dry

Doesn’t dipping pipe in hot wax pull some of the color out of your pipe?

Kyle;

I stand my meers stem up to cool and dry for an hour and push a pipe cleaner thru and wipe bowl with paper towel before placing back in case to prevent sour buildup in stem, I remove and clean stem and shank with everclear every dozen smokes.

To clean outside I use warm water or spit on a q-tip when needed, they never really get that dirty.

I have bees wax that I warm by rubbing with old white t-shirt on my finger when the mood strikes, but do use a dab of extra virgin olive with same shirt and wipe down after each use.

But thats just me. :drunken:

Thanks guys...

My new meer is pretty rusticated, so I doubt the occasional hold will harm the look of it too much--then again, it has a longer stem than most, and the idea was a better "handle."

As I smoke outside, carpet is kind of out of the question, but, I'm pretty adept at not dropping stuff. Usually... *knocks on keyboard...klkmkm <--- (actual knocking)

:lol:

It actually brings out the color and enhances it. It also will speed the process up. And yes after you have smoked 10 or so bowls through it I find that I don't have any issues holding the pipe by the bowl

Most of the messages here cover it all, but remember that extreme temps will Crack a meer. Don't light up an ice cold meer. And never build a cake in a meerschaum pipe because that is also reason to crack the bowl. Caution when using pipe cleaners because the wire tip will eventually break right through the bowl if you push it all the way into the bowl after repeated usage. Just a couple thoughts.

Hi Kyle,congratulations for you IMP.I had good experiences with mine.Regarding the color,i left it as it came and it colored wonderfull with no additional waxing.I did not smoked it up to the bottom,only about 4/5 and i think that helped in the coloration.Like you,i always cleaned the bowl after every smoke with papertowel and in the event of cake formation i scrap it with my nails.I never used any kind of alcohol and never used the case.I hope that you enjoy your pipe as much as i did mine

It came today, it's exactly what I wanted. I couldn't be happier. 8)

6675924297_7e3847b0f4_b.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Kyle

I love the shape and texture. It looks great with the longer stem. Be sure to post more pictures as it starts to color

Jon

Cigar2you":r0qvbwss said:
Kyle

I love the shape and texture. It looks great with the longer stem. Be sure to post more pictures as it starts to color

Jon
That's going to be fun. I should take a picture a week in the exact same place/setup so I can make an animated series.

I am more careful cleaning toward the bottom of the bowl with a pipe cleaner due to the soft nature of meerschaum, but not obsessed. I think it would take a lot of effort to drill though the pipe or even weaken the pipe wall with a pipe cleaner.