Things you are affraid to do

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
I have been using a double edge razor for over 10 years.
I shave twice with the grain and once against the grain. I am affraid to go against the grain on my chin, beneth my lower lip and between my uper lip and nose.
I would also like to try a straight edge razor, but I am affraid.
Our insurance doesn't cover plastic surgery and there is no phone in the bathromm to call 911.
Thanks for letting me share my fears.

I am afraid to walk down Main Street in Tehran (while shaving), wearing a Star of David t-shirt and shouting obscenities about Mohammed thru a megaphone :shock: Irrational? or is it? :farao:

Tim in Ohio":a57czwm5 said:
I am afraid to walk down Main Street in Tehran (while shaving), wearing a Star of David t-shirt and shouting obscenities about Mohammed thru a megaphone :shock: Irrational? or is it? :farao:
I've done that exact thing several times, and you'd be surprised how supportive the community is :)

-Andrew

Well, I don't mean to dominate this thread with my OWN fears, but Andrew looks so much like an attentive psychoanalyst in his avatar pic... and since our hour isn't up yet... I'll just stretch out on the couch here and continue

I'm also afraid of urinating a little on a small patch of carpet in the corner of my bosses office [EDIT:So as not to be off-topic for the forum] WHILE SHAVING :roll:. To be more precise... afraid of getting caught and being fired. However, in the spirit of facing my fears... I don't let that stop me.
Boss: "Does it smell like vitamins in here?" :scratch:
Me: "No Boss... I DO smell something... not getting vitamins... but what?" :evil:
Boss: "Have maintenance check the plumbing in the restroom."
Me: "Yes sir. Right away sir." :suspect:

Tim said
Well, I don't mean to dominate this thread with my OWN fears
Thanks for your consideration, but you hijacked it a long time ago.
I hope that YOUR therapy session was helpful

Bub":2i2blv07 said:
Tim said
Well, I don't mean to dominate this thread with my OWN fears
Thanks for your consideration, but you hijacked it a long time ago.
I hope that YOUR therapy session was helpful
Awww. No hard feelings I hope Bub? It's just that I noticed your lonely post had gone unanswered for a month! :silent: And I interpreted the title "Things YOU are afraid to do" as an invitation to post.

Just trying to breathe a little new life into it.

I'll back off and leave you awaiting a response. Again, please accept my apologies!

Thanks Tim, I am a lonely guy who speaks in small caps

:) I don't follow. But no need to be loney Bub! Also, Re: Straightrazors... I got into them for a while. Never found shaving nirvana like i hoped. I even had my barber who has been barbering since WWII do hot towels and a straight razor shave on me a couple of times... Still, not the holy grail i was looking for.

Anyways. I'll be on the lookout for your posts. No lonely Brothers if i have anything to say about it. ;)

Bub":cbwryh2m said:
I have been using a double edge razor for over 10 years... I am afraid to go against the grain on my chin, beneath my lower lip and between my upper lip and nose... I would also like to try a straight edge razor, but I am afraid.
Hey Bub,

My first shaving implement, was a safety razor dad gave me thirty some odd years ago, sadly that razor was lost in a move in the 80’s, I replaced it with a straight razor and later added a classically styled Merkur butterfly.

A lot of apprehension came along with that first shave using a straight razor, and I cut myself a few times learning to use it, but nothing that ever required more than the use of a septic stick to bring the bleeding to a halt. I have no fear of shaving with or against the grain anywhere on my face using the safety/double edge razor… even after twenty five years shaving with a straight razor, I’m not comfortable shaving against the grain with it.

I believe, for most, the really challenging part of owning and using a straight razor is learning to properly hone and strop the razor to keep it in optimum shaving condition. I shave daily through spring and summer, not at all during the cooler months, other than Wahl clippers, nothing beats a straight razor for shedding that winter beard.

I liken using a straight razor to getting body piercings, the most painful part is getting past the fear.

Big D.

Slow Puffs":ce4a4abh said:
Affraid to do ? Go to this barbershop for a shave...
Even if I could go back in time, I'd trust my own hand over that of another.

Tim in Ohio":fy15apv4 said:
but Andrew looks so much like an attentive psychoanalyst in his avatar pic...
Tim, he don't look nothing like that in person! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bub, my recommendation would be to just stop shaving. I did 30 years ago and man the freedom is awesome! :D