Thinking of a Hookah

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougc905

Reaction score
So on eBay you can't miss the ads for hookahs that seem to appear at the bottom of every page. This has me thinking of buying one. Not to smoke the narghil or whatever it is but for our pipe tobacco. To accomplish this I think a briar or meerschaum bowl would be required. Given the dimensions of the stem that the ceramic bowl sticks into on the hookah, I think that any accomplished carver could produce a suitable bowl.

Any thoughts? Should I give it a try or do I need a knock upside the head?

Doug

It won't work....

About the closest you'll come is to smoke Tombak or one of the other styles....

The coals would burn your briar pretty quickly...also pipe tobacco doesn't have enough moisture..it just burns up, and I mean FAST.. Plus at 30-60g per smoking session it would whack the wallet hard..

My suggestion is to check out

www.hookahpro.com and read about some others who have tried something similiar to what you are wanting to do...

BTW: there are tons of good flavored shisha to smoke.. And I don't mean the fruity stuff either...although I do groove on some of the Lemon flavors... 7 spice, 1001 nights, and a few others are just great.

If you did want a water-cooled pipe tobacco experience, there's no reason you couldn't get a device ostensibly sold for that very purpose at your local incense, tapestry, and tie-dye shirt store. :afro: It'd be a little ludicrous and unwieldy, and you'd be relighting constantly, but on paper, it'd work.

I see what you mean about the charcoal and the dry pipe tobacco. What if I forgo the coals and just rely on puffing to keep the tobacco lit? I'm thinking that a 'regular' shaped bowl would allow the tobacco to burn in a similar way as it does in a pipe.

Yea.... I guess that you are referring to a bong or vaporiser. Not for me!

The primary draw to the hookah is the way that you can get some pretty nice looking ones with decent vases and hoses. The secondary draw is the water cooled aspect. I think it would be hilarious to sit out on the porch during the summer and bubble away. Freak the neighbours out..... I'd be willing to spend about $200 all-in to give this a try.

Doc Manhattan":d09tibo9 said:
If you did want a water-cooled pipe tobacco experience, there's no reason you couldn't get a device ostensibly sold for that very purpose at your local incense, tapestry, and tie-dye shirt store. :afro: It'd be a little ludicrous and unwieldy, and you'd be relighting constantly, but on paper, it'd work.

I wouldn't want to either--but scientifically speaking, it should work. The usual contents of a water bong will ignite with a regular lighter flame, as will tobacco.

(I have always wondered what pipe tobacco would taste like in a vaporizer, with its lower-temperature delivery... Neil Archer Roan's article on the differences in temperature between match lighting and butane lighting got me thinking. Not going to spend hundreds of dollars to find out... rather spend it on more conventional pipes.)

Go to www.hookahpro.com

Join.

Go to www.hookahjohn.com

Buy a syrian/Al Fahker OR a Khalil Mamoon...

Get some free coals n other stuff...

Buy some of that 'taditional' tobacco... Its dryer than normal shisha and unflavored...seems like someone said its a Virginia...

Don't forget to find his discount code for HP members he LOVES those guys.. Might even say he has HPLove.. Hmmm HPLove nice.. Too bad his name isn't hookah phil or HPLove would be a real nice 10% off coupon code... (Pssssst..if ya aint figured it out, being a member of Hookah Pro (free and easy) and entering a coupon code that would be the opposite of HPHate will get ya 10% off.. :D :D :D )

Check out this site. They sell water pipes for smoking tobacco like mentioned here. Some resemble hookas with hoses.

http://www.smokersplaza.com/plain-glass-pipe-c-87.html

The draft holes are so large with these, they need a screen with a large enough mesh that our tobacco doesn't goop it up and clog it. They come with screens but they are too tight of mesh for our tobacco. Some pipe web sites sell screens with the larger mesh.

The glass bowl variety is probably best. You can get them with wood bowls but they are just that: Wood. Our tobacco would burn through it. Drug store tobaccos like Prince Albert would be the best at staying lit in these.

The smoke from these devices is inhaled isn't it?I understand they are a bitch to clean.

Mr.Negativity :sunny:

wont work. Those are designed to steam the flavor from molasses. You wont get a good draw with any briar full of tobacco.

Good idea though.

I like my hookah. may smoke it tomorrow

The big ones are a bitch to clean which is why you buy the MYA QT. Easily wash it in the sink like you would a glass.

The thought of smoking tobacco in a bong like someone suggested, made me cringe.

Everytime I've smoked a hookah I found it impossible to NOT inhale. You will end up inhaling the smoke unlike a pipe, so this might be unpleasant with pipe tobacco.

My Iraqi conterpart would smoke his every time we came back from a mission and I would smoke my pipe. It wasnt long before he wanted to trade his hooka for one of my pipes. I gave him one of my pipes and some tobacco and he gave me his hooka when I left. I have it in my office and never smoked it once I came back home its nice to look at but it would never replace my good old briar pipes.
Best Regards
Richard

Dodge":wckz411e said:
Everytime I've smoked a hookah I found it impossible to NOT inhale. You will end up inhaling the smoke unlike a pipe, so this might be unpleasant with pipe tobacco.
Health issues aside (personal decision), conventional pipe tobaccos are generally the wrong Ph for lung inhalation >> discomfort.

Buddy