thinking of trying Peterson blends again.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
Irish oak was my first real tobacco I tried way back in 99. I have not tried any of the Peterson blends since. I have forgoten how it was but had fond memories of the tobacco. I am thinking of trying a few of their non aromatic blends including Irish Oak, Old Dublin, Balkan Delight, and Sherlock Holmes. I would love to hear your experiences with any of these. I tend to veer towards English blends and va/per blends right now.

I found Sherlock Holmes to be somewhat disappointing.

Old Dublin is a very nice Lat. blend.

University Flake (Va/Bu with light berry topping) and Irish Flake (strong Bu blend) are also fantastic blends.

Enjoy.

Todd

Balkan Delight, contrary to what the name suggests, has no ORs in it; it's just VAs and LAs and it's fairly good.

Been a good long time since I smoked any Lat' blends but Old Dublin was an exceptionally good smoke as I recall for the ol'Lat' blends from Peterson.

Irish Oak is absolutely sublime, never ever fails to provide an excellent and satisfying smoke, don't be fooled by the Cavendish or the Sherry in the mix, neither are really noticeable at all, just an beautifully well balanced Va/Per.

If you're into a bit of some Old Skool Va smokes then you have got to get into Petersons 3p's plug tobacco, okay so it has some Burley in the mix but not enough to take away from the Va, it is a very Old Skool flavour profile and not one many chaps younger than yourself will be able to appreciate but I reckon you will 'get it'. It tastes of what it is, tobacco, but it is a wonderfully satisfying smoke, one I highly recommend.

Damn, now I really want a smoke, enjoy the journey Buddy.

Yo tar

Yup - Old Dublin is certainly one of my high rankers in my Top200 Cellar. Balkan Delight is pretty good too. Last weekend at the New York Pipe Club picnic, romeowood brought some pouches (!) of new Pete blends, and the Wild Atlantic was an excellent English/Balkan - rich but still lighter than OD.

hp
les

Haven't tried University Flake although it's been on my list for a long while, but I always enjoy smoking Irish Flake & 3p's Plug. I'll be interested to try both of these again now that Mac Baren is making them. I didn't care for Irish Oak, but then again the last time I smoked it I was also smoking quite a bit of Long Golden Flake, and to my taste every VaBurPer pales in comparison to that weed..

I enjoyed Irish Oak. Both stronger in flavor and more idiosyncratic than most Va/Pers, it's a lovely smoke.

I consider Irish Flake to be the iconic Peterson smoke. Strong yet tasteful. The Ernest Hemingway of tobaccos.

aadelma":mx06fdh4 said:
I consider Irish Flake to be the iconic Peterson smoke. Strong yet tasteful. The Ernest Hemingway of tobaccos.

Irish Flake is a fine smoke for sure yet if I were to place one above the others I would personally opt for 3 P's, then again I am a huge fan of plug tobaccos.

Irish Oak is a grower. It seems OK, then blah-blah, then all of the nuances emerge. IT'S THE NUANCES, MAN!

Can't wait to try the Irish Flake. It sounds like death with steely eyes, but flavorful. Rock on.

tarheel7734":woc3js1f said:
Irish oak was my first real tobacco I  tried way back in 99. I have not tried any of the Peterson blends since. I have forgoten how it was but had fond memories of the tobacco. I am thinking of trying a few of their non aromatic blends including Irish Oak, Old Dublin,  Balkan Delight, and Sherlock Holmes. I would love to hear your experiences with any of these. I tend to veer towards English blends and va/per blends right now.
I've smoked several of Peterson's blends including the ones you mention. I can't think of any blend offerd by Peterson that I'd try again. I didn't like any of them but Sherlock Holmes was the better of all the blends to me. :)

AJ

Irish Flake is probably my favorite of the bunch but the balance is way off. It's like they went for power for powers sake... Nits like smoking a 65 ring double ligero.

I prefer strong but the flavored need to be balanced.. I hate to sound like a salesmen for them but Gawith Hoggarth & Co Dark Flake scented it otherwise is a far superior specimen of that genre at a very comparable price.

I like University flake for about half a tin, then that topping gets tiresome to me.

puros_bran":6w1m73zr said:
Irish Flake is probably my favorite of the bunch but the balance is way off.  It's like they went for power for powers sake...  Nits like smoking a 65 ring double ligero.

I prefer strong but the flavored need to be balanced.. I hate to sound like a salesmen for them but Gawith Hoggarth & Co Dark Flake scented it otherwise is a far superior specimen of that genre at a very comparable price.

I like University flake for about half a tin, then that topping gets tiresome to me.

Yes, to the above. Could have not said it better myself.

I used to like Old Dublin back when I was into Lat blends. Also remember having Irish Whisky and liking it, but that was many moons ago. I do have a tin of Perfect Plug around somewhere that I need to ferret out and try.

Cheers,

RR

Not so sure I would go along with being offensive toward those who enjoy a stronger blend of tobacco, enjoying a strong nicotine level in your smoke doesn't make one a nit, not in my books that's for sure.

There are a heap of blends which have been made weak for the sake of being weak, what is so wrong with making a blend strong for the sake of being strong, personally if I don't get a good wallop from Lady-N that tobacco gets a fail in my books.

Not that I go out of my way to score me a good nicotine fix, personally I just don't get along with weak blends, from my own perspective I don't see the point to them but that is just my own personal take on it.

A lot of folk really enjoy weak tobacco blends and I most certainly wouldn't look down on them just because they can't handle a strong tobacco, different strokes for different folks, I see no need to be calling folk names just because of they personal preferences in tobacco strength.

I know you said you were wanting to stay away from their aros, but I've have to say that I've really quite enjoyed P's Connoisseur's Choice.

I was over in West Wales last weekend with my family and friends. As he is a ciggy smoker I suggested he tried the briar and last year graced him with one to get him started. This was a big deal for me; I was about to have a smoking partner. Anyway, back to last weekend and as usual I provided the baccy and in this case I slid a nearly finished tin of Connoisseur's Choice across the table. Up till that point I'd not been on the receiving end, but the moment I smelt the room note I decided right there that I would be replacing that tin real soon. The smoke itself is very satisfying too. Flavoursome but not overly sweet.

I don't think anyone is calling anyone names here Kirk mate. If you're referring to peebees post with the "Nits'", I feel he just mistakenly hit the "N" button on the word "it's". If you read his posts he frequently gets an extra letter in occasionally, but so do lots of folks around here. Not to knock on him, but many of us don't proof our posts, nor do they go back and edit them after. I'm quite sure no offense was intended.

And then there's the issue of words that can be misinterpreted from country to country, region to region, etc. You get the idea.

And you'll already be well familiar with my issue with nic. Some folks can handle it better than I. Me, not so much. And I've made that quite plain here on BoB. Equally, I don't disparage anyone that can.

OK, I'll shove a sock in it now.............

:| 

Cheers,

RR

Irish Oak is my go to, everyday tobacco.

I also smoke Old Dublin, Nutty Cut, Irish Whiskey (only when I can't find IO), Irish Flake

I've tried all the other blends but the above are my favourites.

Brewdude":5x107rb9 said:
I don't think anyone is calling anyone names here Kirk mate. If you're referring to peebees post with the "Nits'", I feel he just mistakenly hit the "N" button on the word "it's". If you read his posts he frequently gets an extra letter in occasionally, but so do lots of folks around here. Not to knock on him, but many of us don't proof our posts, nor do they go back and edit them after. I'm quite sure no offense was intended.

And then there's the issue of words that can be misinterpreted from country to country, region to region, etc. You get the idea.

And you'll already be well familiar with my issue with nic. Some folks can handle it better than I. Me, not so much. And I've made that quite plain here on BoB. Equally, I don't disparage anyone that can.

OK, I'll shove a sock in it now.............

:| 

Cheers,

RR

Point taken there Rande, my stance is not in just that scenario regarding the term nits being used, just the whole area of some folk looking oddly at others just because of their preferences, the whole business gets on my nerves. One so often sees Aro' lovers getting pounded or OTC lovers getting ribbed or those with low tolerance getting needled, it just really gets my goat up folk not being able to just let others be to enjoy what they enjoy.

No doubt I took that personally, I do rather prefer a much stronger Lady-N wallop and have had folk rib me for it in the past in my own private life, I just see no need for it is all, fair enough, I could have been jumping the gun there and should that be the case I do apologise.