thinking of trying Peterson blends again.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest, I've always been disappointed by Peterson's tobaccos. I have two Pete pipes, both of which I like very much, but the tobacco doesn't really do it for me.

In my aromatic days (smoking aromatics, that is, not long periods of poor personal hygiene) I though they burned too hot and the toppings seemed cloying and artificial. The latakia blends left a lot to be desired, considering the other options, and the Va/Burley stuff was either too bland or too strong for the sake of being too strong (as PB said).

That said, I've not had 3P, which seems to be well-liked by many. I plan to get a hold of a tin one of these days...despite my experience, I have high hopes for it.

idbowman":7ke69zoe said:
That said, I've not had 3P, which seems to be well-liked by many. I plan to get a hold of a tin one of these days...despite my experience, I have high hopes for it.
You wont be disappointed with the 3P's, marvellous smoke is that. :)

I found in my hoard a bunch of tins from 2000 to about 2005, including several of Old Dub. They were still moist. Just heavenly on a cool summer eve in a Pete 999 that's been dedicated to English blends. I was worried they'd be all desiccated and long past their prime, but the tobak is high quality and couldn't be better.

When Peterson first brought out their branded blends back in the 90's sometime, I tried three or four different ones but found them much to "flavored" for my 759 focused palate at the time. I've gone back and taken a look at them again but can find no just straight Va blend/mixtures offered an if my memory serves me correctly, they were very much Burley based blends as well and I don't do well with to much of this leaf in my baccy !! :twisted: :twisted:

I have a 1 year tin of 3Ps kicking around and decided to crack it open have tried several bowls. I didn't find it difficult to slice and prep. I didn't find it very aromatic, very natural, and very high quality. I would say if you prefer the sweet va end of the burley/va spectrum, it's the way to go, and if you like the earthy burley end of the spectrum, Irish flake is the way to go. For me definitely Irish flake. Surprisingly, I found the nic hit about the same for both.

tarheel7734":4eyjk9cg said:
Irish oak was my first real tobacco I  tried way back in 99. I have not tried any of the Peterson blends since. I have forgoten how it was but had fond memories of the tobacco. I am thinking of trying a few of their non aromatic blends including Irish Oak, Old Dublin,  Balkan Delight, and Sherlock Holmes. I would love to hear your experiences with any of these. I tend to veer towards English blends and va/per blends right now.
Any update here? Did you get a chance to retry any of those?