This is an unacceptable attack.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christeaux

Reaction score
Pamela McColl, a Canadian publisher, has attacked one of the oldest and most endearing smoking traditions. In the latest edition of A Visit From St. Nicholas she has removed any reference to Santa Claus smoking, to include the cover illustration. It is a terrible day in the world when it becomes acceptable for someone to censor a classic piece of art. Nothing is safe anymore. But in following with that tradition we should put a banana hammock on the statue of David. The influence of the nanny state strikes again.

I find this alteration of a classic figure unenlightened at best. The tampering of a cultural and historical figure to appease one's sense of political correctness is disgusting.

While I am not a combative pro-smoker (I accept smoke free establishments and zones, but I don't smoke so often anyways. Hey, put that tomato down!) I find alot of the anti-smoking community's action rediculous. Pipe smoking holds a wonderful place in history. Santa Claus and Sherlock Holmes and many other cultural figures smoked pipes and are just not complete without them.

On that note, I think I will pack my Big Ben Presidential with a bowl of Frog Morton...

God help us! Is nothing sacred? No Christian, American Hero or cherished tradition left untouched by the left. Funny, I was enjoying a bowl of last years MCL Christmas Cheer when I opened BOB tonight. I am loving it all the more now.

Reminds me of the '80s when they took the line: "We'll have a gay old time" out of the theme song from The Flintstones. :p

Come to think of it, I just remembered another near-censorship of a classic. When Peter Jackson began filming the Lord of the Rings trilogy, they were seriously considering making it smoke-free. There were actually several early scenes filmed with alternate versions where Gandalf was chewing toffee rather than smoking his pipe, having recently quit.

My Dad smoked a pipe once a year and it was on Christmas morning early before us kids got up, he wanted us to know that Santa had been there and we could smell the lingering pipe smoke. Of course I really thought it had been Santa, because I knew my parents didn't smoke. I still wonder what tobacco Dad smoked in that pipe, because it smelled wonderful! Dad was a cool guy! :D

This post might self destruct in a couple of weeks... don't want some tyke searching "Santa" & "pipe" in Google and stumbling across this post thereby ruining Christmas for them.

Simple Man":gw2goo7r said:
My Dad smoked a pipe once a year and it was on Christmas morning early before us kids got up, he wanted us to know that Santa had been there and we could smell the lingering pipe smoke. Of course I really thought it had been Santa, because I knew my parents didn't smoke. I still wonder what tobacco Dad smoked in that pipe, because it smelled wonderful! Dad was a cool guy! :D

This post might self destruct in a couple of weeks... don't want some tyke searching "Santa" & "pipe" in Google and stumbling across this post thereby ruining Christmas for them.
Simple Man, That. Was. Awesome! :cheers:
Love that story! :santa:

I want to file a class action law suite against the State of Michigan for discriminating against pipe smokers in cigar shops... You can buy pipe tobacco there, but you can't smoke it... THAT MAKES ALL SORTS OF SENSE!!!!! Stupid bureaucrats.... It prolly wont do anything but get me a nice big Audit from the IRS.... I dont care about smoking at a restaurant or at a pub, but seriously you should be able to smoke a pipe at a smoke shop that sells pipe tobacco..... IT IS NOTHING BUT DISCRIMINATION!!!! sorry had to get that out of me.

P.S. SANTA and FROSTY smoke pipes!!!!!!! in my family the tooth fairy did too!!

Prohibition tobacco style. Before you know it, we're going to be watching classic westerns with Clint Eastwood sucking on a lollipop, and John Wayne blowing bubbles. I'm not even sure if they make bubble pipes anymore... I agree with the first picture... "DON'T TREAD ON ME!"
Zach

Eh. Santa is a marketing tool, made more famous by coca cola. He hasnt smoked a pipe in years.

That's about like Disney removing the cigar scene from Pinocchio and virtually every other smoking scene in their digital recreations of old classic cartoons. Walt smoked and it was incorporated into the cartoons, heck Disney had a tobacco shop in the parks. Society sucks.

gravel":9sl5zt32 said:
Eh. Santa is a marketing tool, made more famous by coca cola. He hasnt smoked a pipe in years.
Well he has all of my life, I never really drank coke and soft drinks, I never really cared for the marketing of St. Nick, and when I was growing up many of the decorations in my home and my grandparents home, where we spent Christmas, displayed a smoking Santa. My favorite ones were a cypress knee painted as a Cajun St. Nicholas with a long clay pipe, and a Santa sitting on a chair in his pants with a red shirt and suspenders, and when you plugged it in his arm would bring a pipe to his mouth and then back down.

Brewdude":qboj6oaw said:
And yet just another of the rabid ultra left's nanny state's agenda!

:x

And no I don't want this removed to the Rubber Room

Cheers,

RR
The interesting thing about the "Anti-Tobacco" folks is who has been funding a large part of their activities are two brothers whose name begins with K :p Last I heard they would not be considered "ultra left" :p
We as smokers. need to realize that the "anti" folks mean business and are using many more ways to GET RID OF ALL TOBACCO in the US. They are now trying to do it thru the local ordinance level and are getting pretty good at it. No big Federal or State legislation, just what all the folks want, LOCAL govt. in their communities makeing the rules :p How can one be against this? :evil: :twisted: Ya need to get involvced in your local stuff or you will wake up one day to it all changed! And NEVER say "it can't happen here" It does and is :p

As long as there's a thread of concern, truth or boredom in someone's life (and they have access to influence), they're sure to stoke the fire and make sure they can cash in and inflate ego with it. Control of public choice is profitable business; obstruction is a huge industry. Making money only by producing a single word to tell people: "No." They'd like nothing more than to jam everyone into a large metropolis, move them along like fattened pigs that obey forced choices.

So long as there's ideals, there's gonna be simply this. Fight or obey. The end.

8)

I guess Frosty the Snowman's corn cob pipe will be next...sad. Positively deplorable.

Can a publisher just arbitrarily just remove some of the content of someone else's copyrighted work? The artwork I can see, but altering the words??? I'd love to see her get sued over this. :twisted: