Thompson Cigars?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoking_Face

Reaction score
I have read a lot of complaints about Thompson Cigars and I can't figure out why they get a bad rap.

I was given a mild and cheap 50 pack sampler. I have found a couple of bad ones but over all of the cigars have been good and they are all hand rolled.
the ones that I have enjoyed so far are the:
Don Elias
PDR-VLR
Cosechero
Don Lugo
TC Green Label
Hacienda Rio
and I had one that was really spicy/peppery but I can't remember the name.

I have also purchased a 5 pack sampler of Blendlab from Cigar International so that I can try a $5.00 cigar and so far i'm not all that impressed. I had one that was to tight to smoke, gave one to Father-in-Law, one burned really fast, One was good and the other is still in the humidor.

I guess that I need to try some more but with limited money I hate to waste it on cigars that aren't any better.

So I guess my Question is, what should I expect from a more expensive cigar?

I'm no expert myself, as I JUST got into cigars really heavily in the past few months. But in my experience so far, more expensive cigars generally have more complex flavors, better quality tobacco all around, and they usually have nice oils on the surface.

Your best bet would be to get two cigars of similar constructions (i.e. wrapper, binder, filler the same) of a cheap and a high price and inspect it yourself. That's what I did, along with extensive educated reading.

The problem I had buying from Thompson, is that they don't offer a lot of value for the money compared to other online retailers. For the money spent with Thompson, you would be better off buying from a brick and mortar and getting a higher quality stick for the same money. Thompson has a lot of cigars made for them, and these are cigar brands you will never see in a brick and mortar tobacconist. They buy .75 cigars and mark them up three to four times that amount.

Really good quality cigars can be had in the $3 to $8 range. I find that spending more than that is usually just a waste of money. Two of my favorite brands that offer outstanding value for the money, are Padron and Perdomo.

This being only your second post on a pipe related forum smells really strongly of spam. Giving you the benefit of the doubt I'll add: avoid Thompson, if for no other reason than there are many far better retailers more deserving of your business.

ETA: Now to actually address your question, better cigars will have more complex flavor profiles. They will burn better - slower, more consistently - than cheaper cigars with short or medium filler. Better cigars will also be more consistent from cigar to cigar. Typically, though not always, better cigars will also be aged longer. A really cheaply made and young cigar will give off a harsh ammonia smell that you won't come across with better cigars. Though, I have smoked brand new Bolivar Petit Coronas that were spot on. There are certainly fantastic smokes available cheaply and there are $30 dog rockets, but more often than not you get what you pay for. Though, the law of diminishing return certainly comes into play. The aforementioned Boli costs about $5/per smoke and is one of my absolute favorites. The Cohiba Behike 54 is a beautiful cigar, but your just silly to pay $60 for one, IMHO.

Thompson is a gang of greedy mf*ers, and if they had the last cigars on earth I would refuse to do business with them.

My take is that a $6 cigar that delivers and a $3 cigar of the same ilk is a 100% increase in quality, both of the tobacco and construction. Between a $9 and a $6 cigar about 50%. Aged tobacco and superior blending come into play. I like to smoke @ ~$9. But to do this I need to smoke less and smoke better; that's no more than 2 cigars a week.

Above this, @ ~12 per, you find the limited editions and the top of the line; I've smoked both Don Carlos, E.P. Carillo and My Father, of which we were well worth it. Beyond this @ ~$20 are Padron Anniversaries, which to me are truly awesome cigars.

Right now I'm eyeing the Cuban Partagas Lusitanias. Supposed to be one of the best cigars in the world, a long Churchill @ 7.6 X 49- ~$12.

The pleasures of the pipe are a lot more affordable, so long as you go don't go nuts on pipes. Tinned tobacco is roughly twice the price of bulk, and if you choose wisely, just as good. Good affordable estates are available between $50-$75.

Another thing about Thompson. They'll spam you into the ground even if you tell them to stop. Once they've got your address there is no telling how many trees must die to manufacture the propaganda they'll send to you.

Tate":hyncmoqq said:
Another thing about Thompson.  They'll spam you into the ground even if you tell them to stop.  Once they've got your address there is no telling how many trees must die to manufacture the propaganda they'll send to you.
People in witness protection still get their Thompson's catalog. :twisted: 

Hermit":ezyk5kjs said:
People in witness protection still get their Thompson's catalog.  :twisted: 
Now thats funny. :lol!: 

Thompson is NO-GOOD in my opinion. I got the biggest sampler from them about 2 years back, and tried as many as I could before almost giving up on cigars completely. Than I met a pretty lady named Perdomo, and all hope was restored! Thompson brand Cigars just aren't my cup of tobacco... They don't float my humidor... They don't tickle my cigar cutter ... They don't put wind in my ashtray... sorry...
Zach

Thompson blows!:evil: 
Their "house branded" stogies are nowhere near as good as the JR Cigars & Famous Smoke Shop "Alternatives" or CI's "Knockoffs" & Legend Series.

I have had great dealings with Famous and their auctions on "Cigar Auctioneer". I have nailed deals like a box of CAO "Italia Piazzas" for $35!!!:shock:  and a box of Nub "Cameroon" for $25!!!!!:shock: :shock: :shock: