Thought I would share another knife....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonecoyote

Reaction score
I made for myself a while back. The blade was made from a 440C steel billet and holds an edge well because of the carbon content. The bolsters were all hand cut from brass, filed and I used 220 grit to give a satin like finish. The handle scales are also hand cut and sanded, they are Wooly Mommoth Tusks thousands of years old. Quite expensive and no room for error, basically that's why I decided to use my hands rather then a belt sander. This is the fixed blade knife I carry when not carrying one of my folders. Been carrying a knife since I was 12 years old....everywhere.

The sheath is a basic one, but take notice of the stones. They are polished African Cats Eye and epoxied in such a way that I can sharpen the knife when needed. Not only looks good ( different )  but functional.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
xdKx85Z.jpg" style="width: 500px;height: 400px

Yup, Mammoth tusk scales are available as well as many different animal bones like giraffe, buffalo and more. Most are a bit pricey.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Now that's a real beauty there. You consider doing scrimshaw work on that big blank canvas? Say a mammoth being hunted. Of coarse I would not suggest you do said scrimshaw straight to the knife but do some practice runs on bone or other antler scraps. You may find a new hobby. I know I get lost in time when I scrimshaw.

Jim

Thanks huffelpuff, that blank canvas was a bit pricey and in hand there are various colors to be seen. However in the past I've done some scrimshaw designs on bone handles. If you held this knife in your hand you would agree, leave it natural.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Nice one, like the handle specially. ;)

It's a beautiful piece anyway you slice it. The color changes as it ages are always amazing. I'm sure the picture doesn't do that handle justice. I've always had a soft spot for bone, ivory, or antler handles.

Jim

Cripes, I heard of some materials being used for knives, but mammoth tusk, now that tops them all. Fair play LC, that's a tidy looking knife.

STICK
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT, it's well appreciated.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Rande, thanks, means allot from you because your not a knife guy.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

That knife is so right , it's a beaut. My son makes a few knifes and made me a damascus plug cutter with Giraffe bone handles, fine knife but pales by yours. I'm a Cajun 74 yrs old and would feel undressed if I go anywhere without my knife.

Nice knife! That is cool about the mammoth tusk sides. When I was working in the knife store we sold some of a local guys custom knives. Barefoot Knives. Anyways, he made a filet knife from a GAU-8 Avenger cannon and the handle was out of mammoth molar fossil. CRAZY! Needless to say, that one costs a pretty penny.

thank you Cajun and Kate for your compliments. They're well appreciated.

Cajun
Your son made you a stunning knife. Glad too also hear I'm not the only person that feels naked without carrying a knife. Use yours in good health. Perfect blade for Plug cutting and much more!! Damascus steel uses usually 1095/15n20 metals, which can really hold a razor sharp edge. Really like your knife!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!