Thoughts on Cornell & Diehl Red Virginia Ribbon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
I've continued my exploration of uncased Virginia tobacco and thought a review of C&D Red Virginia Ribbon might be of interest.  I confirmed with C&D that they only use distilled water in processing their non-aromatics, so if anyone wants to debate that point please talk to them.
I've smoked through 4 oz of this over the past month or so. While this is basically a blending tobacco, it is a quality Virgina that makes a good all day smoke and would be a great base tobacco for home blending.  It also is a bargain.  I just took advantage of smokingpipes' 20% off sale and picked up a pound for about $17.
From the C&D webpage "High grade Old Belt Red Virginia cut in the easy-burning ribbon style. This naturally sweet leaf not only packs a fine bowl straight from the bag, but also boasts excellent aging potential."
The tobacco arrived a bit too dry for my liking.  This seems common with blending tobbaco, and makes for a better value since you are not paying for water.   It re-humidifed easily with a wet paper towel overnight.  The tobacco is in red ribbons that are easy to pack a give no trouble lighting.
The jar note is an even mix of hay and prunes.  If you really get your nose into it, a bit of acetic acid is faint but present.
The tobacco smokes sweet and is a bit tangy.  The tangy sharpness takes a tiny bit away from the deep mellow carmel sweetness.  Earthy spice and lacquer on the retrohale. Very pleasant although monochromatic as expected from a single leaf.  This should really shine with some added perique. I recommend trying this tobacco if you are looking for a quality straight Virginia at a great price.
Mike.