Thoughts on going from seed to smoke.....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rx2man

Reaction score
With the FDA screwing with stuff have many of my BOTL's considered growing your own and processing it to the end result?  Perique, Black Cavendish, etc.  I then later bought raw tobacco from leaf only.  The C&G stuff is still sitting untouched.  The raw tobacco I did make into a few flakes.  A straight VA, a VaPer, and a VaPer with rum and sugar.  I was not too impressed initially but as they have sat aging they are tasting the same as the commercial stuff.  So in the end I am liking it.  This got me to buying seeds.  I did not have the funds to buy a "green house" so it will have to wait til spring.  The sun is so strong in AZ they must have shade or the plant will get a sun burn so I need the green house so I have something to attach the shade material to.  And will also keep the bugs out (I hope).  I am hoping that picking the baccy at optimal ripeness will result in a better smoke.  You either pick leaves off individually or wait until half the plant it ride and cut it at the base for curing.  I figure if I pick each leaf at optimal ripeness I may have a better end result..........so back to the original question.  Is anyone putting some serious thought into this?  

Flavoring is another subject but briefly from what I have found flavorings are used more than the actual substance.  By this I mean I dont think rum is what is used vs a rum flavoring.  Now you still need an alcohol carrier so rum could be used and in a rum flavored baccy that is what I will use but I think it need the flavoring to.  

My rum baccy turned out OK, it has a boozy taste, but maybe not as much rum flavor.  I used Pussar's British Navy Rum (GOOD STUFF)......my assumption as to what would have been used back in the day.  

I am not interested in making aros other than "Navy" baccys so at least I dont have to do a lot of experimenting.  But so far it has not been as difficult as I thought it would be.  Growing may be a total PITA and will figure that out come spring........thoughts??

And a final thought......I have black Cavendish and I think that is the missing component (and rum flavoring) in my rum navy flake........

I have read some of Ozark Wizards posts. He will be bothered at some point lol

Brewdude":vu90w3vo said:
Paging Ozark Wizard, our resident grower/processor/blender/guru/etc etc.........

Cheers,

RR
Some one ring?

I'm sure I could help in some way. Gather together some seeds first, and get your plot located for your garden. Plan for plenty of room. Do you have a source for seeds?

I know where I want to plant. I have 9 varieties of seeds already. I am sure you will be of help. I have read a lot but there are still a lot of questions. But I will get to that come spring when I can plant.

I shall await the spring and read with interest also

I planted some tobacco this year, but sods law we went on a 3 week holiday and the whole crop died off due to unusually high temps cooked them to a crisp while we were gone.

ill try again this spring and see what varieties I can get growing well.

restricted to tubs and containers currently though... private landlords to keep happy.

@ kitobi, being that you are in the UK I would assume you have cloudy weather but if they are not in the shade they could have issues. I know I killed all the little burleys I was given leaving them in the hot Phoenix, AZ sun for 20 or so min. There are others on here though that know a lot more than I. Since I did not get very far lol.......

lol Rx yup mostly from October til next april we wont see the sun much, but during the summer the UK does see it quite a bit, and daytime temps around 25-32c on good days are common

especially as I'm south facing so my garden is a complete sun trap as its never in shade

oh well lets look forward to next year and hope for better luck

If you're serious about raising tobacco from seed , to harvest, curing, processing, and blending then the person I'd recommend is the Ozark Wizard. He has had successful crops which  he then processed and blended into some if the finest tobacco I've ever had the privilege to smoke. Calliope's Choice, Lonesome Llama, and Pebble Castle are three outstanding blends. Pebble Castle is equal to or better than any blend in that genre. IMHO! The man knows what he's doing and his finished product testifies to his expertise. We don't call him a Wizard because of his clothes. :cheers:

AJ

I will be emailing OW with questions soon enough. Its nice to have someone to bother. I read a lot but there are always questions that come up....

I'm actually planning on putting out Turkish tobacco plants this spring. I've done a fair bit of research and given my extremely short growing season it's really the only option I have. I look forward to seeing how you do.

Jim