Thoughts on pipe smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIPIPE

Reaction score
I came across this bio on Tobacco Reviews and thought I'd share it. I'm sure it relates to something we've all given some thought to.

Alias: Scot
No picture available

Name: Scott

Bio:
The job that pays my bills is working for a mechanical contractor but I dabble in photography and graphic design on the side.

I started smoking a pipe in 1990 and have been around the world of pipes and tobaccos searching for that holy grail and the "rare smoke".

Turns out that the state of mind has more to do with it than anything.

Favorite tobaccos are fragrent and powerful Virginias like Peterson Flake, Presbyterian and Plumcake. Vapers like Sunday Picnic and naturally sweet English/Orientals like EMP and HH Syrian.

Pipe Collection Size: 35
Collection Notes:
After owning a Dunhill Shilling an Ashton and some expensive Savinelli's I realized that the cost of the pipe has nothing to do with the experience.

For the price of selling them I have aquired a reather eclectic collection of Petersons, Savinelli Dry and Viking Classics for the daily rotation pipes. I do however find myself rather attached to a half bent Thomas Christiano, a rare Peterson #501 in the Donegal Rocky line and a pair of 1950"s era Comoy's in a Regent and a Golden grain series in the 296 shape. All four provide rare smokes on a fairly regular basis.

My favorite shapes are Lovat's and 1/4 to 1/2 half bent Apples and Rhodesians in a clear or virgin finish but have a few rusticated ones as well. Today's favorite is a Sterling banded Peterson #53 P lip in Donegal Rocky filled with English Oriental from Altadis... of all things.

Dang! I wish someone had told me it was about the state of mind!

All along I have been thinking we were having a contest on most bowls per hour.

:lol!:

Yeah, I was trying to bridge the gap by having back-to-back bowls and only one light... now THAT'S a challenge. :lol: All that fine, white ash really gets in the way. 8)

1.) Pipes are a perfect "guy thing," like golf, fly rods, shotguns ... There's a certain amount of knowldedge and skill required that serves as a barrier to entry. The barrier tends to keep out the wholly inept and make those who get past it feel empowered. Once in, pipers find lots of reasons to stay in. Not the least of which is the opportunity for good-natured, endless and unresolvable arguments about various aspects of pipes and tobacco. It's what guys do.

2.) FWIW -- My own interest seems to have been fueled by a weird psychological quirk that was made explicit in an aptitude test. The shrink interpreting my data said there was a sliver of the populace that tends to get keenly engrossed in whatever they're working on. We're the opposite of "Stop and Smell the Roses" types. "That might be so," I opined. "I've thought that the perfect vacation for me would be a switch on my noggin, so I could just turn it off for a week." "Uh-huh," he said. "What hobbies do you enjoy?" "Ooh, I dunno, fly fishing, fly tying, golf, my pipes ..." "Exactly," he said, "you look for relaxation and solitude."

So I never started on a search for a holy grail. If it turns out a volume of tasty smoke and doesn't require a lot of maintenance, it's fine by me. I have a cellar full of fulll Mason jars for variety. And my briars are a handsome and visually satisfying lot. Click goes my switch, and I'm gone.

Thank god the indians introduced this stuff to Sir Walter, is all I can say.

took the words right out of my mouth.this morning i got up to find i was out of tobacoo and my normal tobacoo shop just for him wont open for another 2 hours.well you know how much better that morning cup of joe tastes with your pipe so i did the unthinkable i went to the local cigerett shop and got a pouch of shelf tobacoo thinking this will hold me for a bit.well when i loaded my bowl with the kentuckey blend and lit it i found i will never be without my blend again.but i couldnt bring my self to throw it away.