Thoughts on Tsuge pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
Just wondering if any here have ever checked out Tsuge pipes, in particular the Roulette, Tankard or Blowfish (Smoking Pipes has them)?
An interesting aesthetic and definitely a departure from traditional shapes.
Lately I've been thinking they're kinda cool...especially the Roulette and Tankard.
Anyone out there own any and can weigh in on them?
If not...anyone have opinions on them?

I have two Tsuge pipes, one is listed as an apple Cherrywood sitter Tokyo grade with bamboo shank and the other is the earliest Tsuge Tankard with aluminum trim, both smoke great. The Tankard looks as good today as when I first got it and has over 3000 smokes under its belt.
banjo

I picked up a Tsuge Blowfish when I was in Tokyo a few years back and really dig it. It's beautifully made, super light, easy to clean, unique, and the metal doesn't get hot at all. Only thing is it's tough to avoid charring the rim a little given the design, but that's only a potential issue with this particular model.

Also worth mentioning is that it's far and away the smallest pipe I own. As in, a Czech tool tamp is too wide to use in the bowl--petite! I knew exactly what I was getting since I was in a B&M and I know their other models aren't so tiny, but yeah, my only advice would be to make sure you double check the dimensions before pulling the trigger.

I have two Tsuges -- an attractive little Kaga bent and a handsome two-knuckle bamboo shank blast -- so neither is exactly down your alley. But in the "corporate skills" like drilling, materials, value and quality of construction, they're mighty fine. You've heard pipers say, "Why would I pay $500.00 when I can get this for $XX.00?" I'll bet a lot of Tsuge owners have said that. My bamboo Tsuge delivered a very good smoke from the start. The Kaga is unsmoked at this point.