Threshold...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dramatwist

Reaction score
Brethren,

Have any among you had the feeling on the verge of loading the first bowl of a new pipe...

"This is a big step. Do I really want to do this now, or do I want to save it for some occasion that will make a better memory"?

Best,

Unless it is a pricy, exquisite pipe, and that is never the case for me just now, I fire up a new or new-to-me pipe hoping that the tobacco still tastes like I think it should. As I dedicate pipes I don't usually have to overcome a ghost. So taste and overcoming the ghost to get the tobacco true are quite usually my thoughts.

alfredo_buscatti":01zf0858 said:
Unless it is a pricey, exquisite pipe, and that is never the case for me just now, I fire up a new or new-to-me pipe hoping that the tobacco still tastes like I think it should. As I dedicate pipes I don't usually have to overcome a ghost. So taste and overcoming the ghost to get the tobacco true are quite usually my thoughts.
So true.

All I can do is use my experience to select a pipe and *hope* it will deliver what I expect.

Except for the few commissions, now I buy restored estates from reputable vendors. I try to pick judiciously. So far, I've fortunately been rather lucky in my selections.

So far, zero ghosts, thank goodness!

Every time I load a new pipe but, it's more like; should I do this, do I dare, will I scorch the bowl rim, can I afford that, do I need another pipe to clean?  :D 

Cartaphilus":u288d8pk said:
Every time I load a new pipe but, it's more like; should I do this, do I dare, will I scorch the bowl rim, can I afford that, do I need another pipe to clean?  :D 
Everytime I get a new pipe (well, new to me), I end up letting it lay there and admire it.

Hell, I have an Astley and a Savinelli, both NOS and older than dirt, that I haven't had the heart to smoke as yet.

I just admire them  :silent: 

So I hear you, brother. I hear you well.

rothnh":lyrme317 said:
Cartaphilus":lyrme317 said:
Everytime I get a new pipe (well, new to me), I end up letting it lay there and admire it.

Hell, I have an Astley and a Savinelli, both NOS and older than dirt, that I haven't had the heart to smoke as yet.

I just admire them  :silent: 

So I hear you, brother.  I hear you well.
If I were to put every pipe I HAVEN'T smoked yet in a pocket, I wouldn't have enough pockets.
Maybe someday...........but, probably not......maybe........

'Fraid I'm not one that attaches much "romance" to pipe smoking. I LIKE tobacco and a pipe is how I like to consume it so when I bought a new one ( only 6 in the last decade though) it was more a question of HOW I was going to smoke it, while sitting, reading a book, watching the tube or a video/DVD or while visiting some other pipe smoking friends ? Filling one up to the rim ( I'm a full bowl break-in practitioner) and putting that first match to it was NEVER an issue and still isn't !! If I wasn't going to smoke it, I would not have bought it ! :twisted:   :twisted:

monbla256":8irxf2kn said:
'Fraid I'm not one that attaches much "romance" to pipe smoking. I LIKE tobacco and a pipe is how I like to consume it so when I bought a new one ( only 6 in the last decade though) it was more a question of HOW I was going to smoke it, while sitting, reading a book, watching the tube or a video/DVD or while visiting some other pipe smoking friends ? Filling one up to the rim ( I'm a full bowl break-in practitioner) and putting that first match to it was NEVER an issue and still isn't !!  :twisted:   :twisted: 
This has always been my approach as well. Never had any problems with it.

Cheers

RR

monbla256":nx9021v1 said:
'Fraid I'm not one that attaches much "romance" to pipe smoking. I LIKE tobacco and a pipe is how I like to consume it so when I bought a new one ( only 6 in the last decade though) it was more a question of HOW I was going to smoke it, while sitting, reading a book, watching the tube or a video/DVD or while visiting some other pipe smoking friends ? Filling one up to the rim ( I'm a full bowl break-in practitioner) and putting that first match to it was NEVER an issue and still isn't !!  :twisted:   :twisted: 
That's the beauty of this hobby. And how we (or at least I do) admire my brothers and sisters in how they approach our hobby.

How you do it, how I do it, how that other guy does it -- doesn't much matter.

As we share our experiences, we learn and, to me, makes this hobby that much more enjoyable.

I'm not a collector and only buy pipes to smoke. I  don't worry about rim darkening or whatever. I buy pipes to smoke and enjoy.    The longest I could keep myself from putting fire to a pipe was 3 weeks.

To me the tobacco was grown with the intent of it being consumed and the pipe was made to consume that tobacco in, I pack it, torch it and smoke it, I'm a simple soul.

Briar Spirit":q4k8va03 said:
To me the tobacco was grown with the intent of it being consumed and the pipe was made to consume that tobacco in, I pack it, torch it and smoke it, I'm a simple soul.
+1

Well said and straight to the point.   8)

Oh - and Monbla: I also practice the whole-bowl breakin procedure these days. I quit the 1/4 to 1/2 bowl method a while back. Might as well just smoke the darn thing and enjoy it.

Briar Spirit":lrp43rv4 said:
To me the tobacco was grown with the intent of it being consumed
and the pipe was made to consume that tobacco in, I pack it, torch
it and smoke it
Exactly so ... it's really no different than using a drinking glass to consume a beverage ...

I'd probably have some sort of sentimental reservations if the pipe itself was to be consumed in order to smoke it, but under the circumstances, there's no cause for any hesitancy ... as Briar Spirit so eloquently said, "pack it, torch it and smoke it" ...

Something which has not been defined in his whole thread - the definition of a NEW pipe. If it is meant a new, never smoked pipe that has NEVER had tobacco in it or a "new to me" ESTATE pipe!!! :twisted:   :twisted:  As far as "breaking in" goes, an estate pipe though cleaned of all cake has had the thermodynamics of smoking performed on it and as such is ALREADY "broken in", kinda like when having sex with a virgin in ones youth and enjoying it with a divorced older woman  :twisted:   :twisted: 

Virgin bowls, such as they are in my experience, have often been the next best thing to a bladder infection...having me stand on my toes until the fire is tamed. Perhaps with the recent exception of a Mike Brissett bowl that Mike made for my Kirsten. The first bowl was as good as many well smoked briars I have and it only got better from there. Kinda' like wincing in prep for a smack upside the head and getting a big juicy kiss with lotso' promise of things to come instead. Even MM cobs have run the gamut.
Like that old line from the movies...'Smoke 'em if you got 'em...'

Sorry if that was not clear.
Mike Brissett's bowl for the Kirsten is waaaay better than expected for a constellation of reasons... I got educated, bowl was sent to me quickly at a very fair price, smokes as good as any many broken in briars I already have. Highly recommended, I have commissioned yet another.

Thanks Rye. I have not had a chance to smoke mine due to some other problems. Good info to have. It will be a while until I can light mine off.

:flower: 

Ryepipe":x8hfsbnw said:
Virgin bowls, such as they are in my experience, have often been the next best thing to a bladder infection...having me stand on my toes until the fire is tamed.
A magnificent description, Perfect!!!  :) 

AJ