Throat Hurts after smoking pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
Does anyone else have pain in the esophagus or throat after smoking? It's weird, but I can feel the pain after only a few puffs. The more often I smoke, the less it bothers me, but since I only have the time to smoke every-so-often, my throat will bother me.

Ideas?

Martin

Ha! :lol:

I figure the smoke is just aggravating my throat. It's just annoying because I smoke so rarely, that for it to be unpleasant just when I feel like I'm really living life... well you get the picture.

my upper gums and tongue feel like sandpaper after i smoke more than 3 or 4 pipes in one day, if i stop smoking for about a week it will go away, slowly... anyone know why?

Yeah I do. You maybe inhaling to much or a little to hard. If I have a pipe or a cigar that the draw on it is a little restricted. I do notice sometimes that my throat my hurt. But I have not had that happen in a while.

You know that makes sense. I think I tend to pack my pipe too hard, and have to drawn on it too hard. I bet that's it!

I'm still pretty much a novice at the whole pipe thing and only started educating myself a little last year. I bet my throat hurts from drawing in too hard.

I learned that you pack in three steps with the bottom of the pipe having loose tobacco and the top being more packed down. Any other suggestions?

I love my pipe and I can't wait to get more, of course their so darn expensive that I'll probably only be able to get one every once in a while.

Thanks for the answer. My throat actually feels sore as if I've been talking too much, so the entire thing makes sense.

:cheers:

Martin

Do not puff so hard that smoke is pulled into your throat. You should just be sipping on the pipe, rolling the smoke in your mouth and letting it waft out through your lips.

Thanks! I hadn't even thought about that. I've smoked several pipes since this post and simply packing the pipe better so that I don't have to draw hard on it has solved my problem! Thanks for all the great advice!

Martin

Also, I've found that when you have a sore throat from a cold it's good to let them pipes sit until you're feeling better. Having a pipeful with a mild flu can really aggravate the illness. :pale: Tar and smoke are not the best healers.

As for throat hurting from smoking I pretty much agree with what has been said already. Try to keep the pace down and do not inhale too deeply.

Drinking a soothing cup of tea with a pipeful will also ease the consequences in addition to being pleasant in itself. Camomille works best for softening the throat but a cup of quality Earl Grey tastes heavens! For Latakias, coffee works best, of course. When unable to make tea have a glass of warm water nearby and sip it every once in a while. Will also bring out new layers of taste in the tobacco.

Thanks. I've noticed that the better I pack my pipes using the Frank method and the slower I smoke them, the less my throat hurts. I've enjoyed several bowls lately and my throat has not hurt once, I guess I'll chock it up to lack of experience. :)

eon":i95t942r said:
Also, I've found that when you have a sore throat from a cold it's good to let them pipes sit until you're feeling better. Having a pipeful with a mild flu can really aggravate the illness. :pale: Tar and smoke are not the best healers.

As for throat hurting from smoking I pretty much agree with what has been said already. Try to keep the pace down and do not inhale too deeply.

Drinking a soothing cup of tea with a pipeful will also ease the consequences in addition to being pleasant in itself. Camomille works best for softening the throat but a cup of quality Earl Grey tastes heavens! For Latakias, coffee works best, of course. When unable to make tea have a glass of warm water nearby and sip it every once in a while. Will also bring out new layers of taste in the tobacco.
Good, sound advice! I second the Earl Grey, it's my favorite! :cheers:

I think your on the right track now. Pack light and sip. I pack my pipe by raking tobacco into the bowl with my index finger until the bowl is full, and then gently pressing on the tobacco. You want the tobacco to be springy. I like for there to be no resistance whilst drawing. Sipping the tobacco keeps the smoke in your mouth and not in your throat. Enjoy your day.

Yea I find it hard not to let it get back to my throat, I know I should avoid it. It does cause some irritation at times, and in general makes the act less healthy.

I find myself drawing in and then pushing the smoke out my nose, This is when I find it irritates my throat the most. and sometimes makes me sneeze later on after the smoke is over.

And its hard not to because it enhances the smoke flavor.

I am trying not to do this, if I can stop the drawing to the back of the throat and out the nose I am sure the pipe smoking experience will be more pleasant simply by being less irritating.

Just sip then push forward,

I was taught that after loading your pipe, before lighting, to try to puff and the resistance should be similar to the resistance experienced when sipping milk through a straw. If it doesn't resist this much, tamp it, if it exceeds this, empty the pipe and reload it. I find this to be true of most cuts of tobacco, but when smoking cube cut, I gravity fill the bowl, tap the bowl lightly and light. This tends to be a lighter pack than with broken flake, cavendish, or shag cuts, but I find a pipe packed to lightly can be fixed mid smoke by light tamping as necessary.

Best advice I can give is SIP IT.

I have the same problem with throat lump and actually the same situation. When I smoke rarely (a bowl a week) it irritates the worst. I have already consulted a pack of doctors, they claimed I'm fine. Similar problem appeared when I smoked light RYO tobaccos (e.g. Drum mild). Maybe I tried to inhale deeper to reach the "throat hit". But it may be hardly linked with pipe because I do not inhale. Could this throat lump be due to some tobacco toppings or components of blend?

p.s. sorry for some hectic phrases and/or incorrect namings, English is not a native one. In my country couldn't find any adequate info on this problem.

I never get pain …as stated gentile puffs, I always have a drink, coffee or tea with a pipe. After smoking I always use a mouth rinse and most times brush my teeth, I only smoke a bowl or two a day. If I get throat infection - URI I don’t look at pipe for at least two weeks.