Thuya Burl Plug Cutter Trio

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Thuya Burl?  Make that Stabilized Birdseye Thuya Burl!  A commissioned project.  Nice!

Shop Notes: Thuya...a conifer from the cedar family, and is exclusively native to Morocco. This highly praised conifer grows only in the forests of the Atlas mountains. Thuya trees reach maturity over many decades. Still the praised part of this tree is not the trunk, but the burl buried in the ground. The burl has a deeper color, a more concentrated aroma, and a fascinating grain. Today these burls are very scarce and hard to locate, extract, and transport. Burls are moved from mountainous areas on mules and donkeys as they are the only form of transportation suited to the task.

So...from the Atlas Mountains in Morocco...via donkey...into the stabilizing vats and onto the bench in my little shop...

A trio of plug cutters using some very nice Damascus blades that have been file worked and hand honed to beyond scary sharp - and of course the real show...the Birdseye Thuya Burl...rare, gorgeous, carefully laid out so each handle takes advantage of the available grain pattern.

First...my favorite:

caf2f747-9e91-4162-859a-ef9d678ef54c_zps7c09207d.jpg

And, the trio:

DSCN2305_zps424e7107.jpg

Dude those are beyond gorgeous! Wow!!! My fiancé is stoked as well. I can't wait to get these to the groomsmen! I'll try and post some pictures when they arrive, hopefully my computer will be back up by the end of the week

Love that Damascus.....save some for me, BH. 

Love the work/craftsmanship/style.

BDude - These are not really whittling blades, more a slicer...intended specifically as a plug cutter. For a whittling blade I'd suggest something with less belly, more spine...or perhaps a semi-Warncliff.

Note to steel freaks: Bark River just came out with an EDC knife named the Essential. The blade is CPM M4 tempered to about 64 Rc. with a convex grind. Some of 'em are under two bills, most are more. Helluva knife. Now that's a tough little cutter.

For anyone that's really interested, I can easily do another of these, with a blade of the same type and similar wood, or something 'completely different'.

Right now I'm working on a sweet piece using a 150mm Lammi blade from Finland made in the 1930's. All metal fittings are copper. The wood is a piece of Desert Ironwood Burl I've been saving...and I'm doing a hand carved horse head as the butt cap. It's gonna be a real sweetie!

Dave that's exactly what I need to slice my Dark Plug, [hint hint]. Send me a PM and tell me what it would cost to have you make one for me. Will my personal banker need to be present? :) 

AJ

Nice knives BH. Burl & Damascus patern are both eye candy.

Beautiful knives!

somedumbjerk":0myt0ud9 said:
Dude those are beyond gorgeous! Wow!!! My fiancé is stoked as well. I can't wait to get these to the groomsmen! I'll try and post some pictures when they arrive, hopefully my computer will be back up by the end of the week
Those are some great groomsman gifts!