Time Spent With Grant Batson

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted. As it turns out, when I own my own business, I work twice as hard and make half as much  :p . All part of the plan I guess.

In recent events, I took a trip to Nashville to spend some time with Grant Batson. He is a wonderful pipemaker who shapes first and drills second. This is a process I've wanted to see for a long time. Essentially, it gives one more flexibility in pipe making. I wasn't looking for a change in process, but more or less, just wanted to add the skill to my bag of tricks.

Words words words... how about some pics?

This is the first pipe I've ever made shape first, drill second. It's also my first use of horn, brass ring insert, and military mount. Oh, and it's my first acorn.

Take a look and see what you think. Grant made the black one, and I made the brownish red one.

photo-5-e1401045918533.jpg

photo-4-e1401045895403.jpg

photo-3-e1401045876883.jpg

photo-2-e1401045851936.jpg

Brian.

Awesome looking pipe Brian. I'm sure the further knowledge will just make your future pipes that much better.

Looking good, Brian! Certainly you did more than just one pipe though. Did you learn how Grant makes those pipes super fast?

Ocelot55":a5s2qono said:
Looking good, Brian! Certainly you did more than just one pipe though. Did you learn how Grant makes those pipes super fast?
Oddly enough, we didn't. This will sound counterintuitive, but my focus wasn't on making pipes. I found myself turning down pipe making in lieu of talking through tips, tricks and tools.

Hiram-2011":wph9e4l3 said:
Awesome looking pipe Brian.  I'm sure the further knowledge will just make your future pipes that much better.
Thanks. It should indeed. Some things were facepalm moments, others were just good reminders.

Tell Grant he better step up to the plate, I like yours much better.  ;) 

I've seen the processes and the carve first, drill second seems to have it's merits specially for shaping but, to have to use glue blocks I think could be a pain in the rear. Reckon it just depends what your use to and how much trouble you want to take on to do something........in my opinion.

Cartaphilus":82je0pp4 said:
Tell Grant he better step up to the plate, I like yours much better.  ;) 

I've seen the processes and the carve first, drill second seems to have it's merits specially for shaping but, to have to use glue blocks I think could be a pain in the rear. Reckon it just depends what your use to and how much trouble you want to take on to do something........in my opinion.
Well, I appreciate that. I think it's one of those opinion things. I could see people liking one and not the other fairly easily. I personally don't know which I like better between the two. I'll say this though, I'd happily smoke either one!

You know, I was thinking the same thing about gluing those little blocks and all, but when you have the right process it only seems to take seconds. There is definitely more room for error (in my very little experience) but I think like most things it takes finesse, and once you learn it, it won't be any harder than drilling first.

What a wonderful opportunity Brian, very pleased you had an enjoyable time with Grant, I must say that both pipes are absolutely gorgeous but I do rather prefer the one you made to be honest, I like the shaping of yours much more but Grant's is gorgeous too, bravo to the both of you.

Briar Spirit":j6ic23mw said:
What a wonderful opportunity Brian, very pleased you had an enjoyable time with Grant, I must say that both pipes are absolutely gorgeous but I do rather prefer the one you made to be honest, I like the shaping of yours much more but Grant's is gorgeous too, bravo to the both of you.
What the Kirkmiester said!

Cheers,

RR

I'd say you learned your lessons well! That stem work alone looks fantastic (and your previous work was no slouch!)

A beautiful pair of pipes, but then that's what I would expect when you couple a gifted teacher with a talented pupil.
Kudos to you both.

Adam

this makes me happy :)

I have a deep love for Grant and his family, they are precious wonderful people

rev

Thanks guys. Stem work was one of the things on my list that I wanted to cover. There's a number of ways to do stems well, and fast. I've never liked stem work a whole lot, but I'm quickly warming up to it now!

His family is great. I enjoyed being around them all.

Those pipes are amazing. Glad he was able to improve upon your already amazing skill set! When doing stem extensions that long do you run a metal tenon through?

What a great experience! :cheers: Ok, I'll get out the wallet... ;)

Seriously, very nice work for a first go! Your bag of tricks is certainly something to be reckoned with now, if ever it wasn't before. This should get you all your Danish school shapes and more. Hurray!