Time to stop stalking and join in

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alandadp

Reaction score
My name is Adam and I’m from Plymouth, England.
I spent twenty-two years in the Royal Navy before taking up a career in computing. I now break other peoples’ programs for a living (official title – Test Analyst).
I have smoked a pipe on and off (mostly on) for over thirty years but only really used Falcons all that time (cheap and almost indestructible, good attributes for a serviceman’s pipe).
I was going to introduce myself to BoB and start taking an active part in the forums over a year ago when I decided to branch out and buy some ‘real’ pipes and smoke something other than Condor Long Cut.
Unfortunately disaster struck, I got sinusitis again (I’d had it every year around Christmas for about six years) and this time it didn’t go away. I couldn’t taste tobacco properly and didn’t feel I could really contribute to discussions on tobacco or the smoking properties of pipes.
Despite the ‘best’ efforts of the Cathedral of Incompetence (my local hospital) I still suffer from a shitty taste in my mouth and a burning tongue but the symptoms have subsided to a point where I can taste tobacco again and feel I can contribute to the forums and move from being a read only ‘stalker’ to someone who might be able to contribute something.
During this past year I have still been able to smoke, albeit less frequently than I’d like, and have been building a collection of pipes ready for when I am finally free of this crappy lurgy. Being a bit OCD, my pipe collecting has become a ‘little’ obsessive and I have amassed an assortment of around 60 of the damn things! I will post pictures in the Photo Gallery when I’ve worked out how.
My mouth presently only tolerates certain tobaccos but I don’t know which ones until I’ve tried them so I have built up quite a store of blends in Kilner Jars waiting to see if I like them better sometime in the future. If not then members here will be offered free aged tobaccos!

Presently smoking Robert McConnell’s Scottish Cake, Rattrey’s Old Gowrie and Marlin Flake, MacBaran’s HH Acadian Perique and 7 Seas Regular, Torben Dansk Black Velvet, and, of course, Condor Long Cut.

Having read the forums for over a year, I already feel I know many of you so I will apologise in advance if any of my posts appear too familiar while you’re thinking ‘who the bloody hell is this bloke?’

Welcome to BoB, belatedly. Glad you are not stalking us anymore, LOL. You really should have joined in earlier even with the sinusitis (I have it too by the way). Anyway, good to have you!!!!!

Welcome to the brotherhood. Tell your sinusitis to take a hike!

Welcome aboard Adam!

P.S. Condor Long Cut is awesome tobacco, I envy you about it's availability.

Good to hear you're becoming active here rather than lurking, Adam. Best wishes on that complaint, it can't be pleasant.

And welcome to BoB.

Cheers,

RR

Hello Adam, nice to have you participating, be as familiar as you feel comfortable with, we're a fairly easy going bunch here, enjoy your times here with us, welcome to BoB.  :cheers: :sunny: 

Hey fellas, new to the group. I am a Private Detective in Oklahoma, and a new pipe smoker.
I put down cigarettes after 30 years and rediscovered pipes. I love the pipes, and didn't realize how I hated cigarettes.
I began piping in August last year, and had a rough start (pipe tongue king) to piping.
Anyway, I have started collecting Smokemaster pipes, and noted there is very little info on them, for instance, there are smokemaster pipes with blue, orange, and yellow diamond symbols on them, but I also have one early version with a yellow diamond with B in the diamond.
Enough rambling, glad to be here guys, thanks.

I say, how splendid, another fine fellow from Blighty! Hey Shippers, how's tricks? Good to see a matelot on the forum and one from Guz at that. Looking forward to sharing a few dits with you and, perhaps if we're lucky, a goffer or two. Great to have you aboard Adam...

Welcome Adam! I hope the taste buds continue to improve. Like some others here, I envy you the access to Condor.

Welcome also to notfat (and wish I could say the same!)

"T"

Glad you joined us.

Let's see now...Royal Navy, pipe smoker...do you play darts as well?

I remember getting shellaced by the Brit sailors when I tossed arrows in Hampton Roads, Va 25 years ago (and I was good too, by American standards, back then).  :D