Tins versus Bulk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim in Ohio

Reaction score
I saw a recent pic of an enviable cellar full of various tins of tobacco including a nice sized pile of Sam Gawith FVF tins. Which got me wondering about teh merits of buying and storing the small tins versus buying my beloved FVF by the pound in bulk and cellaring it in Ball Jars. I want to build a stockpile for smoking enjoyment for years and years to come. Brothers... enlighten me. :scratch:

The experts here will likely tell you it's cheaper and safer to buy bulk and jar it for long term storage, there's a small possibility of tins rusting through from the outside, or from the inside. Besides, the savings alone in enough incentive. (for me anyway)

When I was just casually buying, I picked up a lot of tins. Same when Dunhill ended (both times) I picked up quite a few tins cause that was mostly all there was. Now that I am buying for purpose of avoiding potential taxes and build my cellar, it is mostly bulks for those I can get. Some brands (McClelland) you have to guess if the bulk is the same as the tins and even then the quality can be different, so I buy tins of those favorites.

I buy both but lean towards tins. The reason for this is that tins accumulate in value with each passing year. I buy bulk to smoke but I buy my tins as more of an investment....

I buy mostly tins, alot of the blends I like only come in tins. I buy bulk also if what im looking for comes in bulk and there are a couple that I smoke all the time that i will buy in bulk. 80% of what I buy are tins for longer storage.