Tips??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepbass9

Reaction score
So, been puffing for almost a year now, and have done plenty of reading on all aspects.

I know the 3 pack method.

I know the Frank method.

I cut and cube flakes, fold & stuff 'em, and occasionally rub them out.

I smoke ribbons, flakes, broken flake, plugs, coins...the gambit I guess. I smoke burleys, VAs, VApers, English, Balkan, aros.

I know how to light, I know how to tamp.

What I don't know how to do is smoke with very few lightings. I'm an attentive smoker, usually sitting 'puter side with (I know it's getting old) a Hop Devil aside.

I guess I should count, but really it's many more than a dozen I'd guess, lights per pipe. It doesn't really bother me, but I see posts all the time akin to "one light and she smokes to a fine ash", and so forth.

So what gives? Any pointers to get me through a bowl with less butane?

I should add that I do smoke my baccy on the drier side, so moisture isn't an issue.

I'll post the advice my dad gave me back in 1959 when I started smoking pipes. Still use it and it still works for me and many others.

Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.
Pack it looser than you think you need to.
Smoke it slower than you think you need to.
Tamp it less , and more lightly, than you think you need to.
Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits of some sort.
Don’t worry if you have a few relights.

Tilt's dad has a point... Any of those suggestions will at least get you to a place where you can see what you could improve upon.

I only relight about twice in a bowl, and I smoke "half bowls" as I have since I was in high school...back when I got beat up for even smoking a pipe.

I tend to pack by hand (fingertip) so I can feel how tamped I am...i don't always follow "the rules" and I get a good smoke. When I don't get a good smoke, I go back to the "rules" as a guide.

Just don't get caught up in methods, and don't be afraid to relight. 8)

Just to add, always know: cleanliness is next to godliness. 8)

tiltjlp":p2mmzztz said:
I'll post the advice my dad gave me back in 1959 when I started smoking pipes. Still use it and it still works for me and many others.

This.

Ive been through the same thing you're experiencing. Reading about tons of different methods etc. Try sticking with one until you master it. Try sticking with one tobacco for a while maybe. Try packing fairly loose and barely tamping.

My first few years of pipe smoking (only smoking once or twice a week) were not very rewarding. It wasn't until I started taking it more seriously and experimenting with my technique that I started having really, really good smokes. Don't over think it. Out of every 100 bowls I have maybe 10-15 that smoke all the way down with no relights whatsoever. And sometimes when a pipe goes out and I let it sit for a few minutes it's even better when I light back up. YMMV but like others have said, don't fret. Eventually you'll find what works for you. And you'll realize smoking a bowl down all the way without relighting isn't really any more satisfying 8)

deepbass9":wp5pkpjs said:

Use wooden matches :lol!:

Seriously, the preceding advice seems right on the money. Most tobacco is too wet out of the tin and most fellows don't dry it enough.

Also, given that you are involved with other activities while smoking, don't forget to puff occassionally. I tend to be a clencher and try to make sure a small bit of air is always moving through the pipe, in or out. Most times this results in a nice smooth, cool smoke, but occassionally, the pipe can become a bit warm, when this happens, I set it aside until cool and then relight.

deepbass9":ruio2l11 said:

Use wooden matches :lol!:

Seriously, the preceding advice seems right on the money. Most tobacco is too wet out of the tin and most fellows don't dry it enough.

Also, given that you are involved with other activities while smoking, don't forget to puff occassionally. I tend to be a clencher and try to make sure a small bit of air is always moving through the pipe, in or out. Most times this results in a nice smooth, cool smoke, but occassionally, the pipe can become a bit warm, when this happens, I set it aside until cool and then relight.

My experience tells me that you hold your pipe rather than clenching it. Pipe tobacco burns more easily if properly lit from the git go and then it stays lit if you clench and just mildly sip rather than puff. If you hold the pipe it tends to go out because there is no air being pulled into the bowl. If you clench the pipe and just breathe normally there is a constant air flow even though you are not inhaling any smoke. In fact, a pipe that is clenched will most probably only need tamping once or twice to burn all the way to the bottom. Be sure that you char light and then relight in a circular fashion to get the crown completely lit, and then clench for a pleasant smoke. By completely lighting the crown at the beginning of the smoke the tobacco will burn evenly down the bowl to the very bottom. With experience, your smoking cadence will become automatic and relights will become rather infrequent. As a matter of fact, I am keyboarding and clenching simultaneously and the pipe literally takes care of itself. I'm enjoying a large bowl of Maltese Falcon in an oom paul and I have not had to relight even once.

s.ireland":6bpafru1 said:
Ive been through the same thing you're experiencing. Reading about tons of different methods etc. Try sticking with one until you master it. Try sticking with one tobacco for a while maybe. Try packing fairly loose and barely tamping.

My first few years of pipe smoking (only smoking once or twice a week) were not very rewarding. It wasn't until I started taking it more seriously and experimenting with my technique that I started having really, really good smokes. Don't over think it. Out of every 100 bowls I have maybe 10-15 that smoke all the way down with no relights whatsoever. And sometimes when a pipe goes out and I let it sit for a few minutes it's even better when I light back up. YMMV but like others have said, don't fret. Eventually you'll find what works for you. And you'll realize smoking a bowl down all the way without relighting isn't really any more satisfying 8)
This is good stuff.
And I do recommend spending the time to really get to know a blend and it's characteristics, and how it likes different pipes.

Thanks, Gents. I'm going to try tiltjlp's tips. I think maybe I could dry even longer prior to smoking, and probably pack a little looser. Good stuff.

tiltjlp":68amqw6d said:

shootist51":68amqw6d said:
Also, given that you are involved with other activities while smoking, don't forget to puff occassionally.
LIPIPE":68amqw6d said:
My experience tells me that you hold your pipe rather than clenching it.
No, for me sitting in front of the computers is mostly reading or watching netflix, with the occasional BOB post typing. I put that bit in there to say that I'm mostly relaxing and giving my attention to smoking and not just puffing while being absorbed in something else. Written words, and all that.

I'm also pretty much a clencher and do the breathing technique. Eh, not so much with the CW's. Valid points, guys, and thanks for bringing them up.

Thanks for the posts.

...I know you're digesting the inundation of suggestions, but Tilt up there sent a forum link in the thread as I asked about how to treat a corncob pipe (as I'm now the proud owner of some new Missouri Meerschaums)... while this link covered the gamut, this advice really hit home as I relate so closely to my own success methods pipe smoking:

tiltjlp":brti9r3y said:
The most important thing is smoking lazy, as I call it. Ideally, your pipe should always be on the verge of going out; that's how you extract the most taste and flavor from whatever blend you are enjoying. You should keep your cobs, and other pipes, sparkling clean. I’ll use a pipe cleaner during a smoke, if needed, and both bristle and regular cleaners after every single smoke. I use 91% Isopropyl whenever needed, which is usually every couple of smokes, at the most. The time and expense needed to keep your pipes clean will pay you dividends in more flavor and enjoyment.

Good stuff right there.

deepbass9":1x8tnmmy said:
I guess I should count, but really it's many more than a dozen I'd guess, lights per pipe. It doesn't really bother me, but I see posts all the time akin to "one light and she smokes to a fine ash", and so forth.
LOL! The very next thing most of the one, two, and three light folks say is "Now, that I've mastered packing and the mechanics of smoking I'm now working on building cake - anybody have suggestions?"

Cake occurs where you light. The more you relight the more evenly the cake forms up and down the bowl. Many pipe smokers find that they get a significant ring at the top of the bowl because of course that's where we light first and always. But you will notice more rings of cake further down in the chamber. Cake is a record of our relighting habits. And we relight because we're sipping and it's smouldering away on the edge of going out mostly.

New pipe smokers get a little frustrated with all the relighting and often work at minimizing relights. And next they start asking about cake because their pipe chamber walls remain fairly clean. These are related. And of course, it should go without saying, that one has to actually smoke the pipes.

One of the symptoms that one isn't a beginner any more is that they couldn't tell you how many times they relight because it has submerged into the subconscious. So it ceases to be of interest. They may notice a change in rhythm if they change cuts though. If you think I'm kidding, I'm not. It used to be that we could observe other pipe smokers daily so we had norms of behviour, eg how frequently they relit. Generally speaking, this is no longer true. We mostly smoke alone and lately many pipe smokers are new (and we appreciate the resurgence!). So relights have interest way beyond their significance.

Don't worry about it. Vary the pack density until you're happy with burn and then forget relights. It's a pointless metric. Only beginners seem to think minimizing relights is a worthwhile goal. We all relight. A lot. Burley smokers may relight less than Virginia smokers but it's an irrelevant statistic.

And we'll have none of this shaking ash in the bowl stuff. That's not cake; it's flaky ash and it'll fall off the chamber wall. No, real men gleefully consume Butane as if it's endangered.

It's all about flavour & satisfaction. And that's really the objective of all the fussing. Oh and the answer to your question is 40 years.

Rusty FTW...great info. Yeah, I'm not sure why not relighting is considered some kind of newbie goal. I know sometimes I revisit this ideal when I just can't keep the thing lit--doesn't happen very often, undoubtedly something I may have not done consistently, could be ambient conditions, or that's just the way the smoke goes. Time to go with the flow and not stress it at that point.

More recently, getting back into this, I'm finding myself so lost in my pipe experience while smoking, I suddenly relight and realize there's nothing in the bowl but ash... :p :lol: Nothing like a tongue coating of carbon to wake you up. 8)

I have to say, I'm really glad I posted this thread...I had my doubts as to the kinds of responses I'd get. But there's more pointed info in this than I can recall reading anywhere...

While I asked about the one-light smokers, it's not really because I'm obsessed with it...it's because it didn't seem realistic and I wondered how the hell they do it....and what I must be doing wrong. Reading the tobac reviews, damn...every tobac and every reviewer is a "one light" needed wonder.

Thanks for separating fact and fiction. Interesting to note the cake and lighting relationship. Cake is one thing that I've never really given much thought to, assuming it'll build at it's own pace....and it has.

As a sipper, I relight often...and it looks like I'll continue to do so. I love my Old Boy...putting it to use is the reason I bought it.

Cheers!

I typically only smoke cobs outdoors, unless it's a very calm day. Regardless, I find it takes fewer relights outdoors as compared to inside the house.

Don't worry, I've had only a very few bowls in my 19-years of pipe smoking that were one-light wonders. Three to four relights seem pretty typical for me these days.

I think most pipe smokers struggle with getting fewer relights, as it can interrupt a great smoke, especially if your hands are busy with a book or keyboard. As others have stated, it is a part of this method of smoking. One technique I learned of recently which does seem to help a bit is to hold the tamper on the tobacco (not to press) after a light and just smoke gently. The "theory" is that it helps make the cherry hotter which will expand the cherry, making a overall larger topping of lit tobacco. Of course I am a sampler (enjoy a wide range of tobacco without a rotation) and each tobacco (and type - ribbon, flake, coins) are packed differently... and then you have moisture levels to contend with - so I have two lighters handy in my kit as running out of fuel would really grind my gears :)

I guess it depends if you think of pipe smoking as a "discipline" to master or a pastime to enjoy and perhaps get more enjoyment out of over time.

I always got bored trying to smoke with no relights so I never have been able to remember just how many lights it takes me. It seems more enjoyable to me when I'm only peripherally aware of technique and just in my own little world while smoking. The best is when it just tastes amazing and all of a sudden I notice the bowl is almost out. I had no consciousness of time or anything.

It`s a little like playing a musical instrument IMHO:

If you're just thinking "how to", "should be", or some other technical consideration it loses it's fun very quickly. It gets very frustrating, hard, and boring eventually.

When you're just playing music, having fun, and trying to sound the best you can it usually is fun and will generally sound that way.

Just my thoughts. :geek:

deepbass9":qg66sh0u said:
As a sipper, I relight often...and it looks like I'll continue to do so. I love my Old Boy...putting it to use is the reason I bought it.
...sipper, being lucky enough to be in the company of other pipe smokers or having a good conversation (even if it is with yourself...perhaps that's just me...:lol: :) ) -- you'll relight a few times. 8) I relate.