To filter or not to filter, that is the question.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zjgilbert

Reaction score
Been away for a bit, but now I am back. I got to thinking about balsa wood filters and those without filters. What are your all's preferences? Why does it seem that so many people dislike them?

zjgilbert":eifoascn said:
Been away for a bit, but now I am back. I got to thinking about balsa wood filters and those without filters. What are your all's preferences? Why does it seem that so many people dislike them?
I won't even consider buying a pipe with a filter.

1. Can't run a cleaner through the pipe without removing the stem.
B. When you remove the filter, it's totally gross.
3. Conceptually, I just don't like having something filtering the smoke in my pipe. Airflow restriction leads to more gurgling which leads to a need for more filters... so I say toss the filter and buy a pipe that's drilled correctly. Then you've no need for them!

I've used the Savinelli balsa filters as well as several others, including activated charcoal and crushed meershaum. Filters can provide a nice and cool smoke if you don't abuse them (i.e., if you don't use the same filter too many times). They benefit wet smokers that don't want to fiddle with pipe cleaners during the smoke. They are also be very friendly to first-time smokers.

The only disadvantage I see in filters is that, sometimes, gurgling does not go away simply by tamping. In those cases, it's necessary to insert a pipe cleaner all the way through to the bowl. You also need the pipe cleaner if the pipe gets blocked. But there are workarounds to these issues.

Stopped using filters because I prefer to use a pipe cleaner when needed. And because most of the pipes I like do not accept filters. But I don't really have anything bad to say about their use.

If you want to try, I think Savinelly pipes come with an adaptor that allows you to smoke a filter pipe without a filter.

To filter/To not filter. You've opened the proverbial "can of worms" with that one :p There are so many OPINIONS about this that you really need to give it a try BOTH ways to get your answer. There are many manufacturers of some quality pipes today that can be smoked either with/without the balsa filters so my suggestion would be to give a few bowls of your fave tobac a try in one that would let you try it BOTH ways. I've read where most pipes sold in Germany and Italy are used with these filters and if their owners and smokers find enjoyment with them I'm not going to say they are wrong. Good luck :p

Wet Dottle":y5wr900a said:
If you want to try, I think Savinelly pipes come with an adaptor that allows you to smoke a filter pipe without a filter.
I actually picked up a Savinelli. I haven't tried it yet with the adaptor, just the filter, so I can't give any input on the difference. However, I do find my Savinelli to be the cooler smoking of my two pipes. I was unsure if this would be due to the filter or just the pipe itself.

zjgilbert":fvl8s08e said:
Wet Dottle":fvl8s08e said:
I actually picked up a Savinelli. I haven't tried it yet with the adaptor, just the filter, so I can't give any input on the difference. However, I do find my Savinelli to be the cooler smoking of my two pipes. I was unsure if this would be due to the filter or just the pipe itself.
Have you tried the SAME tobac in it both with and without the filter? This should give you an answer :p

monbla256":r04b7vjs said:
Have you tried the SAME tobac in it both with and without the filter? This should give you an answer :p
I haven't. After reading these posts I'll have to give it a shot tonight. I'm thinking maybe some My Mixture 965 :)

I ended up with a Sav from an estate that didn't include filters which smoked fairly well. Adding the plastic bit (had to order one from 4noggins) helped immensely. I've always been curious about how filters would change the pipe, but not interested enough to order a set just for that purpose.

This question reminds me of the eternal question, "Do you like fake boobs, or real ones?"

I have several pipes in my collection that are made for filters. I find myself smoking them frequently when I am behind the wheel of my pickup, or when involved in any activity that requires both hands.

I particularly like using filters in all my cobs, as it maintains the same airflow that was intended for the cob from the manufacturer. It also allows me to keep most of the smoking moisture contained in the filter, when I am in a situation where I need to smoke multiple bowls out of the same pipe. It's really nice to only need to carry one pipe when I go to the woods to bowhunt.

As to whether it affects the flavor of my tobacco, I cannot detect any difference.

As for the question of fake boobs or real ones, I think Jimmy Kimmel summed it up best when he said, "If they exist, they are real." :D

I believe the reason why Germany sells so many filter pipes is that it's the law. That just might skew the consumption choices of pipe smoking Germans rather than nod to a specific preference.

All I know is I don't have moisture problems so much that I've ever needed a filter for drying, and I've never found my tobacco so harsh I needed to filter the smoke. I either stuck to pipes that smoked well due to design, or I learned their proclivities, or I got rid of the offending tobacco.

Filters, to my knowledge, were largely marketed to make cigarette smokers feel more comfortable. Beyond that, they're a quasi-useful gimmick some people like. I'm not one of them.

*shrug*

8)

My first Sav had the triangular balsa filter. Being as I was a newbie I went with that concept for a few years. Changed out the filter every so often. Always was kind of gross.

One day I got tired of the fussing with the filters and went without.

Been using that same pipe regularly with better results ever since.

Filters........meh..........

:no:

Cheers,

RR

Used to own a Sav Dry system pipe complete with balsa filters... I used up the pack of ten or however many came with it. After that, I smoked it with the adapter and thought "much better". Then when it came time to clean the pipe, it wasn't all gross like it had been after a few bowls using the filter.

Never bought a pipe drilled for a filter again. Although, if I find a pipe that speaks to me but has a filter system, I figure I'll just make an insert adapter thing if it doesn't have one already. Problem solved.

I've used the Sav filters in a cob as well. Again, no real benefit IMHO

FWIW: when I was a cigarette smoker I also prefered no filters

Except for cobs, I wouldn't buy a filter pipe again. A few of my older ones were made for them. I have a Jobey Strawberry that actually smokes better with a filter (although not balsa, that made it worse). On the other hand, I don't mind the Brigham inserts

DrT999":b1rjtyep said:
Except for cobs, I wouldn't buy a filter pipe again. A few of my older ones were made for them. I have a Jobey Strawberry that actually smokes better with a filter (although not balsa, that made it worse). On the other hand, I don't mind the Brigham inserts
I've never used one. I did hear that they pass a cleaner while the stem is still assembled.. Is that true? Big points if it's true.

s.ireland":s8ar6z7b said:
DrT999":s8ar6z7b said:
I've never used one. I did hear that they pass a cleaner while the stem is still assembled.. Is that true? Big points if it's true.
Sort of -- the Long bristle cleaner will usually work but anything thicker (ironically including the Brigham cleaners) won't. I normally just use a Falcon cleaner when I don't disassemble any pipe in any case.

The only real positive aspect I have found with filters is that they seem to tone down the bite I tend to get from some Mac Baren tobaccos. Otherwise I find them worthless. In my humble opinion.

So after killing a bowl without the filter I seem to have come to the same conclusion as some. It helps tone down the bite, but does little else. I don't use the filter for more than one bowl, so I guess it'd be more economical as well.

UberHuberMan":xhnw8e4w said:
zjgilbert":xhnw8e4w said:
I won't even consider buying a pipe with a filter.

1. Can't run a cleaner through the pipe without removing the stem.
B. When you remove the filter, it's totally gross.
3. Conceptually, I just don't like having something filtering the smoke in my pipe. Airflow restriction leads to more gurgling which leads to a need for more filters... so I say toss the filter and buy a pipe that's drilled correctly. Then you've no need for them!
Amen to that.

I have a couple of pipes drilled to accept filters.

I smoke them without the filters and I got rid of the adaptors as well. I've read somewhere that a pipe can be damaged if smoked without an adaptor. I really can't see how this can happen.

I'm wondering what the brothers think about this issue?

I always avoided filters, but I have a Stefano that I picked up on ebay that takes 9mm filters. I have had it for a couple of years now, but never had a filter to try. Its a pretty good smoker, but does collect moister, so I finally (just yesterday as a matter of fact) added an adapter and a pack of filters to an order I placed with cup o' joes, just to see if either makes any difference.