To what does KENDAL refer to?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U-235

Reaction score
I want to purchase some Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Kendal Kentucky. I see the word Kendal used quite a bit. Is it a flavoring added to the tobacco? Kendal Kentucky sounds good: 100% dark-fired Kentucky tobacco. But if there is any flavoring added to it, then I won't buy it. I do not like aromatics of any kind. Anyone ever tried Kendal Kentucky?

Kendal is a region in England. Kendal Kentucky is not scented. It is a strong shag cut tobacco. I keep a pound or so on hand. Good stuff.

many of the blends/mixtures made in this region of England make liberal use of a flavoring agent known as Tonquin, so you might find it in this blend as well. It's often refered to as "old lady's soap" by many "experts"  :twisted: :twisted: 

If you want some good, untopped dark fired, try the HH Old Dark Fired from MacBaren, or Jack Knife Plug by GL Pease. I believe both have a little Virginia or other tobaccos in there (most blends do) but the dark fired is the predominant note by far. These blends are almost always available, too.

G&H is terrific stuff, probably my overall favorite blending house, but even the so-called unscented tobaccos end up getting a little scent in them. If you ever see pictures of the operation, you'll understand why.

I heard of the work "Kendal" being associated with a strong floral casing. That's why I hesitated from purchasing Kendal Kentucky. I think I will add a few ounces of it along with my next order. Thanks you guys for your invaluable help.

I don't detect any of the "traditional British flavourings" in Kendal Kentucky--just really good pure tobacco. As noted above, though, some find a hint of these scents in even the supposedly unflavored/unscented GH tobaccos like KK and Dark Bird's Eye (another excellent smoke). Maybe some batches get more exposed to cross-contamination during production. KK really good stuff one way or the other.

In my opinion, our taste buds often detect a scent, or flavoring on some of the Gawith houses blends that is not an added liquid scent or flavoring/topping.  But is actually the the taste of one of the tobaccos used.  It could be a natural taste or something in the processing.  When they toast or dark fire the tobaccos, it's possible that what they are using gives it a bit of a floral taste.  Or that could be a natural taste of that variety of tobacco from that soil.

Not to be confused with that scenting of "Old Ladies Undies" that they use on some blends.  Or Tonquin which is accused of all sins.  When you smoke those blends, you will know it.  

Does Kendal Kentucky have it?  If so, it's fleeting.  I do not recall it.  Just strong, smoky, and a little sweetness.  A cousin is Kendal No 7.  Accused of having chocolate as a flavoring.  I never tasted it, but Cathy said I stunk from oil.  It's also good stuff if you like laying on the floor and wondering where you are.

Carlos":lga3nhuo said:
In my opinion, our taste buds often detect a scent, or flavoring on some of the Gawith houses blends that is not an added liquid scent or flavoring/topping.  But is actually the the taste of one of the tobaccos used.  It could be a natural taste or something in the processing.  When they toast or dark fire the tobaccos, it's possible that what they are using gives it a bit of a floral taste.  Or that could be a natural taste of that variety of tobacco from that soil.
It seems likely to me that one of these is the case.

Carlos":8pqnoka7 said:
Kendal No 7...   It's also good stuff if you like laying on the floor and wondering where you are.
That got a good laugh out of me. :lol:   I've have to try some of that Kendal No 7.  Does it make you hallucinate also? :affraid:   I was chewing RedMan and smoking Lucky Strikes when a similar experience happened to me. :twisted:   Good Ol' nicotine. :cheers:

You will probably be right at home with either one. Packing shag sometimes takes a bit of practice. Too loose and it can burn hot. Too tight and it will stop drawing.

U-235":obrqd7mz said:
Carlos":obrqd7mz said:
Kendal No 7...   It's also good stuff if you like laying on the floor and wondering where you are.
That got a good laugh out of me. :lol:   I've have to try some of that Kendal No 7.  Does it make you hallucinate also? :affraid:   I was chewing RedMan and smoking Lucky Strikes when a similar experience happened to me. :twisted:   Good Ol' nicotine. :cheers:

Hey folks, I might be able to help out a little here with the geographical aspect. Kendal is a town in the Lake District (known locally as the 'Lakes') in the north west of England so it's not really a region. The town is a hot spot for outdoor activities in England. As I understand it, Samuel Gawith is based here putting together his famous blends.

U-235":q7peqydx said:
 Kendal Kentucky sounds good: 100% dark-fired Kentucky tobacco.  But if there is any flavoring added to it, then I won't buy it.  I do not like aromatics of any kind.  Anyone ever tried Kendal Kentucky?
I was convinced I didn't like any aromatics early in my pipe career also but I fell hard for the scented Lakeland tobaccos. They do not equate to other aromatics. When it comes to Lakeland tobaccos I recommend keeping an open mind and trying not to think of them as just another aromatic. Others on here could recommend a subtly flavored Lakeland, I love it strongly flavored now.

juanmedusa":v8pl6h6h said:
I was convinced I didn't like any aromatics early in my pipe career also but I fell hard for the scented Lakeland tobaccos. They do not equate to other aromatics. When it comes to Lakeland tobaccos I recommend keeping an open mind and trying not to think of them as just another aromatic. Others on here could recommend a subtly flavored Lakeland, I love it strongly flavored now.

I couldn't agree more.

There's nothing I hate more than Danish style aros, but when it comes to Lakeland style, I absolutely love them.

They case the tobacco in the "geranium rose" essence, (or top it with it, I don't know) which has very similar if not identical aromatic pattern as bright non-fermented virginias have. It's the type of smell that just goes along with tobacco and supplements it.

I've heard that back then, there was a law regulation in UK according to which very few substances were allowed to scent the tobacco with. Geranium rose and Tonquin were two of them. And that's how the typical "Lakeland style" tobaccos came to being. And..... they're awesome.

Condor, st. Bruno, Grassmere Flake, Enerdale Flake, No 7 and so on... you know what I mean.

I will concur with the above. I rarely smoke Danish and American style aromatics, but the way it's done in Kendal is different. I think it may be the strong, quality tobaccos used under the toppings rather than mild and/or sub-par leaf which leaves the topping to stand on it's own in most other aromatics. I think of lakeland aromatics as a completely different genre from Danish/American style, and one that I appreciate.