To whom it may concern

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Life has another change for me, whether it be a good decision on my part I'm really unsure but, as of today I sold my shop building and decided to move to Utah to live with my Daughter and family. I really need to be closer to my Daughter but, the stress this has put me under is more then the usual move I've done many times in my life. Maybe because of my age and disability now but, I hope it's the right move and it happens fairly smoothly without many upsets. As you've probably already guessed this will mean no more pipe making and it may mean I may never return to it. To tell you the truth it controls my life and stops me from doing things that need to be done and rarely gives me much pleasure anymore. It was a hobby that turn into a necessity to meet financial needs only to devour my little profit in supply costs. When is the move going to happen, I'm hoping I can get everything packed up and ready by the end of January or February but, even that remains to be seen. I'm the only one here so it'll take time to sell off and pack things. Wish me luck my friends.

Wow!

Life throws some curve balls at all of us Ron. I can only wish you well on your journey. As you'll know I've been a great supporter of your creations and feel you are an artisan in league with many of the other notables.

May your journey be seamless, and I wish you positive situations going forward. The pipe world is surely going to be a poorer place without you.

:(

Cheers,

RR

Thank you sir, I appreciate all you've done for me.

There are many many pipe makers better than I sir, I'm sure they'll fill any small gap I leave.

Holy cow sir! Quite the change coming, perhaps? Seems to be a sign of the times. I wish you the best on your future endeavors, and hope to hear of your new adventures......

Utah's nice too. Not as warm as where you're at, but nice.

Keep in touch, yes?

Ozark Wizard":cbij9mj3 said:
Holy cow sir! Quite the change coming, perhaps? Seems to be a sign of the times. I wish you the best on your future endeavors, and hope to hear of your new adventures......

Utah's nice too. Not as warm as where you're at, but nice.

Keep in touch, yes?  
Thank you OW and Yes! ;)

There's many hard decisions we have to make in life, Ron. It seems the older we get the decisions seem to be more circumstance than choice. I'm having a lot of life changing things hitting me from all sides right now too. I pray that God makes this a great experience for you and that you'll be very happy there. I do wish I had been in financial position to get one of your pipes before you quit, but things are as they are. Keep looking up, brother.

Simple Man":9lhl4687 said:
There's many hard decisions we have to make in life, Ron. It seems the older we get the decisions seem to be more circumstance than choice. I'm having a lot of life changing things hitting me from all sides right now too. I pray that God makes this a great experience for you and that you'll be very happy there. I do wish I had been in financial position to get one of your pipes before you quit, but things are as they are. Keep looking up, brother.
Thank you so much my friend!

Hey Ron,

Big changes indeed. Very sorry to learn of the RDP brand coming to an end. You've constantly impressed us Ron and it's been great to watch the journey you've been on. Maybe one day you'll get the itch again.

But family comes first, every time!

Good for you mate. Keep us updated and good luck!

I think you're on the right track with wanting to be with your family. I love my Daughter more than I could put into words, and I love having her around.

That said, I have given up pipe making several times, and I keep coming back to it.

The first time was because I wasn't selling any of my creations.

I got over that hump once my inventory started selling -- just out of the blue, really -- and I was doing pretty well with it after that.

And then I gave it up because of life changes, but I went back to making pipes again because I didn't know what else to do with my free time.

Wash, rinse, repeat ... a few times, I think.

My point being, you might want to hold onto some of your core tools, just in case you find yourself snowed-in in Utah with nothing better to do during the wintertime.

I know quite a few pipe makers who say they'd probably go crazy during their harsh northern winters if it weren't for making pipes.

Or if you know you're going to have a problem with space, sell off the big tools and buy smaller ones.

You'd be amazed at how little space you need to make a pipe if you really set your mind to it.

I don't know, just tossing it out there.

Good luck, either way.

Thank you guys for your best wishes and support, it's going to be a long road ahead but, hopefully without to many potholes.

Selling tools? Who's selling tools? Not on your life, I'm moving not dieing, there all I really have left besides my pipe collection and I ain't lett'en loose of any of it till they shove me in a hole..

mgtarheel":cw9zt3nh said:
Your talent will be sorely missed, but please continue to post when you can.
Thank you sir, I will.

Ron, my friend, I'm blown totally away by your double announcement/s!! Leaving Tejas and ending your pipe-making endeavors :( I can only say "Good luck" & please come back to us when you get established in Utah. Not to mention, I am so damn glad to own two of your beauties!! Wow, just wow!! Have a safe journey, ol' buddy!! :cheers: :cheers: FTRPLT

Sorry to hear that there may not be any more pipes made by your hand, Ron. I consider the three I have among my very best, both in construction and performance. And looks! Be that as it may, this sounds like a good move on your part, tempered somewhat by the incredible hassle of moving. I always hated it, but once settled in, everything becomes cool. Good luck and all that. Does your daughter know you're coming? :lol:

Ron, I am sorry to hear things have taken a turn that require such a drastic change on your part. I just got back from Utah on Wednesday and its a beautiful place. It sure isn't the piney woods of Texas but beautiful just the same. Hopefully you'll find time and space to keep going with your pipe making but if nothing else something to keep you busy. Wish I was close enough to give you a hand. I know how hard moving can be when you aren't well.

Best to you and your daughter
Jim

Cartaphilus":s88dgp8f said:
Selling tools? Who's selling tools? Not on your life, I'm moving not dieing, there all I really have left besides my pipe collection and I ain't lett'en loose of any of it till they shove me in a hole..
Whew!  You had me worried for a moment, Ron.  

I hope the move and all the changes are ONLY for the better. I also hope you find plenty of time for pipe making.

Pete

Thank you kind Gentlemen, I'm not disappearing just moving but, pipemaking will not resume......at least not for a couple of years because there's just enough room for me there and no place to make a shop. Besides, as I said earlier it hasn't given me much pleasure of late and I need to at least get away from it for a good awhile. Maybe then I can get back to it as a HOBBY again and not a job, maybe I'll even make MYSELF a pipe or two for once. ;)

Hang in there Ron! Being closer to your daughter can only be a good thing. Don't close the door or your mind to coming back to pipe making either. You're good at it and a little break might actually bring back the enthusiasm. Maybe it'll even be enhanced by having family close by. I've personally been through this cycle with other things, and can tell you that you'll always come back to the things you love again.

Ron, I'm sorry to see you hang up your pipe making hat. It has been fun watching you get better and better as a maker. I'm sure you're making the right decision to be closer to family. The older I get the more I am beginning to realize how important that is. Best of luck to you sir!