Tobacco Aging

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hey guys,
A recent thread about cellaring got me thinking of the whole aging process.

What tobaccos do y'all feel benefit the most from aging?

For me, it would be McC 2000 and 5100 though I'm still waiting to see how FVF comes out after a year.

FVF after 3 years :D

Astley's 109, Hamborger Veermaster, Filmore - all become gorgeous after at least a couple of years.

Thankfully my beloved G.H. & co Curly Cut regular is fantastic right outta the bag 8)

For me it is GLP Cumberland. Unbelievable the difference with 2-3 years on it and at 5 years, undescribable! Probably the best tobacco that I have ever smoked. Unfortunately I only have about an ounce of the 5 yo. left but I do have an 8 oz. tin that is almost 4 yo.

I picked up two tins as gifts during a trade from another forum: Astleys no. 44 (from 2001) and Laurel Flake (2006). I like these alot, but hesitate to purchase some not knowing how they will be like fresh.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I find Orlik Golden Sliced to be better fresh than aged.

Don't worry about Laurel Flake, you can't purchase it anymore. :cry:

That was one of my all time favorites and I only have about 30 grams left. It was great fresh.

Escudo seems to age wonderfully. Was my first WOW in smoking aged tobacco.

GLP Westminster does very well with a year or so under it. I bought my first tin a little over a year ago and it smokes nicely now. It was a bit wet and I had to relight it a few times when it first arrived. I've read that after two years and more it smokes even better. Either way it is a delicious smoke. I have 6 more tins in my humble not-worth-mentioning-compared-to-some-I-see-here cellar.

The McClelland Xmas Cheers are supposed to mature nicely... but those I've had tasted pretty good right out of the tin for me.

jhuggett":68lz4dqs said:

That was one of my all time favorites and I only have about 30 grams left. It was great fresh.
May I suggest you try Sam Gawith's St. James Flake. I have been smoking it alternately with the last of my Tavern Tobacco Laurel Flake and I'm not worrying.

My favorite aged tobacco has to be Blackwoods Flake. I have not had alot of experience with aged tobaccos but from what I have had this really got my taste buds watering!

Texas Outlaw":8nkdy0vi said:
1792 seems to age very well after a few years. :)

Currently, I'm smoking some 965 from 1997. The years have been good to this blend. The different tobaccos have aged well together. It has a very mellow "kick" and is full of flavor.

Randy

grumpy1":dxjjjdq2 said:
jhuggett":dxjjjdq2 said:

May I suggest you try Sam Gawith's St. James Flake. I have been smoking it alternately with the last of my Tavern Tobacco Laurel Flake and I'm not worrying.
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually tried St. James when it first came out to compare it with Laurel Flake because it was quite a bit cheaper. I do like St. James but not as much. I keep hoping Knoxcigar will just sell the rights to SG being they blended it for them anyway but so for that hasn't happened. :lol:

Even' All, All Va. based blends do nicely with aging! :tongue: Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

Texas Outlaw":zxv87wpb said:
Hey guys,
A recent thread about cellaring got me thinking of the whole aging process.

For me, it would be McC 2000 and 5100 though I'm still waiting to see how FVF comes out after a year.
Basically anything that has Virginias in it will age very well and benefit from age. Other tobaccos, by varying degrees, not so much.

I agree - Va's seem to age like good wine, or a Revlon model.

Dangit, I shouldn't of opened Laurel Flake then. I do have some Haddo's that's about a year old. I'm worried it will ghost my pipes though, but I may dig it out tonight.

Escudo just never makes it to the cellar. I have a few coins left in a tin, and the next tin waiting beside it for when I finish them.

Escudo just loves my Tinsky Cavalier...

Texas Outlaw":4kf3dfsm said:
Dangit, I shouldn't of opened Laurel Flake then. I do have some Haddo's that's about a year old. I'm worried it will ghost my pipes though, but I may dig it out tonight.

Escudo just never makes it to the cellar. I have a few coins left in a tin, and the next tin waiting beside it for when I finish them.

Hey T.O there are many worst things than ghosting your pipe with Haddo's, hehe. :) I don't know if it will or not. I like it so much that I have 2 pipes dedicated to it primarily because I don't want anything to interfere with that ethereal goodness. :lol!:

Tennessee Dave":sdmzm4en said:
Texas Outlaw":sdmzm4en said:

Hey T.O there are many worst things than ghosting your pipe with Haddo's, hehe. :) I don't know if it will or not. I like it so much that I have 2 pipes dedicated to it primarily because I don't want anything to interfere with that ethereal goodness. :lol!:
Yeah, I have enough pipes that I can do the same. The problem is, I always want to switch what I smoke in a certain pipe. I only get the hankerin (no pun intended) for Haddos a few times a month. I'm sure I have an old Savi I can smoke it in though.

I know , I know,,,,the idea that cellaring aromatics in hopes that aging will improve the blend has been shot down from experts to novices,,,I've read everything I could find on the subject and fully respect Mr. Pease and others as and experts,,,I fully agreed with the reasons as presented,,, and it wasn't my intention to age it,,,just keep it on hand,,,,but,,,,I jarred up a pound of Boswells Penn Dutch Treat last year in half pint jars and tossed it in the cabinet,,,(it's my favorite aro),,,I went on a tobacco finding mission and after sampling 15 or 20 various tobaccos ranging through burleys, vapers, and english blends looking for my tastebud niche, I took a break and popped open a jar of my Boswells aged 15 months,,,the aroma seemed very strong and slightly fermented,,,like a liquor,,,upon lighting up I found a more intense tobacco than I remembered,,,WAIT,, I know what your going to say,,I hadn't smoked it in a long while and the wide range of non aromatics I HAD been smoking confused my memory,,,so I ordered a fresh batch from Boswells to compare,,,when it arrived, I compared the two and found indeed the aged tobacco had a more intense fermented aroma and provided a better smoke,,,,the wife said I was biased so I had her load my pipes with one or the other,,,blind test,,,over a 7 day period,,,the aged was much better. The only thing I can conclude is maybe the blend had time to meld together by sitting,,,maybe a reaction occured,,,any comments or information is appreciated,,,it's all new to me,,,, :pipe: