Tobacco fail

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
Germain's Plum Cake... I bought a tin on the suggestion of the tobacconist, but I'm not impressed, at all. Granted, only one bowl and not even a full one, but I'm reminded of GL Pease va blends that are flat and flavorless. I almost bought a tin of Fillmore but went w the recommendation because I'm forever afraid to purchase any GLP blends. Maybe I'll be able to trade the Germain... I don't know.

Anyway, this got me thinking. What blends have you guys bought, had high anticipation for, and then discarded said blend into tobacco purgatory bc it just didn't do it for you?

Some others that didn't work for me
-Montgomery
-Haddo's Delight
-Hal o' the Wynd
-Peterson PP
-McClelland DNF
And some that are just ok...
-Escudo
-Capstan Blue
-Briar Fox

Always frustrating when I can't get anything out of certain blends. Esp when they are so well received

Awww C'mon Nate,
What blends DO you prefer??? In your list of disappointments there are some great Virginia tobaccos listed.
Can I assume that you prefer Latakia mixtures despite what your avatar listing says that you are fond of Virginias.
As far as your question regarding tobaccos that I've bought and had high hopes of enjoying but discarded them only one comes to mind. Anything cherry flavored. Haven't found one yet that fills the bill. Even Gawith and Hoggarth came highly recommended and I'm finished looking for a cherry flavored tobacco, never again. And i really enjoy drinking a Cherry Coke once in a while.

:roll:

I know, going to give the DNF another go... It's been in a jar for about 6 months.

I love Marlin Flake, Dark Fragrant, St. James Woods, LBF, LNF, SG BBF, FVF, McC 5100, McC 2015, British Woods, Frog Morton variations, F &T.... And others

Just realized that's a lot of McClelland

Old Nate":zxwyk077 said:
I know, going to give the DNF another go... It's been in a jar for about 6 months.

I love Marlin Flake, Dark Fragrant, St. James Woods, LBF, LNF, SG BBF, FVF, McC 5100, McC 2015, British Woods, Frog Morton variations, F &T.... And others

Just realized that's a lot of McClelland
If you REALLY LIKE VA's, McClelland's are THE blends/mixtures for sure ! They are THE MASTERS of Va's !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Old Nate":218hu8d0 said:
Good idea.
I have a couple pounds of Dark Navy Flake (McClelland's) that has been stored for about 20 years!!!
It is so fantastic that I won't even share it!!! LOL

Andy

I just LOVE Escudo and liked Hal o' The Wynd a lot. Never smoked any GL Pease tobacco for no reason at all, just never thought about getting some.

I love McClelland tobaccos with that lovely ketchup smell!

To be honest, I've never bought any tobacco of which I thought it would be better to dump it. When I bought my first tin of Pete Irish Oak on recommodation of a friend, I did not like it at first. Thought I would just empty the tin and that's it. Today I've got enough stowed away to help out when our B&M runs dry!

I did buy some burley blends which took quite a while to finish. Wish I can find a burley to my liking. I'm going to get some Storm Front with my next order but that won't be in the near future as our dear post office staff are still on strike. If I don't like SF I will just add a bit of perique and then it will be OK :twisted:

DrumsAndBeer":gp6bid3n said:
Send all the flat GLP blends to me.

Thank you. :D

For now they're jarred for the next few years. I have hope yet for them. Wish I was getting what everyone else is from Pease... But, will age them.

I'm with you there Nate.
There are a couple Pease blends that I do enjoy however. Barbary Coast is an amazing burley blend, and Telegraph Hill which is a very nice Virginia/Perique blend, full bodied and flavorful. I'll leave all the Latakia mixtures for the discriminating professional pipers. LOL
Andy

docwatson":7aafy196 said:
I'm with you there Nate.
There are a couple Pease blends that I do enjoy however. Barbary Coast is an amazing burley blend, and Telegraph Hill which is a very nice Virginia/Perique blend, full bodied and flavorful. I'll leave all the Latakia mixtures for the discriminating professional pipers. LOL
Andy

I hear you, Andy. I believe there are GLP VA blends that I would like, just need to find them... Part of the fun, really... So I should prob quit complaining.

Right off the bat, I fell in love with McClelland's Blackwoods Flake. I quickly became enamored with SG FVF. I tried Hall O The Wynd at about that time and found it just as you described, rather flat and uninteresting. Fast forward a few years and I come across that same jar of HoTW and I was in love. I first attributed it to age, but I enjoy it new just as much. That has become my go to smoke.

That's a long way of saying, if it doesn't work for you now, put it in a jar and revisit it in the future. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Dave_In_Philly":e6t69ua2 said:
That's a long way of saying, if it doesn't work for you now, put it in a jar and revisit it in the future. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Oh yes, sir!  :cheers:

Dave_In_Philly":t34ev3ig said:
Right off the bat, I fell in love with McClelland's Blackwoods Flake. I quickly became enamored with SG FVF. I tried Hall O The Wynd at about that time and found it just as you described, rather flat and uninteresting. Fast forward a few years and I come across that same jar of HoTW and I was in love. I first attributed it to age, but I enjoy it new just as much. That has become my go to smoke.

Still need to get my hands on Blackwood's Flake. And I'm hoping my Hal and other GLP blends age to my liking.

docwatson":wtefnsmj said:
Awww C'mon Nate,
What blends DO you prefer??? In your list of disappointments there are some great Virginia tobaccos listed.
Can I assume that you prefer Latakia mixtures despite what your avatar listing says that you are fond of Virginias.
As far as your question regarding tobaccos that I've bought and had high hopes of enjoying but discarded them only one comes to mind. Anything cherry flavored. Haven't found one yet that fills the bill. Even Gawith and Hoggarth came highly recommended and I'm finished looking for a cherry flavored tobacco, never again. And i really enjoy drinking a Cherry Coke once in a while.

:roll:
Dam doc I think you and I have the same tastes. MIKE

Somebody PLEASE send Nate a sample of Mixture 79 or C&D Captian Bob's Blend to shut him up about tobaccos that he doesn't like!!!! :twisted:

That will give him something to REALLY bitch about!!!!!! :lol!:

DoverPipes":9n8zypuz said:
Somebody PLEASE send Nate a sample of Mixture 79 or C&D Captian Bob's Blend to shut him up about tobaccos that he doesn't like!!!! :twisted:

That will give him something to REALLY bitch about!!!!!! :lol!:
Hey now, what's wrong with Capt. Bob's Blend??? :p

I am very much a burley fan, and along with that some pretty serious Balkan and lat-heavy blends.... but I do have a soft spot for Capt. Bob's... Sometimes a bit of grape cough syrup is just what you need!

monbla256":q297spaf said:
If you REALLY LIKE VA's, McClelland's are THE blends/mixtures for sure ! They are THE MASTERS of Va's !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
McDonald'sClelland serves billions and billions, they can't be wrong. :p

Doc, can't you just get Cherry Coke syrup and drizzle it on some leaf? That'd work, right? :lol:

8)

WarlockBob":jksbt4xj said:
.........If you have an open mind, it's pretty good stuff.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND
CLOSED MIND

I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOU!!!!!

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!