Tobacco in tins

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konrad_von_Marburg

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know if people order bulk tobacco in bags they like to move the tobacco into airtight mason jars. What if you order tobacco in tins? Is it ok to leave the tobacco stored in the tin?

Maybe this is a dumb question but I am a relative newbie. :p

Konrad

The general answer is yes. Leave them in tins until they're opened, and then either smoke them up right away or transfer them to jars before they dry out.

Some say that the rectangular tins are prone to leakage like from Sam Gawith, although I've yet to have a problem with that. Maybe just lucky. One can get a sense if the seal has been compromised.

However, the hinged tins from Solani need to to be transferred to jars asap as the plastic liners do not do a good job of keeping the 'baccy hydrated.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":4jy8de2e said:
Konrad

The general answer is yes. Leave them in tins until they're opened, and then either smoke them up right away or transfer them to jars before they dry out.

Some say that the rectangular tins are prone to leakage like from Sam Gawith, although I've yet to have a problem with that. Maybe just lucky. One can get a sense if the seal has been compromised.

However, the hinged tins from Solani need to to be transferred to jars asap as the plastic liners do not do a good job of keeping the 'baccy hydrated.

HTH

Cheers,

RR
So the Frog Morton cellar in the tin should also be moved to an airtight mason jar? The plastic cap looks like it would seal the tobacco in. That's my confusion.

Under the plastic lid is a "pop top" like a can of tennis balls. It is air tight, but over time, rust can happen. Keep everything cool, dark and dry and all should be fine.

On the Frog Morton the plastic lid is just there to give you a way to "seal" the can back up once you pop the actual lid underneath. I personally don't bother and immediately put the tobacco into a jar. Of course thats because when I open a tin I might polish it off in a week or I may only smoke 1 bowl and then not get back to it for 6 months. Better to take care of it from the start then to have to rehydrate.

Oh and tinned tobacco can be aged in the tin for decades without issues. The oldest one I ever smoked was over 90 years old and was an absolutely devine experience. Be warned though Virginia heavy blends will cause the tins to bulge to the point you may fear the tin will burst. Thats a good thing unless the tin is only a few months old then you're dealing with a mold issue and the tobacco will be a complete loss.

Jim

An opened tin with that little plastic cap will keep for months, given half a chance. I use these tins, after smoking their contents, for short term s tobak storage.  I keep these tins in a “telephone stand” cabinet. It’s very handy, the temp is stable and they don’t get rattled around. This isn’t long term storage. It’s more like protective custody for tobak that might / might not get smoked in the next month or so.

Some good information here already but I'll embellish a bit.

It's been my experience that when you open a tin like your Frog Morton's Cellar and a keep it covered with the OEM plastic lid, like wine the tobacco in the tin will go through some changes and the flavors will open up as it decants. For me this phenomena is especially noticeable with Virginia based tobaccos. If you finish the tin quick enough you'll probably not experience any degradation in the flavor of your tobacco. However, if you wait too long to move it to a jar, the flavors will eventually degrade and flatten out. How quickly this happens all depends on where the tobacco is stored as well as the climate in which you live.

I usually keep tins open for a few weeks, maybe a month at the most and then I always move the tobacco to a jar if I haven't finished it. Keep in mind that I live in a part of California that is arid with little humidity in the spring and summer months.

I find  round tins with screw down lids perfect for storing over a long period.

I don not trust the square tins though and jar the tobacco as soon as I receive it.  A stich in time saves nine.

Square/rectangle tins, from what I understand, are more prone to losing their seal. Some folks I know tend to put those tins (the entire unopened tin) in a plastic bag and periodically check on them. That way if they do lose the seal the bag helps keep the tobacco for a bit longer until they discover it and jar it. Some just open and jar those tins because they don't trust the seal. Just a head's up!

Corncobcon":wl23okrz said:
I just had a thought...  couldn't you seal the edges with caulk?  I've heard of some using paraffin to seal, but I don't have any readily available.
'spose so, but it could get messy when finally opening. I say this from experience with paraffin sealed jars. Kind of a pita!

Better to just jar it up right away if one is concerned. And again, I have yet to have a failed seal on square/rectangular tins - with the single exception of a tin of Capstan Blue from a trade. And there I figure it came loose during transit. Jarred that one up immediately.

Cheers,

RR

I have found no issues with any of the old rectangle, round or square tins as far as loosing their seals. The only tins I had issues with were the early 2000's tins of GL Pease products. That issue was addressed and their tins are fine now.

When you get your tins from what ever retailer as long as you don't throw them on your bed and roll around in them, they should store perfectly for a good number of years.