Tobacco Jar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff

Reaction score
OK, that isn't in the description on Amazon.  But, it is a cheaper and -- to my mind -- classier one.  It seals perfectly.  It is easy to open/close.  It will bounce if you drop it.  You can see the tobacco inside.  OK, you may not have been a fan of industrial modern over decals on stoneware.  You will be.

Who knew Oxo Goodgrips makes great Tobacco Jars?

31gVHIB4yuL.jpg

I've been using ceramic jars with the wire snap down lids.  Find them at thrift stores for a few bucks...costs about $20.00 new.  I've got about 20 of them and they work just great.

I am not using it for long term storage. I am using it to store tobacco that I'm smoking. It is easy to open and seals perfect.

This looks like a great container. It is pretty big, but I can see it being a great size for the right person.

I am using a clear hard plastic jar with a wire snap down lid for whatever bulk I am currently smoking. I got mine at Walmart, and it says shatterproof. I have not dropped it yet, so it has not been tested. Mine probably holds 8 oz or so of tobacco.

I have a couple of plastic containers in use that came with my vacuum packager that we use for frozen foods. It has been one year since I started the test with bulk tobacco, and I'm hoping not to find dust inside. The tobacco looks OK inside, but you never know until you touch it. I occasionally pull on the lid and they seem to have the low vacuum still intact.

Me? I just use the standard 8 oz. Ball screw top canning jars. Have done so for decades. Why?

First off, I place sealed tins in my cellar. I check them every month or so, to make sure that are fine.

With the jars, I like how they hold 2-3 ounces (depending on the blend) and I can age them as is, and when I feel like it, I can add one of those jars in my rotation, while the reast of the sealed jars remains in my cellar to age.

YMMV.

It would be a bit too pricey to stock up on those, although the Oxo brand is typically very good quality. But for the price of one, you can get a case of quart or pint Mason jars.

For the tobacco that I am currently smoking, I use Fido bail-top jars. They keep their seal really well and the bailing wire assembly is high quality all the way. Would I buy them new? No. But I inherited several of them and they look really nice, so I use them.

Everything else is in Mason jars or tins.

DrumsAndBeer":9cq98vuk said:
It would be a bit too pricey to stock up on those, although the Oxo brand is typically very good quality. But for the price of one, you can get a case of quart or pint Mason jars.

For the tobacco that I am currently smoking, I use Fido bail-top jars. They keep their seal really well and the bailing wire assembly is high quality all the way. Would I buy them new? No. But I inherited several of them and they look really nice, so I use them.

Everything else is in Mason jars or tins.
^This. I have a bunch around the kitchen for foodstuffs. They do come in various sizes, but pricey for the size. If you're smoking enough for one of the big ones to make sense, then use it, but otherwise, the rest of the guys are probably better on target that you're spending too much buying them just for this purpose instead of glass jars. YMMV, but good option.

I should also note they should never be dropped, washed in the dishwasher, or roughly manhandled. We have lost a couple due to weak corners. They tend to crack pretty far up the side if you hit it just right. :| [edit] Here I'm referring to the OXO containers. [/edit]

mejoshee":bysse8so said:
I should also note they should never be dropped, washed in the dishwasher, or roughly manhandled. We have lost a couple due to weak corners. They tend to crack pretty far up the side if you hit it just right. :| 
No worries with Ball Screw-top Canning jars, unless you drop them (they are glass, after all).

I wash my 8 oz. Ball canning jars in the dishwasher (antiseptic cycle) and reuse them over and over. They cost me 67 cents each ATM. Given the cost of tobacco, using Ball canning jars is a no-brainer IMO.

rothnh":x3kvkomh said:
mejoshee":x3kvkomh said:
I should also note they should never be dropped, washed in the dishwasher, or roughly manhandled. We have lost a couple due to weak corners. They tend to crack pretty far up the side if you hit it just right. :| 
No worries with Ball Screw-top Canning jars, unless you drop them (they are glass, after all).  

I wash my 8 oz. Ball canning jars in the dishwasher (antiseptic cycle) and reuse them over and over.  They cost me 67 cents each ATM.  Given the cost of tobacco, using Ball canning jars is a no-brainer IMO.
I was referring to the OXO containers.

Hey I'm late getting to the party. So what else is new? I used to use a plastic container to keep my everyday go to tobacco in but it kept tasting like the plastic. My friend Walt, (pepesdad1), took care of that problem. He sent me this nice jar that now sits on the table beside my chair filled with AJN # 3 tobacco.   :) 

AJ

The wife seems to be able to find deals on these Oxo canisters. She has them in all kinds of sizes. She would never miss one if I borrowed it for tobacco. They are a handy seal sort of thing.