Quantcast
  • ~ How to Use the New Software ~

Try logging in and if it is not accepting your password,, look to the bottom right corner of page for Contact Us and send a message.

Tobacco jar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Wet Dottle

Reaction score
Had a serendipitous find that I thought to pass along. The wife dragged me to the local Container Store. While killing time I came accross this:

The jar is plastic (perspex?) and the lid seals solidly and hermetically. To open it's a one hand operation: you just squeeze the top and pull it out. There are several sizes, as you can see. For the bulk blends I've been using usual bailtop jars like these:

However, the new find is much more convenient and cheap enough to justify the swap ($10 for the jar in front). The mouth is also wider, giving much easier access to the tobacco.

Hoping you find this info useful, the usual disclaimes apply...

Pseudo Nim

Reaction score
Are those the famous mason jars of which I hear so much about ? being a more frugal old sod, when I do buy bulk or loose tobacco, I tend to use one of my many tins that I can't bear to throw out, I bend the rim of the lid in a little, close to the ends where the lugs are on the tin body, so that I can hear it snap shut.

If I'm going to keep the tabac a long time and don't want to risk air getting in, I simply wrap sellotape around the rim. :D

Wet Dottle

Reaction score
No, these are not mason jars. I wouln't use them for long term storage. But they are ideal for daily use for their convenience, much more so than the mason jars (but they are more expensive, too). Nonetheless, I bet they will preserve the contents well for a long time.

mark

Broken Pipe
Staff member
Reaction score
picked up a set (6) of stanless steel canisters at bed bath and beyond,,,bail top with silicon gasket for $20,,,four and a half inches wide at top,,,different sizes,,,hold 4 oz to half a pound,,,great for daily use

pipetongue1

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
I disagree , bail top have a tendency to loose their seals, when using mason jars I use the wide mouth quart screw down jars, Ken. :tongue: