Tobacco List for Upcoming Purchase

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLRV

Reaction score
Hi guys-

I have a bit of extra cash as a result of Christmas, so guess what I'm spending it on?

I've been pretty limited with the tobaccos I've had, something I realized once I started here. After I read around a lot, I chose a bunch of things that everyone seemed to think were pretty good and worth having around. Casting a wide net so to speak. I'm looking for additional suggestions to the list below; essentially major blends I am missing.

Pipe Tobacco Purchase List

1. GLP
a. Westminster – 2oz
b. Union Square – 2oz
2. Mac Baren
a. Mixture: Scottish Blend – 100g
3. Solani
a. Virginia Flake – 50g
b. Aged Burley Flake – 50g
4. McClelland
a. Christmas Cheer 2010 – 100g
5. A&C Peterson
a. Escudo – 50g
6. Esoterica
a. Pembroke -2oz
7. Boswell – 1oz Samplers-
a. Berry Cobbler
b. No Bite Delight
c. Peaches and Cream
d. Pennsylvania Dutch Treat
e. Sweet Dreams
f. Sweet Tea
g. Christmas Cookie
h. Mild English
i. Northwoods
j. Magnum Blend

I know some of Esoterica's more celebrated blends are not available right now, but I am definitely enjoying their Pembroke.

Yes, precisely. Part of the very mildly frustrating aspect to this is many of the blends people speak so highly of, Penzance, FVF, etc aren't around at the moment.

I guess it's ok since I don't know what I'm missing yet, lol.

CLRV":wtt856e8 said:
Yes, precisely. Part of the very mildly frustrating aspect to this is many of the blends people speak so highly of, Penzance, FVF, etc aren't around at the moment.

I guess it's ok since I don't know what I'm missing yet, lol.
Me too! :)

I would suggest from MacBaren: Navy Flake and Plumcake.
GLP: Fillmore, Haddo's Delight and Piccadilly.
McClleland, Blackwoods Flake and in 2015 and Dark Star.

I hope this helps.

OK - the Escudo is good...don't know about the Bosell stuff, never tried any. Comments below on the others:

1. GLP
a. Westminster – 2oz
b. Union Square – 2oz
(think about trying some of the classic GLP items like Haddo's, Cumberland, Samarra, etc.)
2. Mac Baren
a. Mixture: Scottish Blend – 100g
(you should try the MacBaren 'London Burley' or Navy Flake in the tin...both pretty classic)
3. Solani
a. Virginia Flake – 50g
b. Aged Burley Flake – 50g
(I'd go for the Silver Flake over either of the above...but they are winners as well)
4. McClelland
a. Christmas Cheer 2010 – 100g
(if you want a true McClelland classic you need to go for the St. James Woods, or Dark Star, Frog Morton, Grey Havens or the new Wilderness)

5. You totally forgot Cornell & Diehl...one of the true American Classic Blenders...SO many good things there!

Some good advice here. Personally, I'd lose the MacBaren stuff. I'd defintely add a C&D sampler instead of the Boswell aro's. I'd add a couple of tins of Rattray blends - Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake for instance. But these are personal preferences. Oh, & a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced.

Muddler":30eq8ekb said:
Some good advice here. Personally, I'd lose the MacBaren stuff. I'd defintely add a C&D sampler instead of the Boswell aro's. I'd add a couple of tins of Rattray blends - Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake for instance. But these are personal preferences. Oh, & a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced.
I like Orlik as well, and as for MacBaren, the Navy Flake works for me, but I avoid their aromatics.

Yeah, I guess I thought the aromatics were part of the 'wide experience' of various blends...but I'd lose them in a heartbeat for some good stuff. I agree that would be a good place in sub in a different sampler...the one from Cornell & Diehl specifically. C&D is arguably THE premier Burley blend shining star in the known world. Though they certainly do have some stellar blends that are not Burley based.

On their website, C&D offers a Trial Pack, (5 blends, 2 ounces each, you pick'em, including premium blends - pressed, too, if it's available) for $31.00, or 8 blends for $40.00 plus S&H. The trial pack may include C&D tinned tobaccos, GL Pease tins, Two Friends blends, and Hermit Capt. Earle blends but the sample will be 1 ounce.

Plenty to pick from for sure, but I wouldn't leave home without packing some of the following:

1) Night Train
2) Exhausted Rooster
3) Burley Flake #1 or #2
4) Billy Budd
5) Epiphany

For #'s 6 - 8 I'll let others add thier favorites! SO many to pick from.

My take on #6 - 8:

6. Old Joe Krantz
7. Haunted Bookshop
8. Bayou Morning

Hey all-

Thanks so much for the input thus far- really helpful.

Adding Old Gowrie. Adding Silver Flake and dropping Virginia Flake, ABF stays since I'm really interested in it for some reason. Dropping Christmas 2010 (a lot of Vas atm) and replacing with Frog Morton and St. James Woods.

As far as C&D, I think I'm either going to pick up the Virginia or English sampler (really out of pure ease for this first order) from smokingpipes. I'm leaning towards the English atm.