Tobacco meant for X pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momus

Reaction score
Briar inputs taste to the tobacco. I know a lot of people would argue that a meer pipe (and for some a cob) allow one to taste the tobacco the way the blender meant it to be tasted. But, since blenders have to smoke the stuff to get a value on its taste, and they puff it out of a pipe, the type of pipe they use will change how they perceive the flavor (unless they use a meer, I suppose). My basic question is do blenders tailor blends to a certain type of pipe (I assume briar).
Since briars are the most common types of pipes, it may stand to reason that blenders blend their tobaccos with briars in mind. Maybe a lot of English blends, for example, are blended with a briar pipe in mind?
I don't know jack about blending tobacco, does anyone knows if any blender considers this? Or perhaps it is a mute point since they probably smoke the stuff out of a briar anyway. In the end this could be the beer glass conspiracy (that certain beer glasses affect the taste of a certain styles of beer).

Well, since I smoke corncobs 95% of the time, all of my blends were developed using first, a new Pride, then a well-used Diplomat, and lastly, a briar. And I do feel that several of my blends are best when smkoed in a properly cared for and cleaned cob.

momus":4w90ut2t said:
I know a lot of people would argue that a meer pipe (and for some a cob) allow one to taste the tobacco the way the blender meant it to be tasted.
They would? Meerschaums definitely colour tobacco, though they generally do so very favourably. It's clays that don't colour the taste and what blenders allegely test-run their creations in.

Don't know about cobs.

Well I don't know that anyone tastes the same flavors in a blend anyway. Take a look at tobacco reviews,,,,thirty different takes on each blend,,and everyone smoking various briar/meer/clay/whathaveyou. I'm guessing the blender pleases his own palate and offers it to the public in hopes of hitting a home run.

I agree that cobs provide arguably the best smoke attainable...in blends that suit them. And yes, among those blends exist about the best that are available...Made by the King of the Cob himself. Just try some 'StormFront' in a cob and you'll likey concede the point.

I'm just lollygagging around these parts waitin' for word on when John's myriad of non 4-N blends will finally become available...as per various wild stories.

Blackhorse":2rxvard5 said:
I'm just lollygagging around these parts waitin' for word on when John's myriad of non 4-N blends will finally become available...as per various wild stories.
It's really going to happen eventually, it's just going to take a lot longer than I have been told at first.