Tobacco order on a hot tin roof

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadrack

Reaction score
Hey guys. Long time reader first time poster here. Just a quick question about a very large tobacco order I received on the hottest day of the summer. It was 93 out that day and the package was proabably sitting on my porch for a good 3-4 hours in the baking sun. Needless to say when I got home from work and opened it up, all the tins were really hot. So I'm wondering how much damage, if any, was done. Included in the order was a 1998 tin of MC Christmas Cheer that is starting to expand as it is a bit rounded out on the top. None of the other tins were like this so it might have been fermenting and puffing out long beforehand. In any case, a lot of these tins were meant for cellaring so I'm curious to the consensus on if there is any damage done. :x

I don't know if I'd call it damage, indeed some beneficial 'stoving' may have occurred. Several years ago there was some very serious threads flying around ASP newsgroup about 'home stoving' of tinned tobaccos in the oven. Doubtless some changes have taken place in some tins, especially those of high VA content -- I have doubts that anything has been 'ruined'. The McC's 1998 Christmas Cheer may well have been either bulging already or the 'stoving' encouraged it.

Were I you, I'd indelibly mark the tins (all of them) with a way to identify that they are indeed of this shipment, so that any changes over other samples of the same blends NOT effected by this mishap/windfall might be noted.

I wish you the best with this -- the results should be interesting, report back to us please?

:pipe:

Ah good point about the home stoving. It very well could change for the better. I remember back in college, before I knew better about such things, I left a tin of Dunhill Standard Mix in the glove box of my car which I slowly smoked over July/Aug one year. Wouldn't you know it, I swear it got more interesting and tasty with each bowl.

That's a great idea to mark all of them for future ref. Now I can order some doubles, which are hopefully delivered on a cooler day, and conduct an experiment of sorts to see if there are any differences between the tins the long run. I'll tell you that two of the tins I've popped so far (GL Pease Westminster, MC Tudor Castle) have been good.

Thanks for advice. :D