Tobacco Pouch Versatility

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Can one actually use the same tobacco pouch for different tobaccos? Should there be a simple rule of thumb, like don't mix Heavy Lats with anything else, but Va's and VaPers are fine with the odd aromatic (not heavily cased or "goopy)?

I'm a guy who dedicates pipes to blends, so maybe I've answered my own question.

I've never really thought about it, but apparently I subconsciously believe that whatever you stuff in the pouch will overwhelm any residual scent or flavorings. Now that I think about it, the belief remains. I'm not that particular anyhow, as the tobacco carried in a pouch is meant just for "going out," and is carried just to have tobacco on hand. Any tobacco. My tendency is toward aromatics, for the sake of civilians encountered, so the issue is somewhat moot.

In all the years I've used a roll-up pouch, I've not found that it really makes any difference what you put in except that you need to thoroughly remove any shregs of the previous blend/mixture that was in it before putting a different blend/mixture in. Since I mostly smoke straight Red Va's I've not found any "problems" for me. I don't usually smoke English/Balkans when out and about which is when I usually use it so really have not much experience in that direction. :twisted: :twisted:

Interesting question, smoker13. I've just bought a new pouch to haul my kit to pipe club meets, so I'm sure it will have different blends in it over time.

I may be out on a limb here, but one might think that the rubber lining of the pouch ought to be impermeable and thus also non-absorptive?

I put the tobacco in short ziplocks before putting them in the pouch. Currently carrying a ziplock of Stonehaven and a ziplock of Frog Morton simultaneously.

I have a VaPer pouch, a Latakia pouch, and a 'home made' pouch, and last, but not least, a dedicated McClelland's pouch. I think scent can bleed into liners easier than pipes, so, well, maybe I'm being overly cautious, but sometimes my stuff lives in their pouches for a while....

Of course, when I know I'm going into mixed company, I have a snack sized Ziplock with an Aro, and a dedicated pipe. You know, just in case...............

I'm right there with you, Wizard. Shortly after posting my question and giving it a good deal of thought I recently ordered 6 pouches/rolls just to make sure I'll be covered.

Actually, I had a pouch from way back when I never used. I put a meager amount of Frog Morton in it about a month before posting, enough for 3 pipe-fulls and had about a pipe's worth left about a week afterwards. I dumped it and a week later the smell inside was like it was filled with Frog Morton, so I had my answer.

smoker13":8py5uarz said:
I'm right there with you, Wizard.  Shortly after posting my question and giving it a good deal of thought I recently ordered 6 pouches/rolls just to make sure I'll be covered.  

Actually, I had a pouch from way back when I never used.  I put a meager amount of Frog Morton in it about a month before posting, enough for 3 pipe-fulls and had about a pipe's worth left about a week afterwards.  I dumped it and a week later the smell inside was like it was filled with Frog Morton, so I had my answer.  
Indeed, that Latakia will ghost worse than a Lakeland, in my opinion. Flowers I can ignore, burnt meat I just can't.....