Tobacco pouch

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey-smokey

Reaction score
Guys,
Wondering if you can recommend a tobacco pouch (for tobacco only, not a pipe/tobacco combo) that is compact and keeps the tobacco at a decent moisture level for more than a day.

I have tried a couple (A roll up and a leather one with a zipper) but my tobacco seems to dry incredibly fast. I have tried those pouch moistener things but don't like them.

Basically, I'm just looking for something that will hold an ounce or so and is easy to stick in my pocket.

HAve you had any good luck with pouches? can you make a good recommendation?

I got a Grabow pouch from P&C. It seemed to do fine by me. Its a pleather with zipper but has a liner. I paid $5.00 for it.

Shirts and jackets with bigger pockets.  :mrgreen: 

how about a plastic snuff can? ya know once it is good and cleaned out that it
is

I really like my Columbus Tobacco Pouch I bought from smokingpipes.com. It is a great size, and is really well priced under $20. I don't think it will do a very good job keeping your tobacco moist/humid. But I don't think pouches like that exist. Personally, I fill the pouch in the morning, and what isn't smoked by the end of the day gets put back in the mason jar. I have never had an issue with tobacco becoming overly dry using this technique.

Northern Neil":jkek09jd said:
I really like my Columbus Tobacco Pouch I bought from smokingpipes.com. It is a great size, and is really well priced under $20.  I don't think it will do a very good job keeping your tobacco moist/humid. But I don't think pouches like that exist. Personally, I fill the pouch in the morning, and what isn't smoked by the end of the day gets put back in the mason jar. I have never had an issue with tobacco becoming overly dry using this technique.
THAT's what I do when I use my pouch as well ! it's only used to carry the 'bac while away from the house. I bought this one to replace my worn out 40 yo Dunhill roll-up recently and find it just PERFECT when used this way.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=129029

I really like the look of these,

[url=http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=2822]http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=2822 [/url]

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=138617

The first is a brebbia brand pouch, the second is 5$ cheaper if you'd like to save that 5$.

I can't argue for either one other than aesthetics, but you don't really want to keep your tobacco in a pouch for more than a day or two anyway. They're not really meant for that.

The ony advice I can give is keep away from cheap pouches on ebay. I bought a chinese made combo pouch (savinelli knockoff) and the zipper part to hold your pipe broke in about 2 weeks just from zipping/unzipping! The tobacco pouch part is polyurethane and keeps the tobacco just fine for a full day though. Probably more, but I've never needed it to last me more than 24 hours.

Hey Smokey,
As a maker of pouches, I can tell you that the results I've had in trying to come up with the perfect lining to keep tobacco fresh has been very mixed and depends on a few variables.  The main variable, however, in how long tobacco will stay fresh in a pouch, is the tobacco itself.  Are you putting in different tobaccos? or are you using just one, mainstay tobacco that keeps drying out?  If so, which tobacco is that?

I have found that the best lining to keep tobacco freshest, the longest, is a clear, thin, vinyl that I actually attach to the leather itself.  It will keep most tobaccos moist for at least a few days.  I say, most, because some tobaccos, no matter what you do, will just dry out no matter what, unless you smoke them in a day's time.  

In general, Aros, of course, seem to stay "freshest" the longest (I'm talking about decent quality aromatics, not the super goopy kind, which never dry out).  Burleys and straight Virginias seem to dry out the quickest.  And many English blends will have mixed results, depending on the blender and the cut, (McClelland blends seem to do really well--esp. any of the Frog Morton blends, Dunhill blends seem to dry out if you just look at them, but, ribbon cut blends, in general, don't do all that well because the cut itself creates a lot of "air" in the blend).  

In other words, how moist a tobacco will stay in a pouch has less to do with the pouch and more to do with how moist the tobacco comes in its own tin.  The more moist in the tin, the longer it will last in the pouch.  

I often advise to put more tobacco (at least an ounce) in a pouch, so the more "space" is filled up in a pouch by tobacco (and not by air--which is the real enemy here).  The more tobacco, in general, you fill, the more it will "stick together" and feed off its own moisture.  Just remember to fill your pouch with more tobacco as you smoke so there are no dips in the pouch's humidity level.  An ounce or so, of say, ribbon tobacco, might seem bulky in a small, roll up pouch, but, if you press down on it and compact it (just like it comes in many cans) it will help to keep it fresh a bit longer.

So far, I have not found a pouch/liner combo (either of my own making or someone else's) that will keep tobacco fresh forever, but, if you're carrying around tobacco that you want to stay fresh forever, you're probably not smoking enough of it to justify carrying it around.  

P.S. I have also just started making leather roll up pouches with all leather linings.  This was how tobacco pouches were made in the days of the Civil War.  So far, the results are pretty good, but, again, unless you're walking around with a mason jar, your tobacco is really the deciding factor in how fresh it will stay for how long.  Hope that helps.

I know I'm a bit late on this post. I'm looking for a nice pipe and tobacco pouch. I've seen a few leather ones like the ones posted here and am really tempted to go that route.

Are there any other photos out there of favorite pipe and tobacco pouches and where they can be had?

I used the Columbas two snap roll-up I got for awhile but it never really "rolled up" like I wanted so when I found this La Rocca pouch at Milan Tobacconists in my fav leather color , BROWN. I snapped one up !! I got the one they sell without the cleaner pocket as it rolls better, It's soft pliable leather with a nice latex lining which keeps my 'baccy at the right moisture level i like. It will hold 1 oz of 'baccy which is enough for a couple of days so it works perfectly for me !

I have a suede peterson that does hold pipes and such. I got it off smokingpipes for under 50$. It has a latex lining I think. It keeps it fresh for more than a day so long as you don't keep it open to long while packing. I use ribbon cut in it mostly, and have gotten down the ole' dip in the pouch technique pretty well. Anyway, you may want to do some careful research when buying these things online, smokingpipes.com usually has good write ups on materials and such.