Tobacco Pouches

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pan1k

Reaction score
Hey all..

I have a question about tobacco pouches. I don't smoke everyday but I keep a pipe with me at all times. How long will pipe tobacco stay fresh in one of the latex lined pouches, or is it just better in a ziploc bag? I don't want to waste my tobacco or have it get too dry.

Thanks..

Heavy gauge ziplok rolled up. Even then, use it quick. Once it's out of the tin/jar, you're keeping the moisture in, but leaking other stuff.

:face:

pan1k":j6qxaezn said:
Hey all..

I have a question about tobacco pouches. I don't smoke everyday but I keep a pipe with me at all times. How long will pipe tobacco stay fresh in one of the latex lined pouches, or is it just better in a ziploc bag? I don't want to waste my tobacco or have it get too dry.

Thanks..
A good way to preserve it a bit longer is to just add one of those coin sized humidifier into it. Otherwise, a week is about as far as it will go.

Ziplock is probably better, but a proper pouch is without a doubt classier.

I've had a few tobacco pouches. Most don't keep the tobacco moist, in fact it dries out rather quickly. One exeption though, the Peterson Box Pouch. I can put tobacco in it and 2 weeks later it's still in perfect condition. The link below is to the red lined pouch, mine is the green Avoca series, but it's the same thing. These are, IMHO, perfect.

http://www.4noggins.com/Peterson2PIPELEATHERCOMBINATIONPOUCH-1-1-1.aspx

image16.jpg

I have had a couple of leather ones. What I ended up liking is those yellow oil-clothish ones with a sifter. Unless you carry a man-purse or -- god forbid -- a fanny pack, the tobacco in it is going to take a beating. Carry as much as you think you'll need for the day. If you carry too much and have it in the hip pocket, you'll quickly see the advantage/reason for the sifter -- crumb city.

If you keep the minimum on board, you won't have moisture problems or whatever taint comes along.

Thanks for your suggestions!! Yes, I have quite a few tobacco pouches, I carry a backpack with me so it's no problem to have a ziplock baggie. The leather is certainly more classier! Ziplock is more frugal, I get 18 baggies for a few bucks! :lol:

I use Mac Baren's zip pouch. Like the others, you've got about a week, then it will start assuming ambient moisture. I think I might opt for a folding version next time, I keep thinking "i winder when this zipper is going to fail?".

Oh yeah, flexible pouch = crumbs. I'd seriously consider something with some rigidity. Tape cardboard to your ziplock bags! :)

I've used a leather roll-up pouch for as long as I've smoked a pipe ( a few years now :twisted: ) I bought a quality leather with rubber lining ( a Dunhill back when they were not priced out of my range) and now after several decades I'm looking to get another.( not Dunhill though :twisted: ) I only put one or two bowls ( more if I'll use it on a trip for a few days) in it when I leave the house and don't store 'bac in it when at home. The rubber lined ones when rolled tightly will keep my 'bac smokeable for 3 to 5 days at most. I usually slip it into my back pocket of my jeans and the body heat from my butt seems to help keep the 'bac smokeable more than when I put it in a jacket pocket. Just my experience :twisted:

I have to admit, I get a lot of crap from other pipesters around here for being a ziploc baggie kind of guy. I portion out a day or two worth of tobacco (depending on what I'm doing) and try to put back into the jar whatever I don't use. I then put those in whatever compartment of the pipe case I use. It works. Classy, no...but in dry Nevada, pouches are next to useless, unless it's propylene glycol infused aromatics. :pale: :lol:

8)

I've used an old Comoy pouch with a zippered top (actually 2 of them) and the tobacco seems to stay just fine for 2-3 days at a time. They are leather with a vinyl lining inside and both have a "lip" inside that closes together and seals the pouch. Good luck with either baggy or pouch.

With my "hoarder" mentality it's hard for me let go of anything I might find use for down the road. I like small tins and several years ago I bought a few tins of Altoids Sours. These tins are about two and a half inches round, an inch high and they open by pressing one side of the lid. They aren't 100% air tight but I can rub out a few flakes, put the "rubs" in one of these tins and they stay moist for at least a month. I carry the tins in an old tobacco pouch and I get about four bowls out of each tin (plus I have the choice of two different tobaccos). I wouldn't put this pouch in my hip pocket but it is portable. I use several of these tins to keep my current rotation in smaller portions so I don't have to keep going back into the cellar jars.

After taking stock of my driving habits while smoking I've opted to smoke only in my house. I live alone and the cat doesn't mind:). When I used to smoke on breaks, etc., I carried my tobacco in a jelly jar. I had a small camera case and tobacco/jar and pipe fit just fine. That way moisture and those tasty emphemerals, the volatile oils, always stayed in the jar.

I have several pouches, they tend to work maybe a week before drying out. I'll rehydrate in my humidor, or store there overnight to rehydrate. Probably best to put in a ziplock. Heck, put the ziplock in the pouch if you want to be formal.

--Alex

Recently, I have decided to stop carrying my tobacco in my Wunup Baccyflap, unless I am staying somewhere overnight.

Instead, I like to allow my tocacco to dry out in a bowl. Sometimes I speed up the process by putting it in front of a fan on low speed. Once it is as dry as I like, I then load the pipe and wrap it up with seran wrap or a similar cling wrap. Then I just slide the pipe into my pipe sock, and I'm ready for the road. I get a better performing pipe this way, and I find myself smoking flake tobacco more often.

Before I started doing this, I only smoked ribbon cuts and ready rubbed when I was away from home, due to the added prep needed for flakes. Best of all, flakes can provide a much longer smoke, which is really nice when I am away from home.

I use a ziploc (heavy gauge, from a pipe shop) for several day storage. I'm on the road for a week now, vacation. I just filled two tins with tobacco and brought two ziplocs for day use.

Seem to remember my late Pap had a roll up pouch. Leather outside. Some kind of yellowish plastic on the inside.

Dunno much more about it than that. But apparently it served him OK.

Me, I have zippered leather pouch but have never actually used it. Don't think I ever will. Can't think of an occasion where I'll want to smoke the same blend all day if I'm out and about.

<shrug>

Cheers,

RR

monbla256":ci4ox5ao said:
I usually slip it into my back pocket of my jeans and the body heat from my butt seems to help keep the 'bac smokeable...
Are you sure it's just body heat? :p

Carry a pouch of Prince Albert or Carter Hall. The pouch is $3-$5, tobacco included, and it never gets dry.

Just a thought. :D

HCraven":nozq4o8e said:
Carry a pouch of Prince Albert or Carter Hall. The pouch is $3-$5, tobacco included, and it never gets dry.

Just a thought. :D
Haha! I actually reuse my last CH pouch for other tobaccos. Once you twist the top a few times, good luck getting the extra air out. They stay pretty airtight for a few day's stash.

We klassy. :)

I have a couple latex lined roll-up leather tobacco pouches. I don't carry them too often because the tobacco dries out quick. Anymore, I put the tobacco in a ziploc then put it in the pouch since the pouch is a bit sturdier (and looks much cooler.) :D I don't typically carry more than what I will use in a day or two's time. In most situations I just carry the mason jar or tin the tobacco is in.