Tobacco Shreds caught In the Stem Sour The Smoke!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzman34653

Reaction score
No matter how i pack my pipe sooner or later I get a shred of tobacco that sneaks its way into the stem and sours the smoke. I have tried various methods to avoid this. Sometimes I pack the beginning of the packing down sometimes I try not to do so. Sometimes I find that the draft hole particularly on New Pipes is too large and with repetitive smoking it gets smaller. I think that has a lot to do with the shreds sneaking into the stem. Running a rough pipe cleaner doesn't always catch the shred. I have tried the "Frank" method as well but that doesn't seem to correct the problem. I would like your thoughts collectively on this.

Typically when this happens I run a pipe cleaner through to push the piece or shred of tobacco back into the bowl then lightly tamp, relight and smoke on. I do have a few full bent pipes that wont allow a cleaner through, then I just have to live with it.

I understand your problem completely, I also have one pipe that this happens to regularly. This may sound a little crazy, but it works for me. Before you load the bowl, push a pipe cleaner through the stem and into the bowl until you can just see the cleaner in the bowl. Load the bowl like normal, then slowly pull out the cleaner and fire up. Hope this helps . :)

Bill

Thanks for the help. I will follow your advice! it's great to know that there is a place to go where fellow pipe smokers gather and can help you when you need such help! :pipe: