Tobacco storage, keeping your collection safe.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.A.

Reaction score
I discovered some of my tins had rusted bottons inside tobacco stuck to them, After a google search on that issue it took me to a post here in BoB that adressed an issue with tins of tobacco and rust,

It was an older post, Seems a few other folks with other brands had had some similar issues, but it got me thinking what would be the best way to avoid the problem,

Remove all newley purchased tobacco from tins that could potentially rust and store in glass jars? That seems a solution but you lose the original seal and container. Which may not be an issue for consumption but would be for resale or trading.

Now some brands like C&D come in aluminum containers. I'm thinking they will last a really long time with no issues. Now products like W.O Larsen and Erimore etc with metalic tins the tobacco is separated by some paper like lining they will do OK but has some rust potential. And Sutliff direct tobacco to metal contact which was where my issue was.

Thanks,

So I decided all direct tobacco to rust potential metal has to be transfered to glass, My collection is small and in the early stages so not a big deal. But as I add other brands in the tinned containers I am considering the paperlined tins as to what could be done and if nothing is done what will be the outcome.

Has anyone with more tinned tobacco found a way to combat the rust potential? I considered using a Food Saver and vaccume bagging/packing the tins in hope to prevent rust as well as preserve the original container. To age something for years only to open it and find the tobacco corrupted by rust would be a great loss

Most likely I will only consume what I collect the original container is not as much of an issue, but the lose of the original seal and if that is a major or minor issue Any thoughts on breaking a original seal to preserve product for the long haul or take chance on rust?

I store the containers in a closet inside a small chest of drawers so temp and sunlight is not an issue. I may be overly concerned but I would like to start my collection doing things as best as I can, I would rather learn by getting some good advice as opposed to the hard lesson of doing it wrong.

I have a large collection in jars and tins. There is a chance that some small percentage of the tins will have rust or faulty seals as time goes by - just the chance you take.

From my readings here I think it's safe to say that most will say - when in doubt, jar it.

Certain tins are famous for rust (peretti's paint cans for one) and should be jarred as a matter of course.

I have a large collection of tins and bulk. When we built our house one of the spare closets was turned into a tobacco cellar and I have a di-humidifier in it if it gets to humid. But in most cases I think your tins are safe unless its really warm and damp. Just my opinion.