Tobacco strength Vs nicotine content

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnrust

Reaction score
I must be a wimp.

Preface. I have a 15 pipe rotation. 2 pipes are dedicated to JKP & 2 to Triple Play. I've cut down to one pipe a day after dinner, but I smoke two bowls consecutively out of that pipe. So every 15 days, I smoke 2 bowls of JKP and 2 TP. While I consider both these weeds to be full bodied, I do not find them strong in vitamin N. The other 11 days see FVF, SJF, Opening Night, Embarcadero, CDF, Union Square, and a little Stonehaven.

Fast forward to present. With the C&D sale at P&C's, I decided to order some new tobacco. chenet's Cake, Bayou Morning Flake, & 5' O Clock Shadow were ordered. Whoa! These are loaded with vitamin N! Two bowls of any, and my head is swimming. Love the BMF & 5'O, but jury is still out in Chenet. Taste like peppered burly, to me.

Oddly, on Tobacco Reviews.com, all 3 seem to be ranked lower than the Pease weeds in strength. So I guess as far as the reviews go, strength does not = N.  Or I'm just a wuss.

I think some tobaccos just hit you. For me, GH Dark Flake, Tambolaka, Irish Flake are all very tolerable in the N department. Dunhill Royal Yacht, on the other hand, kicks my butt every single time. You'd think an all Virginia blend like RY would be relatively mild, but that's definitely not the case. I think there are other factors that go into how much nicotine you absorb into your system. Maybe the fine ribbon cut of RY makes it more concentrated, where a folded or cubed flake tends to be more carbeurated, since it's more loosely packed. Who knows.

Technically, if you read the fine print, which I don't think many reviewers do, the strength rating on TR.com is supposed to represent a combination of flavor strength and nicotine strength. For example, I put a review up of the recent incarnation of Dunhill EMP. I found it to be med-strong in nicotine yet more of a mild-medium in flavor strength, so I gave it an overall strength rating of medium even though by bowl's end that mixture had me  feeling pretty woozy.

Various tobaccos affect folks differently, so who's to say why those C&D blends weren't rated higher. For a true gauge on strength, obviously it's always best to try something for yourself. If you can't but you're curious, at the very least look for reviews from a handful of the folks that smoke a lot of tobacco - (Pipestud, JimInks, DK...etc.).

fishnrust":xe1nitpq said:
I must be a wimp.

Preface. I have a 15 pipe rotation. 2 pipes are dedicated to JKP & 2 to Triple Play. I've cut down to one pipe a day after dinner, but I smoke two bowls consecutively out of that pipe. So every 15 days, I smoke 2 bowls of JKP and 2 TP. While I consider both these weeds to be full bodied, I do not find them strong in vitamin N. The other 11 days see FVF, SJF, Opening Night, Embarcadero, CDF, Union Square, and a little Stonehaven.

Fast forward to present. With the C&D sale at P&C's, I decided to order some new tobacco. chenet's Cake, Bayou Morning Flake, & 5' O Clock Shadow were ordered. Whoa! These are loaded with vitamin N! Two bowls of any, and my head is swimming. Love the BMF & 5'O, but jury is still out in Chenet. Taste like peppered burly, to me.

Oddly, on Tobacco Reviews.com, all 3 seem to be ranked lower than the Pease weeds in strength. So I guess as far as the reviews go, strength does not = N.  Or I'm just a wuss.
First off NOT being able to stomach a heavy dose of Lady'N' does NOT mean ones a WIMP!! Some folks systems just don't tolerate much. Having been a cig smoker along with pipes for several decades, my system has been subject to LOTS of Lady'N' ( I used to smoke unfiltered Pall Malls :twisted: ) and I've not found many pipe blends to be all that strong nic wise. I will say though that I've found two of Dunhills blends to have ALWAYS been strong Lady'N' wise, Nightcap with Royal Yacht being the strongest. But I usually have one to two bowls of RY daily without much effect. Doesn't mean I'm not a wimp, my system just processes Lady'N'' differently ! Different strokes for different folks !!! :twisted: :twisted:

This very situation is happening to me at the moment. I love the taste of Irish Flake, in fact it's one of the tastiest I've tried, but I have to limit myself to half bowls just to stay on my feet. Lady "N" can knock me over if I'm not careful.

I've frequently found that smoking on an empty stomach can lead to getting wound up by Lady N, even with a blend that isn't normally known to be very strong in that dept.

As an example, OGS can and does affect me negatively if I haven't eaten for a while. And that's a relatively mild flavored flake, which I enjoy a lot in the morning on a fresh palate.

Don't particularly enjoy the nic effects when they wind me up. Never smoked cigs so I probably have a low tolerance anyway.

All to say just about any blend can affect me under the right circumstances. Nothing to do with being a wimp!

:scratch:

Cheers,

RR

I have a dim memory that the way a tobacco is cured has some effect on how the nicotine is absorbed. It might have been a pH thing. The example I remember was that nicotine from cigarettes is readily absorbed by the lungs, but not so much in the oral cavity. Cigar smoke on the other hand can give a solid dose of nicotine through the oral linings without being inhaled into the lungs. So all the curing, pressing, topping, etc. that pipe tobacco goes through combined with individual body chemistry could cause significant variations in how much nicotine a given varitey of leaf might provide. But I agree 100% with Monbla on the wimp thing. Pipe smoking is about a lot more than nicotine, and if a blend doesn't agree with you for any reason, then its just not for you.
Mike.

Yes, Even after being a Camel non-filter smoker for 45 years I find my first bowl of Escudo to give me a bit of a buzz in the morning and I haven't eaten breakfast at breakfast time since I was 10, so....... And Stonehaven.........what Nic? Elizabethan is pretty high in Nic as far as I'm concerned but, of course I do still inhale about half of what I smoke, just what's remaining of the old cig addiction or should I say Nic addiction.

Funny, two weeds mentioned above, have also thrown me for a lupe in the past. Both OGS & Stonehaven rocked me when I had them for a late brunch in triple digit heat, with no food in my system since the previous nights dinner. I too, used to smoke Camels/Palmal reds/Drum before moving onto cigars, then finally pipes. I figured a little pipe tobacco could never hurt me. HA! I turned an unnatural shade of green.

The last 3 nights I have tangoed w/BMF with no ill effects. It's too tasty to stay away from. Though last night I did only smoke one bowl instead of two, the pipe was huge. Tonight's smoke is 5'Oclock in a medium size autograph 5. I'm about 3/4 through, but may have to limit myself to just one bowl......