Tobacco suggestions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhenderson

Reaction score
I'm going to the Raleigh pipe show in a few weeks and I hope to pick up some different tobaccos to try. I currently only smoke dunhill 965 and a mild lat English blend from smokies in Knoxville. I also enjoy a bowl of nightcap every now and then. Anybody have any suggestions to anything similar to look for? I would be up for suggestions on something completely different to try if you know of something that is really good.

Nearly any of the G. L. Pease English-style mixtures should fit your bill. Check his descriptions of them out at Tobacco Reviews or at his blog.

They fully rise to the level your "really good" qualifier seeks.

:face:

I will look into those. I have a can of meridian that I won at the Richmond show last year. I just put it up and forgot about it. Might have to try that this evening.

Alongside the Pease stuff don't forget to check out the English/Balkan offerings from those "ketchup" guys in KC, McClellands :twisted: Alongside their superaltive Va offerings, they make some English
/balkan mixture egual if not better to none. :p

Jhenderson":mpozwaqg said:
I have a can of meridian that I won at the Richmond show last year.
Meridian is really nice, & I was going to suggest that or Sam Gawith Skiff Mixture which has grown on me quite a bit lately.

For a full mixture, GLP Odyssey is excellent.

In the McClelland realm Blue Mountain, Wilderness, and British Woods are ones that I would buy again. However I feel that McClelland's version of a "Full" Latakia blend, is more like a Medium when compared to other brands (GLP, S Gawith, C&D). This however does have its advantages. :D

I will be there as well! I live just south of Raleigh.

I got to try Seattle's Pipe Club Plum Pudding at the CORPS show last year and loved it. I'm a Dunhill tobac fan as well and enjoy EMB, LM, and Nightcap. Also at the The Vault in Apex I met another pipe smoker and I passed around the Plum Pudding and he passed around the Mississippi River from S.P.C.. Very good stuff. Adding that to my next order.

Look forward to the show!

Looks like I have some reviews to look at tonight. I've got a decent pipe collection going now and I need to stock up on some tobacco while its still affordable and easy to get.

If they have them there and you've yet to try, give some of the Gawith & Hoggarth blends a try. I love "Lakeland" blends, but it took me about 8 yrs till I tried one. You may love it or hate it, but at least you'll know.

Best,
BB

I've seen people mention Lakeland a lot on here. Is there a specific blend that stands out from the rest?

@geoffc
I am looking forward to the show myself. We will get there when the doors open and we'll be there most of the day so maybe we'll run into each other at some point.

Jhenderson":knbb7htf said:
I've seen people mention Lakeland a lot on here. Is there a specific blend that stands out from the rest?
For your reading pleasure - https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t17160-lakeland-lovers-unite?highlight=lakeland

Thanks for the link. Doesn't seem like something I would enjoy. I won't rule it out though. It could be good.

I think I have disappointed yak. My first day on BoB is already headed for disaster. :( oh well, had to happen sooner or later. :lol!:

Jhenderson":qaw6mov1 said:
I think I have disappointed yak. My first day on BoB is already headed for disaster. :( oh well, had to happen sooner or later. :lol!:
Oh well . At least your nose is not brown :twisted: :twisted: No big deal really, he's just one of the "old farts" like me :twisted:

Back to tobacco... I tried the meridian and its pretty good. It's got good flavor and its not too strong. I've smoked some tobaccos that I liked but I could only smoke a half a bowl before I had to put it down.

Ever seen the TV gross-out program where the guy goes all over the world to out of the way places and eats the stuff people eat there -- bugs and worms and rotten fish & monkey brains & stuff like that ?

Well, there's much of your "Lakeland tobacco" genre.

Like 1792 ("universally known as "Dead Mouse in a Tin").

Outside of the straight stuff like BBF & FVF, most of it must definitely an acquired taste. Same as lightly singed spiders & wasp larvae must be.

:face:

I've seen the show a time or two. Dead mouse? I guess it's like sardines. Tastes good but smells terrible. I might have to get a tin of it just to see if it really smells that bad. Of course I'll have to find some spiders to eat and get some tequila with the worm in the bottle. I want a well rounded experience after all.

Jhenderson":jfyd1vsq said:
Thanks for the link. Doesn't seem like something I would enjoy. I won't rule it out though. It could be good.
The description of Lakelands made me feel uneasy as well. But there is a WORLD of difference once you can vouche for yourself. I personally love them (in fact I'll be ordering more very soon) ex. Rum Flake, Bosun Cut Plug, and Louisiana Perique (the ONLY perique I will have thanks to the Lakeland touch)

I'm simply suggesting that you give it a few bowls and decide on your own.

I think it's the "floral" part that gets me. Everybody says that in their description. Doesn't sound that great. So far I haven't found a perique blend that I can smoke regularly.