Tobacco tax for out of state orders

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodootsk

Reaction score
Someone told me that if you order from some online retailers they report it to the state you live in. If you do not pay the state tobacco tax you can get nailed for not paying taxes. Has anyone heard of this? What stores do not report it to the state you live in.

I have ordered 99.999 % of my tobacco and cigars from out-of-state for 15 years or more, and have NEVER paid tax, nor has my state of residence ever sent me a query, etc.

As far as I know there are only a few states which are prohibiting mail order tobacco purchases at this point. I'm not aware of any laws to impose state tax on out of state orders either. I could be wrong (and often am when it comes to tobacco legislation) but all my latest orders have still been tax free.

I order from the usual suspects:

Smokingpipes
Cup o' Joes
Mars
4 Noggins
etc

I have a coworker who was audited specifically for out-of-state purchases from online retailers. This was not tobacco related, but it is possible to get audited if your state has an "honor" tax for out-of-state purchases. Of course, paying your state's sales tax will be trivial compared to the potential for tobacco parity tax... that cost will be built into the sales side, and we'll all be hit hard.