Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Today I spoke with a powerful source in the world of pipe tobacco who shall remain nameless. I was inquiring to him weather or not I should invest very heavily in pipe tobacco to further expand my cellar in the face of the possible tobacco tax increase. He said that this bill in his opinion won't pass easily if at all and that we have a good bit of time before it ever could. His advice to me and everyone was to "relax"a bit. There's a poweful lobbyist and some deep pocketed folks working on our side. If worse came to worse we'd be talking about an extra $5.00 on a $10.00 tin. Unless you smoke an ungodly amount of tobacco or are destitute in a most serious way it won't affect you greatly anyway.....

Carlos":z4nlm98r said:
Now you tell me after I spent nearly a grand on cellar expansion.
I was ready to do the exact the same thing today :lol: Too funny! I very well might still do it but we've got some time yet...

ftrplt":p97dw4eo said:
DPG.....I sure hope you meant 50 cents on a $10.00 tin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FTRPLT
It would amount to about $5.00 on a $10.00 tin as I understand it but that's an absolute worse case scenario.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":d6q2r1nk said:
Carlos":d6q2r1nk said:
I was ready to do the exact the same thing today :lol: Too funny! I very well might still do it but we've got some time yet...

Aw well. I saved a few bucks. :D

$5.00 is peanuts
icon_wink.gif

I just looked up the Alberta taxes and it is as follows;

50g tin ... $23.04
2oz tin ... $28.08
1 lb ... $171.45

icon_twisted.gif

Then there's the cost of the tobacco
icon_eek.gif

Carlos":hcnfy5wc said:
It is still money well spent.....Tobacco will only go up....never down....

Hey SlowPuffs,

I paid $39 for a tin of Club Blend. But you're right - $25 for 50gr is about normal in Ontario too. When I order from the US I save 4x on some tobaccos. Even if I get tagged at customs I still save 2x at least.

The way I see it, it doesn't hurt to stock up now. The tobacco is only going to get better, or at least not worse, as it ages. As prices and taxes naturally go up over time, I can't see how it's a bad investment.

Now, there's a difference between prudently stocking up and panic buying. I like to think my behavior falls somewhere in between, but closer to the former.

But hey, by all means leave some good stuff in stock for me!

-Andrew

stoked":70k1k67r said:
Hey SlowPuffs,

I paid $39 for a tin of Club Blend. But you're right - $25 for 50gr is about normal in Ontario too. When I order from the US I save 4x on some tobaccos. Even if I get tagged at customs I still save 2x at least.
Alberta has one of the highest baccy taxes... however, I looked up 100gr for Ontario, its 12.35 now but will be 23.89 beginning July 1, 2010...

Danish_Pipe_Guy":rljjk5fn said:
It would amount to about $5.00 on a $10.00 tin as I understand it but that's an absolute worse case scenario.
That would be a 50% increase in the price! That's a significant increase by any measure. :x

1 lb ... $171.45
I've been in Burlington on Whyte when someone has bought a pound of tobacco from Chris...it's damn cool. But then he gets to the register and... :shock:

I've also seen a guy buy a box of La Aurora something-or-other for 500ish bucks. I almost died. I wish I could afford to smoke that much!!! :D

Its an interesting concept actually..

Slowly add tax until only the wealthy can afford it... Then use the justification that its a wealthy mans hobby and they can afford higher taxation..

IF you take ALL the taxes off a tin of tobacco the actual cost of a Pease tin is probably less than $1. The Government taxes the property its grown on, taxes the seed, taxes the fuel and the vehicle used to go secure the seed, taxes the fertilizer, taxes the fuel and vehicle used to go secure the fertilizer, taxes the tractor, the fuel used in the tractor, taxes the labor used to harvest the tobacco, taxes the axes and poles used to harvest the tobacco, taxes the barn the tobacco is hung in, taxes the baler and the baling chord used to bale the tobacco, taxes the vehicle and fuel used to carry said tobacco to sale, taxes the sale of the tobacco to the blender.. And on and frikkin on..

PB builds a darn fine picture of tax reality!! And now the idiots in DC are thinking about a "value" added tax on top of all the other taxes!!! FTRPLT

I don't understand the need for all these taxes, apparent in last years bank bailout the government can print all the money in needs. If the cost of tobacco gets to high we can always go over to Docks place for a smoke.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":0ysiakis said:
................ If worse came to worse we'd be talking about an extra $5.00 on a $10.00 tin. Unless you smoke an ungodly amount of tobacco or are destitute in a most serious way it won't affect you greatly anyway.....
A $5.00 hit on a $10.00 tin is still a pretty good hit IMHO. From what people who own shops here in Arizona have told me, the "hit" on bulk will be in the neighborhood of $25 a pound (the average cost of a pound of pipe tobacco runs around $32). So $57 a pound for what I currently pay $32 for. Another good hit IMHO. I hope you are right Dock and we win out on this one. I'm not destitute "yet", but this sure won't help matters any with everything else that is hitting me with todays economy. I was afraid this was going to rear its ugly head when a lot of the RYO tobacco blenders recut their tobacco and labeled it pipe tobacco. Just my thoughts.

While I am not in a "panic" mode, I am increasing the ol' cellar. At my tender age, 63 1/2, and smoking rate; I may have enough to get me to the crematorium!!! But I just put up another 11 pint jars of fine tobacco and have a list for more. Same for cigars!! Better safe than sorry. I just find the whole thing rediculous!!! No way did I ever imagine in the '60's that today I would not be able to walk into a nice B&M to pick up a tin of Dunhill Standard Full or BS 759!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: FTRPLT

ftrplt":qbklpj4x said:
...may have enough to get me to the crematorium!!!
When I get there, all my unsmoked baccy will pe placed in the casket alongside with my body. It will be the ultimate smoke! :D

Wet Dottle":wrridlj0 said:
ftrplt":wrridlj0 said:
...may have enough to get me to the crematorium!!!
When I get there, all my unsmoked baccy will pe placed in the casket alongside with my body. It will be the ultimate smoke! :D
Great idea
icon_biggrin.png