Tobacco Types and Blenders

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm_Crow

Reaction score
Do you match certain blending houses with certain tobacco types?

I ask because perhaps a year ago, the first non aromatic I really enjoyed came from McClelland; it was a VA.

I decided that I like VA tobacco, but avoided burleys since I associated them with cigarettes which I dislike, and latakia since the first lat blend I tried was a bomb.

Sampling VAs from other blending houses, I couldn't find one I liked. I became very disheartened with C&D for instance, finding their VAs very harsh compared to McClellands rich and smooth VAs.

It wasn't until I finally wandered into the world of lats and burleys that I started to appreciate other blending houses. C&D has some wonderful lat blends, whereas MCclellands lats haven't done much for me. Likewise I find C&D burleys to be outstanding. Still, live VAs, C&D aromatics fall flat for me, and I lean towards Boswells and P&W, as well as McClelland and one or two others for these.

Are certain blenders your go to for one type of tobacco, and other blenders for another?

You have pretty much hit it on the head for the two major American boutique blenders (i.e., McClelland is known for their VAs and C&D for their Burley blends + Latakia blends with the GLP line they manufacture). I would add to this Altadis as associated with aromatics (and cheap packaging). On the European side, I would add: SG = flakes; G&H = plugs; Orlik = a little bit of everything; and K&K = (well, K&K, I only associate with the Rattray's portfolio, but they manuf. a lot of other things).