Tobacco weight loss

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ireland

Reaction score
Just curious if this has happened to anyone: I opened a 4oz. jar earlier that is a few years old. I decided to weigh the contents and noticed it only weighed 3.475 oz.

I used a very accurate digital scale. Is it possible the slight difference in weight could be due to loss of moisture? Or did the person who jarred the tobacco in the first place just not have an accurate scale?

It's not a big deal to me I'm just wondering now if all my jarred bulk will loose that much moisture over the years

It is possible that the moisture contributes to weight. It doesn't sound unheard of, but it has been my experience that jars tend to keep moisture pretty well.

My jars, even with 2-5 years of age, have had consistent weight. The seal that develops is a guarantee of that.

That's what I'm thinking. Sealed in a ball/mason jar, there shouldn't have been almost a half ounce loss of weight.... I guess the person I got the jar from wasn't honest about the weight he put in it :/

I remeber GL Pease saying somewhere his tins were always a little heavier than advertised. This leads me to believe the reverse might be true somewhere from time to time.

Are you sure it was not 100g and not 4 oz? 100g is about 3.55 oz I think. The seller may have had it wrong. What blender was it?