tobacconists in Lexington Kentucky

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al in Canada

Reaction score
Bretheren (and sisteren) of the Briar,
I am going to be in Lexington Kentucky for a couple of days in July, can you recommend and Pipe Friendly tobacconists? (is the guy at Fayette Cigar as grouchy as I hear? That store has been there forever, I remember buying comics there in the '50s :D )

I would love to find a place with a good selection of tinned and bulk tobaccos, and if they are giving it away so much the better :lol!:

thanks in advance,
Al (in Canada)

"Scwabs pipes n stuff"... Not great but it is passable.

Before the old man died it was the greatest Pipe store on the planet, now that he's gone its got alot more "n Stuff".
The good thing is its mostly 'man stuff' so that shouldn't bug ya to bad.
Don't know if Canadians worry with 'Domestic' Cigars (US slang for anything not cuban) but they always seem to have a good selection of sticks.
They sometimes have shelves and shelves of tobacco, and sometimes they just have 8-10 tins. Gobs of jar tobacco out though.. Could find anything from Lane 1Q up to G&H Twists set up in those jars... And don't buy any of the boys bs about being tobacconist and blenders.. their not, but they managed to get enough of the old mans DNA to know what to order to keep the shop open.

I'll have to second the description of Schwab's. I live about 80 miles south of Lexington, and stop in when I can. The inventory is wanton compared to when Paul was living, but it is still ok. There is Straus downtown in the Lexington Centre, but the last time i was in there, the pipe tobacco was lacking. Only three jars. And yes the guy at Fayette Cigar Store is definately grouchy, but lots of cigars if you like them.

Hey New Smoker.... where you live man????? I grew up in Barbourville.. Your around London or Corbin, Right?

And I grew up in Lexington, out off Versailes Road, when Cardinal Valley was still a farm, and there was nothing much beyond Mason-Headley Road but farms, until I went to high school. Then I moved to the other end of town and was out on Henry Clay Blvd.

No living family left in Kentucky so haven't been back in a while.

Let me expand my search area, is there a shop in one of the outlying towns worth the drive? Winchester, Paris, Cynthiana, etc.???? Should I be thinking along I 75 (Florence Mall Y'all)?

Thanks guys,

Al
"A Kentucky gentleman needs no introduction."

Mentioning places along I 75, Seems like there was a Tinderbox in the Florence Mall several years ago, and Maybe another tobacconist in the vicinity of the mall, but that has been several years ago. Might check the net for the Florence chamber of commerce or businesses in the city. In Cincinatti, there is a Straus Tobacconist if memory serves me on walnut street. 420 may or may not be the address.

Jason

Straus has another shop near the Florence mall but I'm not sure exactly where...

if you do not mind the drive to Louisville while you are here...there is a great little smoke shop call the Oxmoor smoke shoppe...at oxmoor mall. The guys there are nice as can be and a good selection.

if you do not mind the drive to Louisville while you are here...there is a great little smoke shop call the Oxmoor smoke shoppe...at oxmoor mall. The guys there are nice as can be and a good selection.

The trip to Lexington went well, with too much to do in too little time. Renewed touch with good people i hadn't seen in at least 20 years, and in most cases 40 years.

Yes Schwabs was worth the stop, a limited tin selection, but a very good selection of bulks. The young man was willing to identify the manufacturer and "true name" of the blends. Actually quite friendly about pipes, while admitting Cigars were "his thing".
And without giving details I did find a another place in the Bluegrass with Dunhill tins on the shelf for $7.95 a tin. Only Royal Yacht and London Mixture, but that was a great find for me. :cheers:
Unfortunately for me I had used up my tobacco budget and most of my import allowance by the time I made the find, so I couldn't clean him out. So let the treasure hunt begin, see if you can find it before I get someone to go in and buy up the rest for me. :twisted:

Happy hunting,
Al (in Canada)
London Mixture in a 3 dot Brigham bulldog

I probably know where your talking about...

I can top it..

I know a place in Southern Alabama real close to Rad Davis that has rolls and rolls and rolls of Standard Mixture Medium, Standard Mixture Mild, Early Morning Pipe, and London Mixture... The 'its not imported, must buy it all for later ebay sale' crowd has never thought to look anywhere but Tobacco shops.

puros_bran":co2b16y2 said:
I probably know where your talking about...

I can top it..

I know a place in Southern Alabama real close to Rad Davis that has rolls and rolls and rolls of Standard Mixture Medium, Standard Mixture Mild, Early Morning Pipe, and London Mixture... The 'its not imported, must buy it all for later ebay sale' crowd has never thought to look anywhere but Tobacco shops.
I bow to you sir! :D

The Ebay speculators better get a move on and sell before everyone gets the news : "CAO to distrubte Dunhill tobacco in US this Fall". The price of those tins are going to fall faster than the over inflated real estate prices have in the past year. :joker: Going down??? :lol!:

Al (in Canada)