Tom Petty's guitars stolen

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
Five guitars belonging to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers have been stolen from a Southern California soundstage where the band has been rehearsing for an upcoming tour.

Culver City Police Sgt. Dan Sukal says the theft at The Culver Studios was reported Thursday.

On its website, the band offered a "no questions asked" $7,500 reward for information leading to the return of the instruments.

The stolen guitars include Petty's blond 1967 12-string Rickenbacker and his Gibson SGTVJunior, Mike Campbell's blue Dusenberg, Ron Blair's Fender Broadcaster and Scott Thurston's 1967 Epiphone Sheridan.

The band is known for a string of hit singles such as "American Girl", "Don't Do Me Like That," and "Breakdown." Their tour kicks off on April 18 in Broomfield, Colo.

The Culver Studios is a sprawling complex of 16 soundstages west of downtown Los Angeles.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/14/tom-petty-guitars-stolen-theft_n_1426215.html

I wouldnt even want a reward, if I could catch the Punk _ _ _, *&^%$#@ 's !
It would be reward enough to know you helped get his guitars back.

Stealing a Mans Guitar (s) would be like stealing a Mans Horse (s), or heck, like stealing a Mans Favorite Pipes.

Get A ROPE !!!!!!!

DustyRoundup":gko2nhbx said:
I wouldnt even want a reward, if I could catch the Punk _ _ _, *&^%$#@ 's !
It would be reward enough to know you helped get his guitars back.

Stealing a Mans Guitar (s) would be like stealing a Mans Horse (s), or heck, like stealing a Mans Favorite Pipes.

Get A ROPE !!!!!!!
Dusty, I notice you didn't include stealing a man's woman in your list. :lol:

Wow, Mike Campbell leaves his Broadcaster at a soundstage overnight?
He must be a very trusting person, as that is a guitar that's worth over $100,000...

It must have been a scramble for the guitar techs until they were recovered.

mark":dvj2o81g said:
It must have been a scramble for the guitar techs until they were recovered.
I'll bet!
It just amazes me that rock stars at rehearsal can't be bothered to just throw the guitars in the trunk and take them home.
And it was probably an inside job.

I had to google Broadcaster. I'd never heard of one before. Very collectible. Do they play differntly than Teles or Strats?

MisterE":svfc43k9 said:
I had to google Broadcaster. I'd never heard of one before. Very collectible. Do they play differntly than Teles or Strats?
The Broadcaster is basically a very early Tele with a different wiring layout. Originally Fender was going to call their first Spanish electric model the "Esquire", until someone came up with the catchier "Broadcaster" tag, and the Esquire became the budget model. Then, Gretsch threatened to sue because they had a line of drums called the "Broadkaster", which led to the so called "nocaster" guitars, because Fender simply snipped the "Broadcaster" off of the headstock decal. After a while, Fender's marketing guy came up with "Telecaster", and by 1953, the classic wiring layout was in place, and the rest is twang history...