Tongue Bite Cure

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruraldean

Reaction score
Even the most experienced smoker forgets himself from time to time and hammers a VA, as I have just done after three consecutive bowls. Pillock. Similarly, noobs may drop the pipe like a hot pan after their first VA or aro experience. The reason? Tongue bite.

But there is a cure, which I'd forgotten about (being mainly an English smoker) until my son "rediscovered" it last week.

Red wine.

I favour Merlots, but I'm guessing others may work. Merlot is an extremely soft grape type, with a very mellow flavour. When my tongue bites (like it was five minutes ago) I pour a little into the glass, fill my mouth, and let it soak for a few seconds. Swallow. By the second attempt you will note that the tongue bite has all but disappeared. Many of you will go on to finish the bottle, but for the curative process to take place this will not be necessary. I recommend it however for other reasons.

The bottom line is, chaps, that this works, and I commend it to you at least for experimental purposes. Your feedback on this would be much appreciated, although adoption of our method may damage sales of Biotene.

It might be the tannins in the wine; tannins are antioxidant and reduce swelling in the mouth. (My Dad used to swear by a tannic acid/benzocaine nostrum called Tanac for sore gums.) That combined with the moisture of the wine (always good whilst smoking) and perhaps the the alcohol helping dissolve the volatile stuff sticking to your mouth and tongue, and you're in business.

As for replacing Biotene... Biotene is $12 a liter, about the same price as decent table wine. (Wine's more fun to drink, though.)

Humm... :scratch:
Another reason to drink alchoholic beverages.....
I like it!!!! :cheers:

If you drink the whole bottle of wine before you light up, you will never notice the tongue bite. :D

Mike Brissett

"When my tongue bites (like it was five minutes ago) I pour a little into the glass, fill my mouth, and let it soak for a few seconds. Swallow. By the second attempt you will note that the tongue bite has all but disappeared. Many of you will go on to finish the bottle, but for the curative process to take place this will not be necessary. I recommend it however for other reasons."

Yes, red wine is gift from God for the human body when used as a food and not as an intoxacant. To this I add a tool well known in the rest of the world but not so much in America.......the tongue scraper. I use a tongue scraper every night to clean the tars and food from the carpet of taste buds that cover the tongue. You'd be amazed at the gunk that you get doing this while the tongue is bright and pink when you get done.

<a href='/u340' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Doc Manhattan'>@Doc Manhattan</a>":km1bowdd said:
It might be the tannins in the wine; tannins are antioxidant and reduce swelling in the mouth.
I thought it was the acidity of drinks like wine (or cola, etc.) which offset the alkalinity from the tobacco?

In any case, my cure for tongue bite is to just stop smoking and buying those kinds of blends!

There's too many others out there for me to suffer through the nuisance of tongue bite.

EJinVA":uzc494kf said:
Humm... :scratch:
Another reason to drink alchoholic beverages.....
I like it!!!! :cheers:
Count me in. :D

My tongue bite seems to be chronic, and seems to happen with any number of blends.

I'm a fairly new smoker.

Here's what I've done, with little or no success:

-> Take a break for 4-5 days between smoking.
-> Worked on my technique, so I"m not over puffing
-> Switched blends (though still love the SG Best Brown Flake)
-> Switched pipes

Still get a real sting on the tongue and roof of the mouth. This is really frustrating.

The blends I"ve tried are Aro's, Va's and Orientals.

Maybe tonight I'll try some Merlot.

This TB could be a show stopper for me. :(

I could really use some help. Seems like I"m doing everything right, according to the many articles I've read.

Thanks,

Mr. C

What I have read is that the smoke from Virginia tobaccos is highly alkaline, to the point of causing alkaline burn. You can counteract this with an acidic beverage. I normally drink coffee, but wine is also acidic which is probably why it works for others here. I have also heard of others using orange juice or soda - same thing.

The alkalinity of VA tobacco smoke is one of the reasons blenders add Latakia and other blending tobaccos - the smoke from those varieties is more alkaline than that from VAs so it creates a more neutral smoke. That's why most English blends are much less likely to cause tongue bite, at least the type of bite that comes from alkalinity.

Smoke correctly as to the tabac demands, with a pipe that has been"opened up" , I dont get tb, I give it! :D :tongue: Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: